8K-X Impression [Review]

Unboxing skipped, and no, there was no extra thin foam included.
One thing to note is that Pimax has improved their presentation.
None of that even matters to me, what does matter is how does it physically look?

Physical Appearance:

It looks good and even after trying to squeeze it in various places to listen/feel it’s sturdiness, it felt pretty solid. The rubber coating looks good for now but after a while in warmer environments, it’s possible it can peel away.

Will cross that bridge when the time comes.

The included foams will soak up sweat & PU leather alternatives will be welcomed.

Comfort/Fit:

After trying the HMD on, the comfort kit along with the MAS has really improved the comfort/fit.
Glasses wearers may want thicker foam on the face cowling to avoid collision with the HMD lenses.
My go to method is to force the user to have/wear 3 headbands at once or bust.

My 8K was decked out with the HTC Vive DAS within 1 week from my initial posted impression along with a makeshift counter-weight consisting of an 1.0xlb battery pack.
Unfortunately, this was still not heavy enough to keep the HMD off my nose.

With the X, no longer does the HMD feel weighty on my nose and it’s been an relief.

There is no light leakage for me when tightening the head-strap, considering the glasses cut out, another relief.

No more being able to look down and see the real world through the bottom of the HMD.
Literally have to physically lift the HMD up to see now.

Setup:

No more external power, yet another relief.
Considering the 8K just needed to be swapped and the Index controllers paired followed by the quick room setup, this went smooth with no issues.

Possibly unnecessary:
X:\Program Files\Pimax\SteamVRSupport\drivers\aapvr\resources\settings
Override0

GPU: 1080 (Unfortunately, the 2080Ti is not with me)
CPU: 8700k
Ram: 32GB

X IPD: 64

PiTool:

FOV(small)
Vertical Offset: 4.5
Rendering Quality: 1.5
Contrast: 2
Brightness: -2
Upscaled Mode @ 118hz
Native Mode @ 75hz

Image Quality:

Well, this is where Pimax has absolutely blew it, but wait… they blew it by continuing to rely on the terrible Pimax VR Home Planet Environment.
Sure, the FOV must be demonstrated but the image quality needs to be vastly improved.

The image still looked quite bad to me in Native Mode and let’s just say un-impression was setting in.
Before continuing further, the SDE may be there but it’s become a non-issue as it’s very faint to see.
Now, the colors and the brightness are still not great but they are also not bad.

Distortion:

My description would be when my head turns while keeping the eyes looking at the same location, does the world remain fixed or does it begin to weirdly bend?

For me, it bends but overtime, this does not become bothersome.
Although, when it has been observed, actively looking to see it may bother some.

Adjusting the vertical offset and messing with the HMD position on the head improves this but it never actually goes “fully” away.

Ghosting:
This is something that was noticed in bright scenes but it wasn’t substantial or even bothersome to me.

Chromatic Aberration:
This was noticed in my brief play of Arizona Sunshine, mainly, the grill in Horde Mode in the Canyon.
There was some sort of prevalent rainbow effect? (Even the Standard 8K has this).

MAS:
The sound from the MAS speakers are not unusable but they skirt the line as passable for what they achieve considering their placement.

Mic:
Reserved

Time for some actual content:

Using the .bat method to skip SteamVR and the reliance on Parallel Projection that should be known by now.

Just a few impressions in mainly “Native Mode” without listing the magnitude of content that was actually tested…

American Truck Simulator:

After holding the HMD higher than head height and launching (For some reason this places you in the seat and not way above it).

Native Mode:

Graphics on Low
Graphics scaling set to 200%.

This one has always been hard to get looking/performing good but the X pulls the win over the 4K, 8k, and my Odyssey+

For me, the clarity on the gauges/interior and in the distance has now reached acceptability and the refresh rate of 75 does not bother me.

Upscaled Mode:

Something that was noticed is that the brightness seems to decrease & a good 2 notches were taken away from clarity.

The refresh rate is soo high that it was not possible to get anywhere close but it performed acceptable considering the overall settings.

From here on out, Native Mode will have been in use & fpsVR for SteamVR on-the-fly super-sampling adjustments.

One way to know it’s working in desired title is to crank the values down and if it looks more terrible.
There’s the answer…

Using SteamVR with Parallel Projection:

Elite Dangerous:

For this one, SteamVR with Parallel Projection is currently unavoidable but even so, the image clarity was very good.

Text, textures and distance viewing were acceptable to me.

Shame about the colors, especially the sky, but it is what it is.

ContractorsVR:

Text, textures & aiming down the sight has been more blurry than desired but with the X in native, this is in the past.

Again, the X pulls the clarity win over the 4K, 8k, and my Odyssey+.
It also looks even better when avoiding SteamVR/Parallel Projection.
As expected, the colors do not stand a chance up against the Odyssey+.

The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners:
Great clarity but the colors take away from the atmosphere when A to B comparing with O+.

SteamVR without Parallel Projection:

SteamVR Home:

The clock on the right, the dials appeared sharp as well as the text on the screens.

Facing the clock and moving backwards until near the back-wall, the clock and the front-facing screen were still sharp.

Going outside and looking at the bigger screen directly in front of you, the text remained quite readable.
The Standard 8K could not pull that off.

Driving:

As expected, the performance was sub-par on the 1080, really missing the 2080Ti.

DiRT Rally 2.0, Assetto Corsa & Project CARS 2 looked really good, much better than the Standard 8K and better clarity than the Odyssey+.

In-car dials were quite legible.
Vehicles & the overall track were more detailed.
Having the extra clarity, viewing into the distance was also noticeably better, improving apex approaches.

The Lab:

Bear with me, you know how the whiteboard and the clipboards have that fuzziness from a distance?
Well, it’s reduced in the X to the point of it looking “very” un-fuzzy.

DCS:
Never seen the instrument panels looking this good, just having the enhanced clarity makes a big diff. to me.

Distant objects & aircraft are no longer as blurry.

Serious Sam: The Last Hope:

This game has lots of opponents to mow down and sometimes from a good distance is preferred or else you get overwhelmed and become extra dead.

With the X, it was possible to land shots from quite far away, opponents could be seen further into the distance and they were getting mowed down with a maniacal grin…

VRMark:

This is something that’s been kept around for this exact moment.
If anyone remembers the Blue Room with the small display panels?
The clarity of most other HMD’s was never up to par with the ole 4K but once again, the X pulls the win.

Google Earth VR:

Street View looked very good on the X.
Road signs, Storefront text, & even some vehicle text were quite legible.
The Standard 8K nor the Odyssey+ could produce the same result.

Virtual Desktop:

There is nothing more to say other than, it looked very good and it killed my Standard 8K.

Just to verify how good it was looking, it was possible to reduce the screen sizes and still have an quite decent looking result while the Standard 8K taps out early.

Flat 4K videos on YT looked much better than the Standard 8K and the clarity exceeded the Odyssey+.

VR Video Apps:
Reserved

vorpX:
Reserved

My perspective:

Whomever had/has the (Non BE) Pimax 4K?
The X has defeated the ole 4K in clarity, colors, ghosting, SDE…
Although, brightness is not exceeded when the 4K’s filters have been removed but this is not the norm.

Conclusion:

Took a long time to get here but the X looks better than the 4K and kills the Standard 8K, that’s a win for me.

The Odyssey+ wins in colors and “audio”, however this does not make me want to use the Odyssey+ in “anything” over the X in “Native Mode” and that’s saying something.

Wants:

Get rid of the Distortion
Eye Tracking
Improve the image quality of Pimax VR Home or dump it entirely
Thinner & thicker face foam
PU leather face foam
Brightness & color improvements
Bring on the Pimax Experience, it’s something that has been needed for far too long
Better audio sooner rather than later’
The ability to adjust height
The ability to enable boundaries when using Oculus titles
The ability to allow adjustment of controller angles
Wireless…

63 Likes

Most informative review yet. Thank you.

12 Likes

Resolution per eye in SteamVR? Check your screenshot. Something went wrong there. Small FOV?
And to say they blew image quality - based on the Home planet? Do you know what texture resolution is to begin with?

I stopped reading afterwards. Too unstructured.

I hope he got his settings fixed. You go try it in HLA to see what it can do.

Large part of the problem about reviews or opinions is that most people seem to not be able to set their headsets up properly. Yeah, I’ve seen an “enthusiast” friend run his games on the monitor for half a year using his onboard graphics, bypassing his GPU. Saying it was for"enthusiasts" solves nothing. Pimax needs good default settings to begin with, e.g. +2 on contrasts, -1 brightness. Just a point to start with. Hope Martin can put this stuff into his new tool.

Written on a mobile. Mistakes finders’ keepers.

6 Likes

Thanks for the detailed impressions.

2 Likes

Very informative review, thanks so much for sharing this!

4 Likes

First of all, you missed out on some really nice information. And secondly, you shouldn’t judge the whole post by just reading a few sentences.

edit: To be clear. With “few” I mean 1/8th:ish of the whole post.

7 Likes

I don’t understand the point of the vertical offset of 4.5. ?!

Nothing wrong. I have not posted this anywhere yet, but the time has come. There is no way to find out real resolution rendered and there is no way to change it. Its locked and limited somewhere around 4k and there is nothing you can do. You can only lower it (which is clearly visible), but you’re not able to go above 4k even if your steamvr shows he is trying to render 16k :smiley: Pitool rendering quality 2.0 + steamvr supersampling x200% visually provides same picture and same frames amount with no changes whatsoever. Its possible its some bug, but i think its just limited by dp to avoid issues. It is also possible this is why games with PP enabled look a bit worse than PP disabled, not 100% sure through. I have spent yesterday 4 hours trying to understand why resolition changes from 4 to 8 depending on the fov/pp settings, and then reallizied - its just doesnt works and has no changes above 4k, there is no point of trying changing it.

1 Like

maxRecommendedResolution:16384 in steamvr.vrsettings will let you go above 4k

https://community.openmr.ai/t/maxrecommendedresolution-where-to-set/26682/5

7 Likes

That is just simply incorrect. That setting makes a *massive difference. Massive.

7 Likes

As i said, i’ve spent 4 hours yesterday. I made a clean instal, deleting any pitool folder i could find in program files, program data, local app data. I have also uninstalled steamvr and deleted configs and steamvr folders as well. I was testing half life alyx, i was ingame, and i could see with my own eye steamvr saying its rendering more then 16k resolution, in big FoV, with pitool supersampling of 2.0 - with 75 stable frames (which is nonsense) giving me visual quality of 4k.
4 hours of trying different settings, different multiplies, restarting game everytime, restarting steamvr time to time, and the only difference i could find - if i go below 4k. So this slider actually worked, but only for decreasing, and no increasing resolution.

As i said - its possible it is a bug, but for now this is how it works, because there is no way this guy could test games with 1080 gtx and resolution above 5k.

You’re starting to annoy with your ‘this in incorrect’ ‘this in not true’, if you dont provide solutions, read wisely at least and say something different than assuming your customers are fools or liars. I was literally trying to bug report this yesteday, until you made me think this is how its supposed to be.

8 Likes

We need this:

8 Likes

It’s being replaced by the Pimax Experience - one of the features is you can insert different environments.

12 Likes

What if i dont have it set anywhere, should it work or is this must have by default? My config files have no maxRecommendedResolution.

@CMM In your screenshot you’re editing the wrong file. It needs to be steamvr.vrsettings not default.vrsettings.

open cmd and run
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win64\vrpathreg.exe

it will tell you what folder your current config files are in. then edit steamvr.vrsettings

if the setting isn’t in the file then add it so it looks like in the screenshot

also this was meant as a reply to the original post but it should work for @industria as well, just dont mind me talking about your screenshot :wink:

10 Likes

That is true. PP requires a larger image for rendering, which is then transformed to a smaller angled image. If that larger image is limited, the result is smaller than the limit, which results in a worse image. This is especially problematic when using the Large FOV.

Unfortunately, he IS correct. When first installed, that setting is limited to 4K and SteamVR lies about the actual image size.

The maxRecommendedResolution limit to 4K truly sucks for wide FOV headsets. I’ve had to help a LOT of users with this setting. It’s a problem which all new Pimax users run into. It’s a silent error which makes the headset image low res and blurry.

14 Likes

We have screen shots of the different settings and their effects. I’ll ask Sweviver to come in and talk about it.

5 Likes

4748x5220 is not 4k per eye. That is 24,784,560 pixels per eye VS. 4K which is 8,294,400 pixels per eye. It’s 300% more image data per eye over 4k.

So specifically he is not correct that it is limited to 4k / Eye.

2nd - he stated the changing the steamVR setting has no effect. Which is also clearly not true. I’ve seen it have dramatic effects. I imagine he is not editing the correct file or the actual change has an extra character in it somewhere.

He is also incorrect in saying the setting has no impact or effect. It clearly does.

5 Likes

If u dont have it set, then you have it on default 4096.

The config file can also be in /appdata/local/openvr/

Only edit the steamvr.vrsettings and NOT the default.vrsettings

If you dont see the difference between having MaxRecommendedResolution on 4096 versus 8192 or 16384 then you are:

• editing the wrong steamvr.vrsettings file (or just in wrong folder)
  • having SteamVR Advanced settings that somehow prevents you from applying that value
  • using a low end GPU that makes SteamVR automatically cripple your render target resolution . Check your steamvr.vrsettings file what values these are at.
    Also, change all gpuSpeed values to 2000 and restart SteamVR. Makes a huge difference in overlays.

Its not Pimax fault. Its Valve that doesn’t want you to enjoy your Pimax :wink:

22 Likes

One more thing to keep in mind is that some games (ie SteamVR Home, some other Valve games, maybe HL-Alyx) use dynamic supersampling.

IIRC, it looks at your settings, says “I know what they want better than they do”, ignores your settings, and dynamically changes the SS to keep a consistent frame-rate (decided by them). Then the game might look like garbage no matter how high you set your SS.

3 Likes