8KX Lighthouse 2.0 Standby

It’s funny you mention the smart plugs, I ordered them yesterday from Amazon and they should come today.

I would really rather have the system doing this automatically so that I don’t have to remember to turn them off, it kind of sucks as the functionally to was there before.

2 Likes

I have used these for about a year now for my V1.0 Lighthouses. Very good solution. The phone app works so well i began using them for lighting also.

1 Like

I’m using a different brand and it’s a good solution. I rarely forget to turn them off, since I can see their LEDs from my desk.

While on the subject, I notice that even though the lighthouses (V2.0) do track correctly, They have a White LED. Is that normal? I read on one of steam’s websites that they should be green. My V1.0 Light houses are Green when they are working. I contacted Steam support and they said to return them and get replacements. But maybe this is normal. Can anyone give a difinitive answer on what the correct led color should be on V2.0?
Thanks

Mine go green

20char

Should be green

20char

Thank you all. 20 characters

Mine are white also… appear to work fine

Mine worked ok too. If you look it up on Steam, it says that white LEDs indicate that it is in Developer Mode. I contacted Steam support and they said that they need to be replaced. They would not replace them though, they said to contact Pimax for a replacement. I have an RMA being processed. I am hoping they will pay the shipping to send it back. If they do not then the incentive for me to buy from them for a better price and availability just became useless. After much back and forth with Steam support I have come to the conclusion that maybe they won’t update or will cause other problems in the future. So I am going to replace them.

I can believe that they were shipped in development mode. Probably their (PiMax) entire stock was shipped in dev mode because Valve thought that was what they wanted. A replacement from PiMax is likely to also be in dev mode. A better solution is a firmware update that does not have dev mode enabled.

Unfortunately Pimax isn’t able to update lighthouses firmware. We’ll need a pitool update for that (if the headsets have the required hardware already…)

I am lucky, I bought my lighthouses standalone from Scan. But I still cannot update them without an index hmd. Which, to be fair, I think is valve’s problem. The steamVR system should work with any compatible Bluetooth device, not just the one inside the index.

When I contacted steam about the issue they did not indicate that there was any kind of fix for the units, here is a transcript of the exchange with them:

1. I purchased 2 Steam index lighthouses. I just set them up and while they do seem to track ok, The status light is white instead of green. I see that this means they are in developer mode. How do I turn developer mode off?
  2. I cannot find the setting to turn on power saving mode. I tried SteamVR/settings but do not find that option. Where is it?
  3. in SteamVR/Devices there is an option for bluetooth. It says bluetooth is off. I have bluetooth turn on in the PC. The base stations also report it as off. How do i fix this?
    Thank you
    Message from Steam Support on Sep 23 @ 5:52pm | 1 day and 13 hours ago
    Hello,

Thank you for writing in.

If the LED is white we’ll need to replace the base station.

I’m not seeing any purchases for the Index Base Stations on this account how were they purchased?

Please provide the following information:

Full Name
Address Line 1
Address Line 2 – (this field is optional and mostly used for flat, unit, or suite numbers)
City
State
Postal Code
Phone Number
Base Station Serial Number

Serial Number located on the back of the device starting with the letters FB.

Thank you for using Steam,
Alex
Message from you on Sep 23 @ 8:19pm | 1 day and 10 hours ago
Thank you Alex. I purchased both of them from Pimax (I also have their headset).
Info you requested:
(personal info deleted)
Base station 1 Serial: FB8210259F
Base Station 2 Serial: FB8230188D

Here is a copy of the receipt.
Files attached: pimax receipt.jpg
Message from Steam Support on Sep 24 @ 1:15pm | 17 hours ago
Hey James,

Since you need a device replacement and you’ve purchased through Pimax. Please contact Pimax via their customer service portal here (click).

They will initiate the replacement process for you.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Best wishes,
Nic Siq

Message from you on Sep 24 @ 4:00pm | 3 days ago

As I Said, The lighthouses seem to function properly. What are the consequences if i just use them as is? just because they are in developer mode does not seem to make them dysfunctional. Trying to get things done through Pimax has proven to be an exercise in frustration and takes a very long time.

Message from Steam Support on Sep 25 @ 11:13am | 2 days ago

You may encounter issues using your base stations. We still recommend reaching out to Pimax for further assistance as a white LED is something we would replace.