8KX for sim racing & flight sims. You will like it, trust me!

Ok, so question: This compression scheme that is, if I’m getting this right, an inherent option in the relevant revision of DP, and which would take us up to 90Hz… It is lossy, I take it? If so: How does this manifest visually?

3 Likes

Agreed, the low refresh rate is what makes me less interested, difference between 72 and 90 Hz is noticeable on 5k+. I hope they can make 90Hz native at least for small FoV, even better if normal FoV. Either that or make Brainwarp 2 original KS idea work (and demonstrate on current models) - e.g. if 60Hz can really be perceived as 120Hz by alternating L/R frames (which I doubt personally but who knows).

1 Like

Pimax have said they are trying to get 90hz working fully on the 8kx, for all we know they have succeeded and saving the news for pimax day 2, that’s my guess from one of swevivers hints. :thinking: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dont Think they Cable can handle it.

1 Like

They are trying
https://community.openmr.ai/t/sde-through-the-lenses-macro-pimax-8kx-vs-5k-just-a-teaser/22221/674

5 Likes

At the very least they can hopefully support it in normal fov mode?

1 Like

According to VESA it is visually indistinguishable, unless, of course, you happen to notice it :wink:.

6 Likes

yeah “virtually lossless” on a telly at range, how that works in a headset will be interesting.

4 Likes

It’s not that, they have said the bandwidth is actually quite a bit ‘less’ in native mode due to the ability to use DSC. So as jeroen posted they are on with solving it with nvidia if not already done so since.

3 Likes

;D

(…and for the “low effort” filter: This has been a presentation of a so called: “emoticon”, whose two characters together can be construed to resemble, in this case, a winking and laughing face. Stay tuned for more messages that gain poignancy from that great sign of getting to the point: word count.)

Just watched this Video

@Tyrielwood

“Cosmos make an amazing job probably also for the fact that here we are talking about a little higher resolution (2880 BY 1770)”

THEN What do you have to say about resolution of Pimax 8K X that has whopping 7680 BY 2160 ?

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

its like with a 4k TV, even 1080p content looks sharper, just because there is less “non-pixel”-space. thats the main reason i switched from the 8k to the 5k+. it has less pixels in number, but segnificantly less space between them in relation.
thats my theory at least. :wink:
anyway, i totaly love the look of the new displays, and i like the idea of native 4k signal to the hmd, but im still waiting to see about the doublecable it needs and whatever headaches that can bring.

2 Likes

Hmm - I have played a lot of Dirt 2.0 and Project Cars 2 - Cant say that I notice that much difference, so I prefere to pimp the graphics and go with say 72hz. Issues for me are mainly when the games rendering drops below 60fps - then Things are getting a bit bothersome. Sure I would love to have fluid 90hz or more but I cant say that it is worse for me at 72hz if the game keeps the 72fps up stable.

@Fabrizio I’m gonna prepare my video about it soon :slight_smile:

7 Likes

With DisplayPort 1.4, the 8KX now only requires a single cable, so that’s one less thing to worry about.

4 Likes

Not sure if I can see it from the video, but does Cosmos have horizontal “lines” of subpixels like the 8KX/8K+ or are they vertical like the other headsets?
That does indeed make a difference to the eye.

Horizontal:
20191009_101424

Vertical:
subpixels

This is just a theory I have, but since our eyes sees any vertical lines longer than horizontal lines, and at the same time horizontal lines looks more thick than vertical, the “fill rate” could look better to our eyes on a panel with horizontal lines. Also the gap “line” between the subpixels should be less visible to our eyes on a panel that has horizontal “line” subpixels. This may be the reason why everyone so far who tried 8KX feels that is has less SDE than HP Reverb (even if the PPD theoretically is slightly higher on HP)

For reference:

6 Likes

For the skilled eye, the difference is noticeable, but I would say its something the majority wouldn’t even notice. Although I would prefer a 90Hz refreshrate, I will always pick stable 75fps on 75Hz rather than 85 or 88fps in 90Hz.

6 Likes

well, only with maxed out compression, so my guess is that it will struggle with the required cable lenght.
i personaly would probably be fine with 75Hz, but i doubt it will sell well with that on the box…
call me a pessimist, but ill remain sceptical until proofen otherwise. ;p

2 Likes

It is not only visual difference, it is also reaction time which gets bit better - it might not be so noticeable if you try to look for it, but overall you get better feeling and results/reactions as it is more fluent.

For example in Elite Dangerous I did not mind 45 fps because the fast reactions do not matter that much. In Dirt 2 it is lot more crucial though as you make driving adjustments constantly and precision is very important.

Eleven table tennis I can’t imagine playing on 72Hz, even 90Hz is lacking a lot as it is very fast paced game. The VR movement coordination and precision suffers a lot because of it. Still nice game on 90 Hz but far away from real-life experience on fast exchanges (but slow exchanges work well). 120Hz will be nice addition for games like this, even if I have to sacrifice FoV for it.

1 Like

This is something I don’t understand yet - so 75fps on 75Hz is better than 75fps on 90Hz. I’m not doubting this but can someone explain what’s going on so I can get my head around why. What about say 50fps on 75Hz vs 90Hz - what would be the practical visible difference?

1 Like