8KX Lighthouse Tracking Not Working At Startup? Workaround

I recently got my Pimax 8KX headset and am very happy with it coming from years with a 5K+.

BUT I’ve started having problems where sometimes starting up the PC the lighthouse tracking works, and sometimes it does not. I’ve seen other people reporting the issue, but I had never seen it with my 5K+ and didn’t know really what they were talking about. With the 8KX it seems like its stuck in the 9-Axis mode when its in this state.

Here’s what I’ve found does seem to resolve it - unplugging the USB3 cable and plugging it back in… Then it picks up on the fact that it should be using the lighthouse and works consistently with what I’m familiar with from the 5K+ from there.

If you open the video in YouTube, you can open the description and get the links below to the various timestamps.

0:07​ - New Pimax 8KX VR Headset!!!
0:33​ - Description of the tracking on startup issue. Sometimes it seems like its stuck in 9-Axis mode.
1:38​ - The problem is presenting! Its not using the lighthouse tracking in spite of what the options say.
2:20​ - Checking the settings and changing them does nothing.
3:08​ - Unplugging USB3 cable seems to get it working.
3:46​ - Cable disconnected.
4:02​ - Cable reconnected.
4:12​ - Lighthouse tracking working!!!
4:26​ - Do have to hide the headset from the lighthouse to get it to pick up, but it does work.
4:45​ - Verify tracking in SteamVR.
5:09​ - Switch the tracking options between 9-Axis and Lighthouse – now it behaves as you expect.
6:22​ - If your headset is doing a similar thing, try re-connecting the USB3 cable. YMMV

2 Likes

I got the same problem, the track some times works sometimes doesn’t. But unplugging and re plugging the USB3 cable not working all the time. Only received my 8KX for less a week. very disappointed with Pimax.

I only had this issue when using extensions.

I encourage you to open a support ticket.

For me the USB unplug/reconnect “usually” works (maybe 3/4 times). The only other thing is a power down and restart on the computer. For me, just rebooting never has changed the behavior.

Hi,

had the same problem. Tried everything over weeks. Solution was to unplug every USB from mainboard (x570) and plug them into a usb-card ( Inateck USB 3.0 pcie). The only usb connected to the board are the usb 2 and 3 from the 8kx. Be careful, it matters which usb-port is used. 8kx usb 3 did not work on every usb 3 without trouble. Pitool is started manually. Now lighthouse (2.0) works 100 %. If the 8kx is plugged into the usb-card it works often, but not everytime.
Even with only mouse usb plugged into the board the tracking did not work without trouble.

Hope this helps you.

1 Like

On Sunday I performed the USB fix on my MSI gaming edge wifi and, surprise, the problems with the lighthouse tracking are back. I feel like the fix has something to do with powering the USB ports.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.