8KX and a 1080ti

Are there users here with a 8KX and a 1080ti?

What are your findings? Are there serious issues you encounter with frame rates or quality settings?

3 Likes

Hi! still tweaking the settings, but I find it comparable to performance with 5k+/8k, like stated from the others. everything depending on game playing and settings /resolution chosen. But with same settings picture of course is much clearer on 8KX .
I’ll stick to 1080 ti and 7700k for now until I decided if I go with 2080 ti OC, 3080 20GB or even AMD Big Navi.

7 Likes

I’m using the 1080ti equivalent titan x pascal and it is mostly working just fine on the games I use, but depending on the game you may need to reduce the resolution, especially if you do not want to use smart smoothing. but no, it is overall doing fine. I am going for an 3080-3090 card simply to be able to bump the super sampling up and have overkill performance.

6 Likes

Good to hear it’s working OK. My 8KX has landed in the country and might show up on Monday… And I’m still sitting here with a 1080ti.
Will ofc be looking to buy atleast a 3080 if I’m holding on to the 8KX. But then I should do the whole cpu+mobo switch at the same time, so it’s a hurdle.

6 Likes

Also with 1080Ti and so far so good. While I don’t like 75Hz that much it is usable and helps lower the load.

I did reduce Pitool from 1.25 to 1.0. But I did not really do any testing whether it is better/worse. Just because 4k 75Hz is still more load than 1440p 90Hz so I wanted to compensate for that a little. And it looks Ok with Pitool 1.0 so I left it there.

I mostly use normal FOV.

2 Likes

8kx 1080ti here,
You can adjust settings to get it to run fine in pretty much everything, except DCS… DCS, well is DCS.
il2 runs fine, made for vr games run fine. And if you ever have any serious issues you can just run in 114hz upscaled mode. infact I find it to be more enjoyable depending on the game, although after about 10-20 minutes my right display shuts off… hopefully will get fixed soon.

2 Likes

I have a 2080Ti.
I can report that some games are not going well. even the 2080ti is not strong enough.

I’ve already had a lot of experience with Pimax. I’ve been there since the beginning. also with 5K Plus.

I can say with certainty that a 1080Ti doesn’t do that well. even with a 2080ti it doesn’t run without problems. some games don’t run smoothly or are very muddy.

for an 8kx you should use at least a 3080.

but honestly … i would take a 3090.

the 8kx needs a lot of power.

the 8kx laughs at a 1080ti.

I don’t think it makes any sense.

it works with a 1080ti … but it doesn’t look as good as it could look. you have to throttle the graphics and resolution very much. the picture is muddy. and not good.

I would buy an index with a 1080ti.

1 Like

This part I agree with. That point of diminishing returns where more GPU power doesn’t bring more clarity… it takes an OC 2080 Ti or better to hit that with the 8kX, or even a 5k+ for that matter.

This part depends on the intended application and future investments. For a lot of roomscale VR, if the user doesn’t mind the narrow FOV, an Index might be ok. If the user ever plans to do any virtual desktop, flight sim, Elite Dangerous, etc, or cares about FOV, or ever plans to upgrade hardware further, the 8kX is still a better investment.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.