8K X Initial Review - Primarily compared to HP Reverb and Valve Index

Yes it is fairly minimal and the other aspects of it (less mura and sde, and higher fov) override the minimal advantages the reverb still has.

6 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to do such a comprehensive review.

2 Likes

…and we’d be right.

(EDIT: …except if you were to ask me, “sharp”, and “clear”, should only refer to optical properties - not display resolution.)

4 Likes

btw, are you on Pitool 262? I heard people said that they changes Pitool SS, divided it by 2, so if previously 1 was 1 now it’s 0.5 & you need to set it to 2, but I guess your Pitool is older one.

not for me. 1.5 is 1.5, same resolution

I have 262 but on the x at least 1.0 is very high, higher than 4k per eye

also 262 users complained about more blurry image, afaik the solution was to delete all user docs pitool folders & reinstall the pitool.

Although I guess you already get maximum of your image, but it still would be helpful to know for sure

Huh?! Mirage said in a video he made and also in reply to a forum thread I started (now closed) that it would do 60hz. @mirage335

quoting:
“Fortunately this Pimax 8kX can be set to 60Hz, Smart Smoothing off. Toggling the async render on/off usually gets the underlying application to render at a full 60Hz as well. Enabling VSync on the underlying application seems to reduce jitter even further. Everything syncs up super smooth and efficient…”

Man I hope that hasn’t changed with some new version of Pitool or a hardware change. His trial 8kX was a preliminary version. I need it to go low for my 1080ti to work with a bit of SS.

Hmm yeah must have been an earlier version. I’m sure they’ll add more options in future versions, but who knows when that will happen

Well I had to completely wipe everything vr related to even get it to work in the first place so I think I accomplished the same thing

excellent review evertec

Why 60Hz mode gone? Is this the PiTool issue?

Refresh rates are in firmware AFAIK.

I’d recommend that you add 1 or more layers of double-sided velcro between the pad and the comfort kit. It’s inexpensive, removable, and can be tweaked as needed (to make a wedge, perhaps). I used something like this (same product, different width, which I already had).

Tip: I left a few 1 cm gaps (channels) to allow for some ventilation. Since I play in a darkened room, I don’t have to worry about light leakage.

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-ONE-WRAP-Double-Sided-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00JWU77N2

6 Likes

Great review, and since it is from someone who has all the headsets, it is very great to hear that 8KX is overall best.

5 Likes

I meant the high price for this headset is based on what it would be worth if it was durable. I remember people telling Pimax to up the price so it would also increase the resell value of their backer units.

Now everyone is complaining about production issues and service levels. So because those aren’t high quality we believe the price is too high.

1 Like

I added an edit about the IPD issue after using it more.

Which IPD do you have?

It’s around 57-58mm…

Ok, if it’s uncomfortable then it’s no fun.
Is there any other headset that is optimally covering your IPD?