8K-X Impression [Review]

there is a start parameter that will disable that, i just don’t remember what is it. google should know.

Just try adjusting these.
No need to set set supersamplescale or resolutionScale higher than 1 with 8KX. Its already overkill at these values below. Although, I recommend you to try gpuSpeedRenterTargetScale to 1.5.

Rememeber to ALWAYS edit steamvr.vrsettings and no other files.

steam1

steam2

18 Likes

Heres the thing, with Pimax VR Experience, you will be able to either automatically or manually set all this values with 1 click. Or just let the VR Experience always set these values for you when you start a game.
Way easier than editing the values manually…

Remember that every time you restart SteamVR, one of the gpuSpeed values gets updated, because a new “benchmark” of your GPU is made upon SteamVR startup. So if you set all values to 2000, after 10 reboots, all values will be lower again. This is why I want the VR Experience to set these every time, so you never need to bother about SteamVR crippling your image quality.

20 Likes

thx for the review nice to read,
But exact where i was afraid of… its the bad color production… A pitty

Looking at your first screenshots, I see you are editing default.vrsettings, which you should NOT. Read my posts above @CMM

6 Likes

Hmm, my gpuSpeed values are in the 800’s with a 1080Ti…does that seem right? I’ve never seen/heard of anyone touching those values. What do they mean?

Edit: I found your post on it, nevermind: https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-get-full-clarity-sharpness-in-steamvr-dashboard-overlay-on-low-end-gpus-with-pimax/21511

2 Likes

You simply havent optimized SteamVR correctly, as recommended. Its not your 8KX fault, its SteamVR that doesnt want you to have full resolution, unless you force it.

Please configure your SteamVR correctly, and then tell us about your first impressions.

8 Likes

Around 1000-1100 for 1080Ti, everything between 1200 and 1500 with 2080Ti.
Setting it to 2000 is best, because the average value will decrease for every SteamVR restart.
The average value is auto-generated by SteamVR, its called: gpuSpeedHorsePower, and no matter what you set it at, it will be an average value or your gpuSpeed0-9 values together.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Does this improve the clarity of the Desktop view of SteamVR? I guess I can mess with it later, but that would be huge if it does make it look better, since I started watching Amazon video off a chrome tab in the SteamVR desktop. I remember trying to supersample the compositor to make it look good, but it never really changed it (I guess due to the gpuspeed benchmark)

1 Like

Regarding your impressions about colors and blacks, did you even try to adjust Brightness -2 and Contrast +1 or so? Its been the common knowledge with Pimax for years now. Do not use default settings, which are - for a reason - default…

2 Likes

Yes this MASSIVELY improves the desktop view.

4 Likes

This would be great if your Pimax experience can do this, I get really annoyed with this every time i start steamVR and find my settings are changed. I use to make the settings read only must try that again and some of your suggestions again i had forgotten about after reinstalling SteamVR for the new Pimax Vision 8kX trying to get the most out it and SkyrimVR. Thanks again as always Sweviver for you help with settings and such very important.

10 Likes

It already does all this.
Currently Im messing around with Basic/Advanced mode switch and volume slider which for some reason have taken me quite many hours to get right haha

14 Likes

While that is true, the default is terrible for Pimax, so it’s your responsibility to fix it for your users.

2 Likes

18 Likes

The default is what SteamVR have made. What we can do, is to manually tweak the SteamVR files, which we are doing. Therefore, its in our interest, not responsibility to do it. Its a shame we even need to do these things manually. In my opinion, its a shame that the biggest VR platform is not even trying to optimize its own platform for high-end or high-resolution VR headsets.

15 Likes

This is sad but true i think and probably know why if i took a guess.

1 Like

Well it is your responsibility to provide instructions if your headsets require this change. As far as I know, there are not instructions except by digging on these forums, which the average user wouldn’t know to look.

11 Likes

Thats the whole point of the Pimax Experience he is so hard working on.

7 Likes

I know, which is great, but it’s not out yet

2 Likes