About 60-70% performance improved on RTX2080Ti

From his tests it was around 30%, same as pimax reported

2 Likes

VoodooDE already posted his 1080Ti vs 2080Ti benchmarks and the improvements were less than 30% on average.

Apologies if it sounds like I am coming across as argumentative with you. My issue is with Pimax making outlandish claims that could have some people rush out to purchase a $1200 GPU expecting it to be 70% faster than a 1080Ti.

7 Likes

Can you please read the topic from the start to the end very very wisely?

1 Like

Exactly, so if there was some extra algorithm optimisation for RTX, it should have been more, closer to 70% if the title of this post was accurate.

And you too my friend. If you canā€™t, Iā€™ll point you something:

1. New algorithm isnā€™t yet supported by 8k (voodoo tested with 8k)
  2. Testers most likely have disabled that feature or tested unsupported games
1 Like

Follow your own advice, no where does it say that the algorithm is new.

The only thing they say is new is that they tested it with an RTX2080ti

edit: you might be right about needing 5k+ though

edit2: if you read:
ā€œTo do backward compatibility with the old game based Unreal 4.17 or below, we add a checkbox in the PiTool, but it seems most users turn on the setting but forget to turn off it when playing the new games, thus, they didnā€™t take the advantage of our new rendering algorithm.ā€

It seem to me that they are saying it is already there, but most people arenā€™t using it.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/about-60-70-performance-improved-on-rtx2080ti/9072/9?u=icdp

See this earlier post from VoodooDE in this thread. He clearly states the existing PiTool has the ā€œcompatible with parallel projectionsā€.

It will be disappointing if rtx cards wonā€™t provide extra performance in the new games at title says, but as mentioned before - needs to be checked first, Iā€™ll cross my fingers and hope it will, cause Indeed that will make upgrading from 1080ti to 2080ti more effective. Hope voodoo will give us some clarification soon.

1 Like

Sure thing, but it wasnā€™t tested before with 2080ti in supported games and we donā€™t know if rtx cards performs better or not.

I re-read the whole thread, I think Pimax was talking about this new quality features on the 8k when they replayed to Voodoo

Not the performance optimisations.

As long as Pimax wonā€™t answer to my questions I donā€™t know if I got the right version to test. They said sth about firmware upgrade, but it didnā€™t get any firmware upgrade or Pitool upgrade since weeks.
I tried Pitool 1.75 and Steam 60% with the current 76 version and RTX 2080 Ti but there seems no improvement with black values.
Also the parallel projections setting is not new. Itā€™s implemented since many versionsā€¦

7 Likes

I thought they did, saying 5k+ is already working and can be tested and 8k+ will require firmware update after holidays.

2 Likes

Like I said, I think they were replying to Voodoos question about quality improvements.

ā€œAlso you will implement some new settings ONLY on the Pitool rendering quality 1.75 with a new firmware?ā€

1 Like

They have clearly asked 3 reviewers to make some tests by checking this feature and added that it currently works on 5k+.

1 Like

1 Like

You mean this?

You are right that they clearly ask the reviewers to make tests of this feature, but they also clearly say that it is so they know which games support it.

Edit: You combining two not directly related replies is not helping clarityā€¦

Yes, 2 pictures from above. And the list of supported games (not all of them, but very popular and known) is also given. Scyrim and onward for example.

P.s. Iā€™m clearly not. The whole thread is about new algorithm and most of replies are referring to it. The questions about upcoming gamma changes are unanswered and most likely it will require software update as well.

Even more, this statement from the first post clearly says 60% difference compared to 1080ti.

So Iā€™m a bit confused, this means that the new rendering algorithm will also work with 1080ti right?.

In any case, since I chose 8k, Iā€™m pretty happy with Pimax trying to achieve more clarity and I wouldnā€™t mind losing some brightness in exchange since itā€™s already brighter than 5k+, they really seem to be working really hard in improving both performance and image quality, if they can achieve 72hz Iā€™ll probably have it always on, I donā€™t mind Gear VR 60hz so 72hz would be ok for me.

In any case, if we can get 72hz + new rendering algorithm + 2080ti + brainwarp, we could get some massive performance improvements.

Still, @PimaxVR can you please confirm which HZ modes are already working on 8k between 60hz, 72hz? Iā€™ve only seen some of those modes confirmed for 5k+.

The irony of all this is that with all firmware and PiTool changes incoming, some of the reviews may be obsolete by the time the HMDs are released.

3 Likes

Itā€™s still not confirmed if it does and if RTX performs better than Pascal. I believe its ā€œyesā€ in both cases.

This is sadly a rather dishonest post. You can get a performance improvement if you start out with bad settings, or if you upgrade your graphics card. And you can lower requirements if you donā€™t notice low frame rates. Thatā€™s very individual. The title of the post alone implies that a graphics card upgrade isnā€™t involved, saying ā€œon Xā€, not ā€œwhen switching to Xā€.

AdoredTVā€™s Nvidia Turing Marketing Survival Guide is an excellent guide through these marketing tactics; itā€™s all about cherrypicking a configuration that bottlenecks.

By the way, that DLSS is precisely the sort of high latency upscaler we typically donā€™t want to deal with in VR; its best properties are that itā€™s dedicated hardware (as long as the tensor/ā€œAIā€ cores are unused) and sits before the cable (so it can get started immediately after render, no transfer delay). The worst is that it is only building an image thatā€™s a guess as to what sort of images a particular game produces; so if the gameā€™s own graphics improve, the DLSS will be out of tune and may do just about anything. Same for if you find something nvidiaā€™s training didnā€™t.

4 Likes