8KX performance vs Artisan?

Maybe this has already been explained already but can’t really find any direct comparisons - point me in the direction if it has please.

I believe Martin has mentioned a few times that as the X doesn’t need any supersampling the performance requirements are at worst the same and maybe lower than the 5K+ (I’m not sure if he has ever mentioned the Artisan in this contact though - correct me if I’m wrong).

So to get to the sweet spot of the Artisan do we need to supersample (I say sweet spot because say on the OG the sweet spot was around 150 super sampling or something - over this didn’t make much difference but going under would deteriorate the clarity significantly). In which case given I’m stuck with a 1080ti and that I would only be using normal FOV would I get general better performance (fps) our of the X or the Aritsan? That is using the X native and the Artisan at it’s sensible optimal settings.

1 Like

The Artisan like the 5k+ and 8kX in theory should be able to perform well with less SS. However the 5k+ and Artisan will have an easier time using higher Super Sampling to improve their picture quality. The 8kX though at base native res input should look better due to higger resolution(so more details etc)

2 Likes

Yup, I sort of get that but I’m just wondering if with the Aritsan I’m going to be reaching for the super sampling slider because if I don’t the image will be soft but when I do my performance takes such a hit that I might as well be using the X (ignoring the price difference for a second). Or is it the case that the native (or native plus a tad of supersampling) resolution of the Aritsan is actually good (comparatively) so I can just enjoy a good fps on my 1080ti. I know this is all subjective and hard to quantify but if you get what I’m trying to put my finger on and have a view I would be really interested.

1 Like

Well for that you havevto look at things like say the vive pro and similar headsets. Becuase the native res is lower than the 8kX you will want to run a higher SS to improve picture quality.

@Ludiks and @mixedrealityTV would be excellent resources to ask on this.

The 8kX in theory should have less Jaggies at native res vs running Artisan and 5k+ at native Res.

1 Like

Interestingly I’ve just looked for some through the lens comparisons of the Artisan (with any other headset) and I can’t find any. This seems a bit surprising given there are quite a few in wild I understand.

This suggests to me that the one whom really digs TTL pics maybe realizes that it could mislead folks to come to the wrong conclusions.

As he once stated which was true there only good for a vague idea or to compare sde.

It’s all about trying to get vague ideas at the moment - better than no ideas :grinning:!!!

1 Like

At present the 8kX will give better clarity due to resolution but at lower refresh (less smooth at 75).

Where as the Artisan can be smoother with higher refresh rates but less clarity in details due to lower resolution.

Granted the 8kX can run at 120hz in upscale mode once appropiate firmware released for it.

And of course there is that legend of Brainwarp frame doubling if it becomes a reality.

I would be very interested too. I haven’t found any lens image from the Artisan until now.
If @SweViver could bring us the same picture comparison he used to do with other headsets…it would be very appreciated :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi, I have the Artisan since 01/20/20. In DCS atually i have steam ss @ 170% and PD: 1.0 / msaa @ 2x in game. Without that it looks teribble. I use pitool 253 because it has the best performance for me. Best regards Henry

5 Likes

Thanks Henry, that’s exactly the sort of information I was after. 170% ss is a lot to get it to look good which, without crunching the numbers, sounds like you are loosing most of the gains of a lesser resolution screen (in terms of performance) over the X. Would be great to get this sort of analysis from those with both headsets (mentioning no names!) and ideally some TTL pics if only to see how native resolutions transcribe to SDE. But, please anyone else got any experience with the need, or not need, of super sampling and even vague subjective comparisons to other headsets that would be great. If enough people post then we should be able to get a better idea.

1 Like

What is your pc config and what fps are you getting?

Thanks for posting, sounds interesting!
Do you have (or have you tried) any other headset to compare it with? Do you realize any distortions or something?

1 Like

I have 9900KS @ 5100 and 2080ti 11GB @ 2050. And im try to nail it @ 45FPS / 90HZ via smart smoothing, but it hovers around 44-48FPS … depending on the mission / area of ​​application. I tried pitool 258 but without gpu cat too little performance and with violent flutter.
I haven’t noticed any ghosting or godrays yet. If pitool is still optimized and brings more performance, I am fully satisfied with the Artisan. I think I will also get the 8KX in the near future. I had the hp reverb and the htc vive cv1 and can only say that the artisan is best so far … alone the big FOV (140) is very nice compared to the reverb.

4 Likes

Guys, keep in mind even if you would put a RiftDK1 to 900% Supersampling it would look bad for today.
So if Artisan looks good at whatever SS or PitoolRender, then it mean it is good.
But I dont think it look terrible at all…at 1.0 and 100%…like no way it is not terrible.
And Henry, (thanks for your feedback) had a Reverb and think Arti is the best so far.

Told you guys, this headset is very good.

4 Likes

@Ludiks would you consider making a comparison between all the headsets you possess (8K, 8K+ and Artisan I think?). Bringing lens pictures (like @SweViver used to do) just to get us a perspective of the SDE and picture sharpness?
It would be very instructive and helpful for everyone interested in those headsets.
Thank you in advance

Comparing the SDE between Artisan and 8KX is basically identical to the comparisons ive made in the past between 5K+ and 8KX. Artisan has a very similar SDE to 5K+.

When it comes to visual clarity comparison between 8KX and Artisan, running an identical (low) resolution, its difficult to say which one actually is more sharp and clear. Im not taking pixel density in account here. Only the level of sharpness in the game.

You cant really say that running 8KX and Artisan with identical rendered resolution will automatically look identical. I would say, in almost any scenario, the 8KX will look and feel better overall because of the lack of SDE. But a close-to-native panel resolution on the Artisan when running on default SteamVR SS 100% could actually bring more clarity on the Artisan than on the 8KX, which in this case would render a downsampled image of SteamVR SS 40-50% or so.

Also, with a high resolution panel, rendered jagged edges are more apparent. With a low resolution panel, the low pixel density somehow “hides” a lot of the jagginess/aliasing.

3 Likes

I was hoping this was not the case… I’m possessing a 5K+ and based on previews from @Ludiks, @mixedrealityTV and reactions from CES, I really thought this new headset was something better than the 5K+. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 5k+ but for me it has 2 negative points:

1. Confort (I just ordered a confort kit from Aliexpress)
  2. SDE

I know what I’m asking needs a lot of work, but a picture (macro lens) comparison would be very interesting.
One day when this virus will be gone :pray: I’ll organise a trip to Dortmund to MrTV HQ just to experience a live comparison with all the headsets.

Thanks for the answer and for your help!

2 Likes

Yup Martin you are the man when it comes to macro TTL shots so would be great if you could take some.

1 Like

@SweViver Sorry but this time, I am going to have to disagree rather strongly with your conclusions as written. Current game engines have severe problems that interact in strange ways. ln my experience, once these are optimized out, the Artisan/5k+ is vastly inferior to the 8kX in all plausible scenarios.

Running Artisan/5k+ at native resolution will not be clearer than same resolution with the 8kX. Theoretically it might at least be the same, at least ignoring RGB artifacts, but subjectively, it seems SteamVR pipeline does not preserve pixel alignment as would be required for that.

Also, I find the jagged edges are much more apparent on the 5k+ than the 8kX at any resolution. Even if that was not the case, running the 8kX in upscale mode softens things out more while remaining sharper than anything the 5k+ (and presumably the Artisan) could ever have achieved.

As resolution increases, the 8kX will start to look much sharper much more quickly than the Artisan/5k+. This is because more of the original information is not lost as fewer supersampled pixels are merged into physical pixels.

That last point has been perhaps the single most useful bit of test data I have obtained thus far: less capable GPUs are well suited to the 8kX because less supersampling is required.

4 Likes