AMD announces October showcase of Next-Gen GPUs

Perhaps it’s worth waiting to see what AMD has in store and what arises out of the competition between Nvidia and AMD.

6 Likes

Absolutely! Imo it would be foolish to buy a 3000 series card, before we see what the competition has to offer. It’s likely nVidia’s prices will drop (assuming the AMD cards are good) and the availability might go up.

However, I’m sure there are some people around here that will simply HAVE to get a 3080 or 3090 asap. I understand. I feel that urge myself, but it’s likely you’ll pay a premium for one of those early cards.

6 Likes

Somewhere between a 3070 and 3080 with 16gb ddr6 for £550 is my punt

2 Likes

That’s quite reasonable. I’d prefer to spend less, but my limit is ~$1000. I’d really like more than 10GB too.

1 Like

@neal_white_iii Let’s raid a render farm and pull out a stack of Quadro RTX 6000/8000.
2 in NvLink watercooling, is slightly above the TitAN, the twice, if multi GPU Gaming come back and should be sufficient for the 8kX with 48/96 Gig Vram before the 40xx comes in

2 Likes

id rather pay a bit more, and have hasslefree VR experience.
But hoping AMD will bring some serious competition into the GFX market, and pressure Nvidia to lower prices (not likely to happen)

6 Likes

Maybe the pimax experience and a 3000 series card will be all that.

2 Likes

Pimax != Hassle Free.

3 Likes

Well, if you want to have a hassle free VR experience, you shouldn’t be using a Pimax. I have absolutely no issues using my Vive with my AMD card. Meanwhile, there are still more than enough problems with Pimax even on Nvidia GPUs.

The lowering of prices thanks to AMD has already happened. It’s the reason why the 2080Ti successor (3080) goes for $699 instead of $1499 while at the same time having a bigger performance increase than the previous generation.

3 Likes

Well if I want a Wide FOV and don’t want to sell both my kidneys and a lung, i’ll have but one choise.
Pimax 8Kx which I have happily paid for and waiting to have shipped.
and with Pimax Experience that im beta testing it’s aproaching the level of hassle free fast !

Team Red, been there several times, not going back (well not enterily true my next CPU will be AMD)
But that’s just me :grin:

6 Likes

For me, I might buy an AMD card if it is outright better for VR than the RTX 3090, or if there is something cheap in the lineup somewhere that will be more stable on Linux than this RX 560 with all the monitors on my workstation…

A big problem with AMD has been the lack of motion compensation units for Smart Smoothing, Foveated Rendering, etc, as well as the same lack of multi-GPU VR support as NVIDIA.

4 Likes

Currently, I’m eyeing towards the RTX 3080 20GB, but if AMD releases a similarly performing GPU with at least 16GB at a drastically lower price, I will probably go for that.

Motion smoothing is working fine on Vive on AMD. It’s up to Pimax to implement it. I might even try to do it myself if I had access to the source code.
VRS is supported by RDNA2. We’ll see how that one goes, but Pimax has so far ignored my questions if they are working on it for DFR or not. This shouldn’t be too difficult to implement for AMD though.

2 Likes

Honestly motion smoothing is, IMO, hugely overrated and distracting. Even on an oculus HMD. I had thought steamvr’s implementation was just worse when it first came out for the vive, but really all of them give the ‘water painting’ effect when not hitting targeting frametimes. Also, it’s an additional load on the CPU. Async is the only thing that feels real to me.

2 Likes

A lot of VR apps are not usable at all without Smart Smoothing, because there just isn’t enough performance on a single GPU. Only way we VR users don’t need to at least have this option available is if we can use multi-GPU.

3 Likes

Which AMD, at what TotalSR (supersampling resolution), and what is are frame latency impacts measured by FPSVR?

Last time I tried with an AMD Radeon VII, IIRC, it was possible to make it work briefly, but not well, and since it supposedly worked better with AMD Vega cards, things were headed for the worse, not better.

1 Like

I hope team red will bring their A game to playing ketchup. It worked in he CPU space, but oh boy is it a big hill to climb.

Sure there are apps that cannot reach the panel refresh rate at full fov on the newest headsets, no doubt. I’m glad it’s a feature for those who enjoy it, I’m just saying it’s not a complete and total game changer for me, and I leave it off even in laggy titles (flight sims, fallout 4 etc).

My opinion is that running the laggy apps with smart smoothing is a far worse experience than just accepting ~40 FPS. Gun sights turn into a warbly mess, and so do gauges in sims. Maybe this only happens when the framerate isn’t constant?

It does do wonders for motion sickness though compared to stomaching 40FPS, can’t deny that.

2 Likes

End of October is quite far away. They should have announced some upcoming info mid October. Still I hope they talk about it earlier and release it on 28th.

1 Like

Has someone announced a 3080 w/ 20 GB?

Which basically means AMD is incompatible with those apps. So buying AMD GPU guarantees not being able to run some VR apps and use cases entirely.