A concern about hitting hmd

3 Likes

I was also wondering about this. I’ve mashed my controllers into my head a few times with the Vive. Particularly in archery games when I’ve tried to take a quick shot. Luckily the Vive headset is very sturdy but the Pimax looks considerably wider and the plastic seems thin and brittle to help with the weight (as seen with the damages from little bumps in the leaks).

Hopefully this is one of the things being addressed in the M2. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if Hyperkin can make gel covers/skins for the 8K headset later on. I really like their stuff!

9 Likes

im sure they will be on sites like AliExpress in no time.

1 Like

With the right plastic material and If the internal ribs are properly designed it should not break so easily.

2 Likes

Using any kind of skins om the Vive controllers may reduce the risk of hitting too hard as well.

2 Likes

Using vr gloves might also help.
At least no controller and no headset would break :wink:

4 Likes

That’s a good point, if I need to put mine back on I certainly will. Although not on the hand part because I’ve found that the grip part significantly reduced haptics.
Yeah I swap guns over my shoulder pretty quick in pavlov. Def need something there to prevent dinging it, and god forbid worse.

Whilst this would take away from the nice design, I think there is definitely a need for it. Especially with the sharp edges.

I only have a WMR Visor but I do tend to beat saber my walls or try to pass the walls for cover in other games - some “padding” would be awesome!

This is when owning a 3d printer comes in handy. I think I’ll print some TPU bumpers. It wont be pretty since I suck at 3D programs but I should be able to makes something functional.

5 Likes

@deletedpimaxrep1: any chances of geting a .stl or .obj or other 3d format of definitive pimax 8k/5k headset for personal modding use? Like printing own bumpers or similar. :grin: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Sounds cool. I’ll double check with the team.

12 Likes

Swevivers right, hyperkin makes decent designs. I did hear concerns that they might retain more heat though. And they obviously would make the pimax look like Swiss cheese again lol

1 Like

And your not gonna Etsy them so you can sell to the rest of us? I’d pay a few bucks for the peace of mind.

1 Like

I resorted to small self adhesive cut-out strips of velcro on my vive wands stuck over all the corners etc , The silicone sleeves can obscure the sensors a bit if the move about

I’m afraid rubber is too heavy. I’ll cut self-adhesive foam mats.

1 Like

@aesopfabled
No selling whatsoever. If I find some time and can design something useful (for example some 3d stuff) I would provide it to You and the community for free! Like over thingiverse or similar. Cheers!

3 Likes

The Pimax 4K was made with ABS plastic. That’s the stuff Legos are made of and have a bit of rubber in it for durability (it’ll flex a little and not shatter like PLA); not sure if it really needs a cover unless you care about scuffs. A silicone or TPU cover can’t hurt as long as it doesn’t block the sensors, I guess.

2 Likes

What is there to double check, you are in mass production now yes?