8KX for sim racing & flight sims. You will like it, trust me!

I guess the new collective term for all those who want an 8KX must be ‘X-Philes’ :wink:

2 Likes

@Octofox you have Pimax 5K+

What do you think of colours of cars in the video ? Are improved compared to 5K+ or are the same ?

2 Likes

I’m not the best person to judge this accurately because I have AC but only tested for 1-2 hours so far. Haven’t done sim racing for some time.

I could judge better on Elite but have only seen macro shots of the cockpit text so far.

While the colours seem a little more washed out compared to 8K+ and Reverb for that, I’m not making any final judgements because Sweviver did say you can’t trust these comparisons for anything except SDE. Everything can be affected by the camera, and colours could appear in reverse on the next selection of shots.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-vs-8k-vs-hp-reverb-macro-shots/22753

4 Likes

My impression is that @SweViver has been pretty quiet about colours, black level, contrast. @mixedrealityTV on the other hand, mentioned specifically that the colors of 8K+ are muted when compared to HP Reverb. Would love to hear more about colours on 8KX.

8 Likes

Any updates on if we have absolute confirmation if the 8kX can use a 2m extension cable?

a look at Index for the science :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

“I Want To Believe” :joy:

5 Likes

“The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head”, Terry Pratchett.
My fave Pratchett quote.

4 Likes

I thought MRTV said he couldn’t comment on the colors since his model wasn’t the final version.

2 Likes

Sweviver you made my day with that post!! Wow!! Cant wait til VR days impressions!

2 Likes

Only one thing bothers me in 8k-X , its the fact that right now it works only with 75 hz at native input resolution. Already tryied AC at 72 hz mode and difference between 90hz is quite noticable. I hope Pimax will prepare 80 or 90 hz mode at least in normal fov. That would be something what simrace enthusiast needs :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Interesting. I hadn’t noticed much difference (just a little bit) between 72 and 80 Hz on my 8K in AC or ED.

5 Likes

in my case 5k+ its 18 fps more, pretty noticabe in curves or close to other cars , epecially fast formula 1

That’s only 8hz! if you could jump from 72 to 90 (I know the 8K is limited), you’d notice it a little bit. Palmer Luckey and John Carmack said 90hz is ideal for VR and while you can get gains after that, they are diminishing/not as noticeable…the biggest jump they perceived was going from below 90 to 90 from their research.

2 Likes

Have the lenses changed in the 8kx compared to the 5k+ and 8k?

He did mention there was something about the 8k X they might announce later this month. I’d bet it’s 90hz on the 8k X.

2 Likes

This sentence is going to be extremely confusing for the uninformed. :joy:

2 Likes

I can definitely confirm diminishing returns at a certain point. I have a 144hz 1080p monitor that I recently overclocked to 175hz, and combined with black frame insertion. The image is rock solid at what would be a normal head movement speed, but things like racing sims will still (I believe) make some folks feel nausea, especially if they are already prone to it in real life.

To be honest, I think to reach a level where the brain accepts VR input without motion sickness a display will need to be 1000hz, and that will not be practical for any present LCD displays. I say this because my panel is a TN panel and at 175fps you are only talking about 5 miliseconds per frame as opposed to the 16 miliseconds at 90hz, and LCD’s still have a blur, loss of motion resolution, and as the likes of @mixedrealityTV noticed on the old 8K a wobble issue. Granted, it wont be an issue for most people. I myself dont notice any issues at even 60hz, but some of these issues I think are just inherent with LCDs.

1 Like

Not sure if 1000 hz helps people which have diagnosed montion sicknes IRL but found some tips which can help in vr:

Gum

Chewing gum, however, is not the only thing one may chew to relieve mild effects of car sickness, snacking on sweets, or just chewing in general seems to reduce adverse effects of the conflict between vision and balance.

Fresh air

Fresh, cool air can also relieve motion sickness slightly, although it is likely this is related to avoiding foul odors, which can worsen nausea.

Ginger

Ginger has been found to reduce motion sickness. This is available in tablet form, or a fresh stem of ginger can be chewed to relieve symptoms. There is some debate over whether it is the chewing or the ginger that helps. Ginger products for motion sickness are available for purchase online.

Acupressure

An acupressure practitioner works with the same points used in acupuncture, but stimulates these healing sites with finger pressure, rather than inserting fine needles.

Instead of acupressure in VR we should use vibration pads or montion platform with light movements

8 Likes

Oh, well would you look who liked my post! :wink:

5 Likes