8K X - I noticed it gets hot even when the PC is off, but there's 2 stages for the off switch?

I hear that you can actually be banned for returning too much. How much is too much seems to vary. It depends on if it’s Alexa’s time of the month.

Right. I was doing it frequently but slowed down. I order alot from amazon. Every few days actually so they know im a big spender

2 Likes

Nice find though the cable seems short

:point_down:

:beers::innocent::+1::sparkles:

I really hope not literally I doubt the returns policy covers that

3 Likes

“So where does the plug go…?” - “Well, You can shove it where the sun doesn’t shine…” - “Alrighty then…” :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, those USB switches are for power only (not data). I’m using a wall outlet switch with a USB charger cube to power my 8KX. Even when I turn off the power, the headset is still active and I must put it in standby. I suspect you’ll find the same is true of these switches, since you can only use it for the USB power cable (the thinner one).

And throw my findings into that mix, and it makes sence why you are unable to power off the HMD by cutting power to the USB2 plug.

2 Likes

Actually, you provided the inspiration to try an experiment I had been considering: I just tried my 8KX without supplying power to the second USB cable. I had to restart PiService and reboot the headset before it would connect successfully, but I was able to use it in VR with only the data USB cable providing power.

This likely depends on the quality of your USB data port, but it proves that the second USB cable isn’t strictly necessary. It also demonstrates why the headset needs to be put into standby, instead of simply turning the power off (like I did on my 8K).

4 Likes

I wonder what happens when we don’t do this. Will the headset degrade because of this, if so, major issue!

2 Likes

If I don’t put it in standby, it gets quite warm after a few hours. Also, my screens don’t turn off, which I think is due to a setting I changed. That will certainly reduce the lifespan of the device.

3 Likes

When the conectors are in hard to reach/see place, like close to wall, under desk etc., then finding and turning switch by hand is much easier than trying to plug-in the USB connector.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.