ALVR + Gear VR + skyrim

So I tried alvr on Gear VR and Galaxy S9. It really surprised me how smooth the streaming on 5g Wireless was. I fired skyrim up and then came a wow when I saw it in “5 K” resolution + wireless…really amazing.
Of course its not playable due to lack of head tracking and no support of controllers, but I am figuering it out with needed accessories :wink:
Cheers

3 Likes

I’ve seen ALVR mentioned a few times recently so gave it a try last night after your post. Just a quick look around in steamvr home and a quick go on elite dangerous. I’m actually surprised how well it works! There is potential for this being one viable method of wireless VR in the future once 6DoF is available in mobile/portable VR.

may i ask what is ALVR

“ALVR is an open source remote VR display for Gear VR and Oculus Go. With it, you can play SteamVR games in your standalone headset.”

Basically stream your PC VR to gearvr etc…

1 Like

holy shit thats amazing.

To be honest, I find a remarkable resoultion difference between Gear vr and my rift. The clarity is too much better, mybe due to the high ppi on galasxy s9, and the better lenses on the gear vr. The sweet spot is way bigger, and the ipd setting is for me atleast perfect. I dont see any line in the middle on gear vr, whilst its always there on rift no matter how I change the ipd…
Next step is to combine vive wands and basestations with gear vr… of course while waiting for pimax 8k :wink:

@Dr.sam
You should look up nolo VR :grin:

May you try riftcat to compare.

I am aware of nolo, but it just doesnt worth 200 euro for me, as long as i already bought vive controllers for the pimax 8k.

Riftcat is fine as well but has issues with gear vr, and less smooth than alvr.

1 Like

Last time I test this version of riftcat
https://www.reddit.com/r/vridge/comments/8rb5pr/vridge_222_preview_the_antijitter_update_download/

I found that this version have better steaming and not found artifcat, but still have issues about black space around the image still moving while turning my head.

So I am waiting for the next official update, if riftcat can solve this issues, may it is better after I can’t use it for wirless mode for a long time. Gear vr version may come later.

Moved to General Discussions

Eno

ALVR is an open source remote VR display for Gear VR and Oculus Go. With it, you can play SteamVR games in your standalone headset.

ALVR streams VR display output from your PC to Gear VR / Oculus Go via Wi-Fi. This is similar to Riftcat or Trinus VR, but our purpose is optimization for Gear VR. ALVR provides smooth head-tracking compared to other apps in a Wi-Fi environment using Asynchronous Timewarp.

Now, we have Gear VR / Oculus Go Controller support!