8kX - first impressions

It didn’t stutter even at 500%. Didn’t look particularly better than with a value closer to 100% either though. Only could get it worse by going below 100% - that worked.
So perhaps the maxRecommendedResolution override is still ignored - or something else is capping my settings.
Would probably not be able to crank up supersampling too much above 100% with my 1080 TI anyways. Would still be good to see the effect working though to be sure it’s set up optimally for my system.

3 Likes

It’s 118 hz

Did you try new pitool 262 ?

1 Like

Will check. I did run the auto-update yesterday, so I should have the latest official version. Is 262 an inofficial version that isn’t auto-updated towards yet?
Edit: I still see the gpu-catalyst slider. The release notes of 262 mention that it should be removed there. So perhaps I don’t have that version yet. Thanks for the hint, will give it a try later today!

1 Like

Agreed. It’s likely that maxRecommendedResolution is being ignored, for one of the reasons I listed in my previous post. Also, on rare occasion, a SteamVR update has trashed mine, so you may want to verify that your changed setting is still in the file.

Then you are still running an older version. I don’t see that slider and in addition, I now have a backlight brightness slider with 5 settings (0 to 4).

3 Likes

Would you say the upgrade from a 5K+ is a must?

I know this is a very subjektive question but you seem to list the pro and cons very objective considering you paid a lot of cash for it.

I am a 5K+ backer and my 5K+ has the comfort kit and soon eye tracking. So far I am still very pleased with it and I am torn if I should spend the money on the 8KX eventhough I play very little or just stick with the 5K+.

4 Likes

It is too bad that 8KX has MURA too :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

If you read between the lines he is saying it’s a decent upgrade on the 5K+, I would say mainly in terms of details/resolution and SDE. Is this upgrade worth 1,300€ to you if you play very little, as you say ? You seem quite happy with your 5K+, I would think you can better save that money and wait for an even greater upgrade in 1-2 years.

And in shorter term there may be a Quest 2 coming from Oculus later this year, which I think would be great because I appreciate the stand-alone concept of the Quest and think it is actually a great value for its money, as it is very versatile and does a really decent job on many VR games. If they can improve the comfort and performance of that piece of kit further and possibly make the wireless link to PC VR an official feature, it would be really great.

@NoamLoop: thanks for the impressions, and keep them coming please ! It seems that most of the backers who are familiar with the previous generation of Pimax headsets are not overwhelmed by the 8KX experience. It may seem disappointing but I guess it is also testament to the better state of VR today than 1-2 years ago. The added refinement is less “in your face” but still will add a lot to the enjoyment of the VR experiences especially for those where SDE or lack of details are a bother. I recall that even the obvious gain in FoV at the time when the 8K/5K+ were delivered did not necessarily create such a wow effect on many users, only when they went back to their old headsets they would notice how restricted the view suddenly appeared to them.
So the true test probably is to use the 8KX for a couple of days and then go back to your other headset and see how you react.

6 Likes

Those 2 issues are what bother me most about my 8K, which otherwise, I like very much. I’m sure looking forward to my 8KX. For me, I think it will be a noticeable improvement.

5 Likes

Quest 2 is LCD…

@Fabrizio I don’t mind - I am one of those who didn’t even really notice the difference in brightness and vibrancy between the Rift and og Vive ! Only when some users said it to be a big deal I checked again and would notice it a bit in direct comparison. But my vision generally is quite good at night and I rather don’t like too bright sunny day light, so I guess that may explain why I never felt the Rift, or Pimax headsets, to be too dim or washed out color-wise. Funnily enough I am not that critical about black values either, although I do notice the difference between OLED and LCD. It is more the lack of sharpness, resolution which I seek to have improved. That would be the same desire for the 8KX, which it hopefully will deliver upon, and the Quest successor.

3 Likes

Quest headsets are for VR noobs. While my first VR headset was the Quest and I enjoyed it a lot, the standalone games are lacking in quality compared to PCVR and I didn’t like Facebook’s walled garden approach. Oculus link looks like it performs poorly too.

Disagree. Obviously I wouldn’t want to go with a Quest in stand-alone use only as I play a number of great PC VR games, and many of them are not released on Quest or those, which are, suffer from a visual downgrade.

Nevertheless it is an impressive piece of kit in my eyes, and the truly wireless experience is a great pro, as is the portability & ease of use. I like to use both tethered PC VR and the Quest.

The walled garden is of course a matter of preferences, just as is Windows vs. MacOS vs. Linux, etc… I appreciate that users who don’t want to support that kind of business approach will steer clear of any such offering.

This is all rather off-topic, perhaps it should go in a separate thread about the new mystery headset of Oculus…

4 Likes

Well, as a backer the 8kX was (depending on which early bird package one got) $200 more expensive than the 8k or so. Was the 8kX worth the $650 to me - definitely! I personally would hesitate to pay $2000 because FoV isn’t that high on my prio list. It’s nice to have but if you can compromise on FoV there are also other options nowadays to consider. But that is highly subjective. I think the 8kX can be worth $2000 for people who are specifically looking for it’s features and get good use out of it.

8 Likes

Thanks again for the hint, was indeed still on 261. Have now upgraded to 262 and briefly retested particularly the 118 Hz mode and supersampling. No changes there on first sight, still having motion blur and the doubled fraction of an image on the left edge of the display in 118 Hz mode. And SS tops out at slightly above 100% in native mode. Will have to check whether some other steamvr.vrsettings are lingering around somewhere that might take precedence. But the Steam in c:\Programme (x86)\Steam\ seems to be the one used (as a test I renamed steamui.dll and started Steam - then it redownloaded that file. So seems to be active). Odd…
Will experiment with the colors in the evening.

I agree with you Axacuatl - regularly use my 5k+ & Quest. Enjoy them both for different reasons :heart:

3 Likes

yay, solved the supersampling issue (updated the OP).
Edit: If one knows the solution and searchs for “AppData\openvr” there are actually several threads in this forum that indicate that the file can be at several locations. Having the file actually in several places at the same time with all but one being ignored is probably the worst case. But fortunately this will be a thing of the past with Pimax Experience. (Until Valve comes up with new creative ideas…)

2 Likes

Aliasing not working at all
Check if your aliasing is working with another game not in VR.

Put Steam at 100% and Pitool at 1;
(This is enough because with normal FOV you have already 3732x3160 resolution for eye that apply some super sampling and 3160 is vertical resolution recommended against distorsions)

You don’t need more resolution with a 1080 ti
If your aliasing is working but you see it
change Nvidia Driver Settings
change Gaming settings

When you have solved aliasing issue you have to correct the game for frame/second
this is where Pitool 262 is helping you because it maximize gpu utilization
compared to old pitools

the last resource is smart smoothing

2 Likes

Just to be sure I understand you proposal (thanks for it!):
Using dynamic superresolution (DSR - which is the equivalent to supersampling) for non-VR games works, currently I have it off though. And as I understand it this wouldn’t have an advantage over using a higher supersampling factor in SteamVR, right?
My antialiasing mode in the NVIDIA control panel is currently set to “application controlled”. I can try to overwrite this in the NVIDIA settings. Not sure whether the usual antialiasing algorithms work very well in VR though in the stereo overlap area. My guess is not, because otherwise SteamVR would probably offer classic antialiasing additional to SS. But it’s worth a try! Would likely be a lot cheaper than SS if it works.
Will play around with this.

1 Like

If you see aliasing at high resolution, i have thought, there is a chance that your Anti Aliasing is not working at all because this is a common topic in internet

About different types of antialiasing this is a good article.

2 Likes

Thanks, will definitely give it a try!
Here some open discussion of why supersampling is mostly used as AA technique in VR: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4q005i/why_do_we_prefer_supersampling_to_antialiasing_in/

2 Likes