About M1 closed beta

Hi Futurists,

Only those who spend hours a day in the virtual world and have tried out all types of headsets are eligible to claim what the best VR experience is.

We are glad to have a community full of such enthusiasts - many of you have witnessed the evolution of the home computer and consumer VR, even the early wave of VR headsets back in the 90’s.

Like in all emerging industries, enthusiasts play a crucial role in pushing the boundaries of VR. In fact, the inspiration of Pimax 8K stems from the interactions with enthusiasts in this community. For the last two years, you have been contributing thoughts and feedback based on your experience with 4K, (and other headsets), which in turn has allowed us to build and shape 8K.

We are about to start a round of closed beta testing for the Pimax 8K M1 prototype. The goal is to have some of you to test the prototypes from both professional and enthusiast’s perspective, and let the Pimax team know how the experience matches up to your expectations. All feedback, suggestions for minor tweaks, and of course your time, is greatly appreciated!

Here are the steps for the closed beta:

1. We will email our chosen testers to confirm their participation (around 10 in total, to account for availability of headsets and manageability of the program), starting this week
  2. We will start shipping to the testers as soon as M1 testing units are ready.
  3. Testers inform Pimax team when they have received the units
  4. Shortly after, we will announce the testers in the forum
  5. Testers answer a standarized questionnaire from Pimax team - the questionnaire will let you know what stage to complete it at during testing and when to have it finished by
  6. Testers join the closed discussion and communicate with Pimax team - Login details for the closed forum will be shared alongside the questionnaire
  7. Testers agree on a release date that allows all testers to have time to organize the reviews - this can take place in the forum
  8. After the testing period is over and we head into the release day, testers can now answer questions engage in the open forum with the rest of the Pimax community about M1 and their experiences

Bests,

The Pimax Team

45 Likes

Sounds like a very good idea having closed testing first Xunshu!
Thank you for the update.

22 Likes

Thank you very much for the update, Xunshu!

9 Likes

Excited to learn you guys feel confident enough to send the HMD’s out soon, great news!

12 Likes

Thanks for the update! I look forward to reading the first impressions and reviews. I truly hope that the Pimax 8K will be an amazing headset.

"the early wave of VR headsets back in the 90’s" I actually got to try two of those. One was 320x240 (per eye) at a “Dave and Buster’s” a restaurant/bar/gaming-center. Later, I got to try a 640x480 (per eye) unit that the president of the company I worked for bought. Iirc, he paid over $800 for it. Needless to say, neither was ready for “prime time”.

4 Likes

sounds like a plan. will look forward to the testers reviews.

Thanks for the update.

5 Likes

I was also lucky enough to try pterodactyl nightmare circa 91ish in a huge hmd with a gun. Pretty cool.

5 Likes

So can i be choosen, please? I am a VR Enthusiast since day 1. I owe all current vr headsets, vive, oculus, psvr, mixed reality headset, gearvr. I think i can get the BEST comparison from the enthusiast’s point of view.

Also yes, i backed the Pimax 8k on kickstarter. (Best decision of my life).
@deletedpimaxrep1

So i guess between mid and the end of april we will get to know the results of the closed beta test of M1. Hopefully there are no mayor flaws so mass production and shipping can start shortly after.

Maybe it’s time to talk a little about controller and sensors? Any information on their status?

@allocen The number of M1 units will be very limited, so, we cannot guarantee everyone on the waiting list will get an M1 this time, but thanks a lot for letting us know!

@schismatic There will be another progress update later this week.

11 Likes

I don’t meet all the criteria but if you guys make a demo tour and drop by Tokyo, would be more than happy to spend time and give good feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the update @deletedpimaxrep1 :slight_smile:
Can’t wait

10 Likes

thank you pimax

the most powerful vr headset in world

I cant waitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!

2 Likes

Thank you @deletedpimaxrep1 for the update! Very good idea to start a closed beta test!
Of course I hope, I will be under the 10 testers, I’m VR enthusiast since release of the first VR headsets (I even got the VFX1 Headgear from 1994 ^^) and I have all VR headsets at home (Vive, Vive Pro, Rift, PSVR, WMR Samsung Odyssey, Daydream, GearVR, Lenovo Mirage), so I could compare them.

13 Likes

Great news for PIMAX to see this project is moving along, getting their product available ahead of the next generation of HMD’s from the competition may make or break the success of the 8K. Given the pricing of HMD’s few consumers can afford to buy several over the period of a year, presently the VR community is thirsty for an upgrade. I wish you the best success in the run up to release.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @deletedpimaxrep1, seems to be a good plan to go about the beta feedback.

@VoodooDE since when do you already have a VivePro at home, didn’t catch that over on your channel?

@twack3r
A lot of people already have the Vive Pro at home (Cas&Chary, Oasis, Nathie, etc). I received mine today :slight_smile:
However the review will take some time of course. I’d love to compare the Pimax with the Pro and the Odyssey!

5 Likes

Sounds good. I hope you choose the testers wisely. It sure helps if people get them who have many headsets to compare the 8K. VoodooDE seems to be one of them.
Personaly I am an ethusiast from day one, I do however only own a Vive right now and I have family and limited time. Eventhough I’d wish to get my greedy hands on one of the first 8K I know that there are at least 10 others that can server our goal better than I can right now.

2 Likes

Ah wicked, congrats!

Looking forward to hearing if you like it as much as tribalinstincts does.

1 Like

Voodoo Du musst auf jeden Fall dabei sein. Bist fast der einzige deutsche VR Kanal. You have to be a tester!!

2 Likes