A better FFR using FSR

From openvr_fsr release notes:

“fixed foveated” optimization: FSR is now only applied to a configurable radius from the image centre, any pixels outside the radius are upscaled by cheaper bilinear filter. Even with a fairly small radius, it is often hard to tell the difference due to the current HMD lenses. Feel free to experiment with it and gain a few additional usecs for your frametime budget :slight_smile:

As FSR is Open Source, couldn’t it be integrated in PiTools?

4 Likes

Awesome find! I presume this is also agnostic of gpu branding?

@PimaxQuorra

1 Like

That’s still with the centre being upscaled, though. :7

1 Like

You can configure it as you wish

// Per-dimension render scale. If <1, will lower the game’s render resolution
// accordingly and afterwards upscale to the “native” resolution set in SteamVR.
// If >1, the game will render at its “native” resolution, and afterwards the
// image is upscaled to a higher resolution as per the given value.
// If =1, effectively disables upsampling, but you’ll still get the sharpening stage.
// AMD presets:
// Ultra Quality => 0.77
// Quality => 0.67
// Balanced => 0.59
// Performance => 0.50
“renderScale”: 0.77,

// tune sharpness, values range from 0 to 1
“sharpness”: 0.9,

2 Likes

Yes, but if we do 1, we no longer save anything from rendering at lower resolution. :7

However; Given how often we can’t get anywhere near native anyway, and still keep up with the refresh rate, I am sure FSR is generally much better than the usual “naiive” upscaling. :7

…but I guess what you may be up to, is running FSR on top of VRS? -I kind of wonder how FSR responds to the blockiness inherent to non-1x1 parts of the image (does VRS offer different interpolation methods?)…
If it is adversly affected, I wonder if there could be any quality optimisations to be gained from separating the reduced resolution areas, and quickscaling them down to 1:1, to get rid of the repeat/intermediary pixels, before “FSR-ing” them… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wonder if Pimax could just integrate FSR into Pitool since it’s open source. It could be another upsampling option.

4 Likes

Hello,

Thank you so much!
Will share this FSR to the Pitool and engineer team to inspect the compatibility and stability.
Hopefully this gonna work on our headset and providing spectacular experience.

9 Likes

In addition to the potential of FSR this video from Nvidia demonstrates a better fixed foveated rendering technique using blurring and contrast enhancement. Can we get something like this integrated in the FFR effect? Right now it’s very obvious and distracting.

4 Likes

As the current ffr is largely using Nvidia’s technique it might be possible. The vid above if not mistaken is from 2016.

@PimaxQuorra can you pass this onto the team

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.