About 60-70% performance improved on RTX2080Ti

@PimaxVR Can you please implement at least brightness slider and colour temperature correction in next version of PiTool ?
5k + unit really need this, more than performance fix. Please get this to high priority list as many of new user will be disppointed ( especially Elite Dangerous & Everspace fans )

6 Likes

Did anyone know the answer?

I want to know it too

Regarding the ramp-up plan, currently, we have one production line, and the capacity is 30-50PCS/day. the full capacity for one production line is 100PCS/day.

We will set up another two lines according to the plan;
The target is

Line 1 reaches its full capacity at the end of October with 100PCS/day
Line 1 and Line 2 reach full capacity at the end of November with 200PCS/day
Line 1, Line 2 and Line3 reach full capacity at the end of December with 300PCS/day
Current the bottleneck of production capacity is the shortage of several parts from our vendors. as you know, in the early stage of the mass production, our vendors they also need ramp-up and get the stable yield rate.

weā€™re working together with our key vendors, helping them to improve the yield rate quickly.
No high yield rate, No high capacity.

But the 300PCS/day is not a big challenge for the whole supply chain when the yield rate gets stable. For the smartphone industry, they usually request the capacity of 5000PCS-10000PCS/day.

32 Likes

Eeeey. Pimax talks!!! Love you, guys. Hard work indeed.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

I dont want to be too critical, but wouldnt it be better to get those ā€œseveral partsā€ on stock in ā€œsufficient quantitiesā€¦ā€ before you start mass production ??

I think there was enough time to pre-order those needed partsā€¦

Just my thoughtsā€¦

1 Like

What is PCS ???

1 Like

PCS = pieces ā€¦

4 Likes

I donā€™t worry about the production stuff, I mean, they have experience in that domain, unlike most of us.
Base on those numbers, even if the ramp take longer than expected, backers ā€œordersā€ should be manufactured and probably shipped by the end of the year (thatā€™s what I hoped considering iā€™m a #5000+ backer).

Iā€™m more interested in those ā€œoptimisationsā€ for RTX that they are talking about. Is this really related to multi view rendering ? I though this had to be implemented by the game devs.

Anyway, I really hope some game devs will implement DLSS. It looks very promising, but we also so results from tighly controlled demos, provided by nvidia so far.

[quote=ā€œnukular, post:189, topic:9072, full:trueā€]wouldnt it be better to get those ā€œseveral partsā€ on stock in ā€œsufficient quantitiesā€¦ā€ before you start mass production ??

I think there was enough time to pre-order those needed partsā€¦
[/quote]Then what would have happened if the parts had to be switched with other ones due to issues or feedbacks?!
Youā€™re only sure of what parts you will need once the prototyping phase is complete. Sure some standard parts will always be needed, but Iā€™m pretty sure the bottleneck is not on these, and more on the specific parts for this project.

And so, that wouldnā€™t have been efficient to wait for significant amount of parts before starting production if, as they said, even pimax production lines need to ramp up.

4 Likes

Yes that makes senceā€¦

1 Like

But they are getting high fallout from the sub assemblies. Order 220 sets as he said and get 70 that can pass. New parts can have a high QA unsatisfactory rate. That will get a lot better. I bet the sub they refer to is the lcd assembly. Those are much more complex than most people think. On a product I worked on we had an LCD QA fail rate of 80% the first few weeks.

6 Likes

Iā€™m also very interested in this. Does this work on the normal 2080? if so what boost does it get? How many games does this work on now? Also how is this working? is it allowing you to turn down Steam SS setting or Pimax PiTool quality setting?
@PimaxVR

1 Like

If itā€™s related to multi view rendering, there is no reason it shouldnā€™t be working on other Turing cards. If not, I wonder what is so specific in the Ti model that can explain this.

Note that they didnā€™t talk about an increase in quality, but in performance. So there is no reason to turn down SS, on the contrary, it should help turning it up even more without losing performances

2 Likes

if its multi view rendering do the games need to be re-complied with VR works?
What I meant by turning off SS is are there doing some sort of SS with this new algorithm so the game looks just as good as if you had SS turned on but you are getting better performance because using the tensor cores instead

1 Like

Also, it is reassuring to know that they are doing the necessary QA

1 Like

[quote=ā€œpeteo, post:197, topic:9072, full:trueā€]
if its multi view rendering do the games need to be re-complied with VR works?
[/quote]Thatā€™s my understanding, hence why iā€™m interested in what is that algorythm improvement that give better results on a 2080Ti compared to other cards.

As I said, there nothing in what they said that point to an improvement in the visual quality, just more performance. So, with the same graphical settings as before, you shouldnā€™t notice any visual improvement (just better framerate), hence turning down SS will result in lower quality.

1 Like

If the algorithm does some kind of smart anti aliasing you might be able to turn down or turn off super sampling. Which would save cpu/gpu power

1 Like

I believe youā€™re misundersting what a ā€œrendering algorythmā€ is.

1 Like

I think heā€™s talking about DLSS of which there are 2 settings, one aims to keep the same quality whilst increasing performance, the other aims to increase quality but we havent seen what the relative performance is on this mode yet. We also donā€™t if/when any VR games are going to use DLSS (which uses the tensor cores).

1 Like

Yet, I donā€™t believe itā€™s what Pimax is talking about. If it was so ā€œsimpleā€ that it could be implemented externally (without game devs modifying their code), there would be discutions about implementing the features in each game or not.

1 Like