8KX Review After Almost Three Weeks

1st Pic = Index / Quest / 8kx

2cd Pic = 5k+ / index / 8kx / Quest.

Am i right or am i right :))

Great review i also watched all of your through the lens vids thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

That’s my choice too for the first pic

1 Like

This is concerning. Are others experiencing the same issue?

2 Likes

aha I know what you’re talking about regrding “black dots” on index, I also don’t like this in Valve HMD as it’s too way distrative. It’s actually SDE, in index pixels arranged vertically & Valve has diffuser + they try to hide it in software but when you move your head quickly or not you often see verticle ripple, it can be fine tuned in advanced video settings (vertical pixels offset or something like that -4/-4 works best for me) it diminishe by a lot but still distracting.

I guess it’s SDE then, as everybody sayss they don’t see SDE but see mura on white backgroud, probably they see SDE

4 Likes

left quest as it’s most saturated + dark elements look not crushed.
2nd index as it’s most saturated amond the rest 2
3rd is pale 8kx, but its not that pale on picture as my 5k+ in reality

2 Likes

Very close! Not 100%. Also I don’t have any through-the-lens vids. I did record some but they were terrible due to flickering, so I never posted them.

1 Like

I know what you mean with the column correction, but the dots are something else…maybe I’ll try to get a picture later.

1 Like

did you try to buy virtual desktop & install sidequest variant with streamer, it looks much better than default link even with tweaked settings. It had much better colours & more sharpness for me, there is some lag but it’s very good for games like HL:A or VRChat, not acceptable though for echo arena, tennis games & so on (works better with 5 GHz router)

I thought about it, but I already own Virtual Desktop on PC…I don’t want to own it again… I did try ALVR and that was hit or miss. It’s not worth all the hassle when I can have a better experience on PC…then I also had the problem of my Quest controllers seemingly dying after not much play (which I finally learned to just take the batteries out after I’m done). Also not a fan of holding those controllers, they need a longer handle. The discomfort of the Quest isn’t fun either…although I could maybe add the Vive DAS…

try tape something about 230gramms, it owrks even on default strap, powerbank, canister with ballbearings anything

1 Like

a new Pimax with 130 Degree FOV with higher PPD would be very fine

3 Likes

I have a way more comfortable 8KX to use instead :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

more deegree… like this
Lord_Helmchen

1 Like

Is that 220? If someone knows? :thinking:

1 Like

Either way a TIE Fighter FOV is probably smaller, haha. I’m now curious to see if the TIE Fighter’s view is bigger or smaller than most headsets in Squadrons

Pimax users should be “shottying” a wide FOV cockpit

1 Like

Ooh i was looking at YouTube 8kx through the lens vids from “cover man” not “caz man” :joy:
Sorry for the confusion

Yes i also thought the same thing when looking at TIE fighter :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here are the (greyish)black dots I’m talking about, or at least my first attempt.

Reference picture zoomed already at 2X on my phone:

Zooming in with Paint(the obvious dot is my cursor, but about the same size as “the” dots):

2 Likes

this is what i got on the pimax 8kplus too,i hated it…

Project Cars 2 - the sense of speed was instantly more noticeable, along with car control, even while using small FOV. Focusing down the track isn’t an issue anymore either. I really want to play Project Cars 3 for the career, but I can’t see myself beta testing for bugs since it just launched, so I will be waiting for a big patch before I grab it.

DiRT Rally 2.0 - same thing, great sense of speed and car control (this is probably my favorite VR experience in general).

hi thank you
the 75hz don’t bother you during the race ???

2 Likes

Great review really informative and detailed. :0)

2 Likes