8K+ with better upscaling and screens

Most reviewers disliked the 8K, because it wasn’t much better than the 5K+ for the extra performance (and some information after upscaling could be lost due to diamond pixel arranngement of the screens in the 8k and from upscaling from 1440p)

I think the 8K could be better if it rereleased as a refresh with a 1080p input which can be upscaled in a 1:1 ratio correctly to 4k, whereas 1440p>4k is not a 1:1 upscale ratio,

and with the non diamond grid RGB 4k screens used for the 8KX it might look significantly better with possibly less performance required.

Note how 1080p is one quarter of 4k, hence why it upscales to 4k better compared to 1440p
(and without as much lost information)

1 Like

AFAIK the plan is for the 8kX (2x4k panels, 2x4k input) will be the flagship headset for Pimax, and already far along in development. I think a lineup of 5k+, 5k XR, and 8kX should cover a wonderful swathe of potential customers with a “complete package” of RAS/cloth, controllers (with “wand” and “knuckle” price points) and basestations on offer.

I’m optimistic that Pimax will have all of these items ready for a Christmas 2019 release of the 8kX Deluxe Complete Package, and in doing so cover the enthusiast PC VR market from the $1k-$2k price range with options to save cost all throughout.

3 Likes

That seems to be very optimistic.I wouldn’t bet money on this one…

2 Likes

They already have my money! I’m just being optimistic for my own sake. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

imho the 8kx will be that 8k+
the new bridge chip used has a build in scaler, it will be a single cable solution (1 x DP 1.4) and it seems very likely that pimax will use newer/better panels in the 8kx then in the 8k

1 Like

We dont need yet another new headset…

No but we need decent screens for the 8K.

Seems though SteamVR is still a limit to the potential of the 8K though. Can’t run PiTool render at 1.25 with 100% SteamVR Vid and App as I hit a limit in settings of 8192. This in Wide DOF which has 9996 on the horizontal view.

If I change SteamVR default.vrsettings file to more than 8192 then I get left right eye scale issues.

Just wait there’s better that will be coming soon pimax after sales being nearly non existent is what you want to avoid so I say save or spend money on something other than pimax with all the flaws

@Mrvr Im not sure if you are aware of the fact that basically all support and after sales ticket are now being processed within 24 hours. The support has dramatically improved since the new platform, people get assistance many times during the same day, all RMA replacements are sent out within 2-3 days after receiving the faulty units, and i have currently no support DMs on queue either.

If anyone is still awaiting help, its probably because their ticket was created back in the old system long ago and got overlooked. Thats mainly because email replies never got registered in the ticket system. That is now solved in the new platform.

Either way, if you happen to have any problems with a ticket, or been waiting longer than expected, please leave me a DM (direct message) here.

Thanks
Martin

6 Likes

Actually it was two months and three weeks for me :rofl:

Yes its unfortunate, but that was before the platform changed, during the messy platform migration process, and before the support/after sales team got bigger. What I mean is that if you create a ticket today, after all improvements, there should no longer be any delays. This was our goal in the first place, and the team is really working hard to keep up everything nowadays.

2 Likes

Yes they are so working hard that they fixed their brand new odoo system malfunction yesterday.
Tickect created today? You really are right.

There was some unexpected and temporary malfunction last weekend yes, but that doesnt mean support tickets are left behind or delayed any further.

4 Likes

All my tickets have been handelt rather fast - I can support that!

2 Likes

Back on topic, Pimax 8K+ witrh better screens - No. May as well go with the Pimax 8K-X, you get the better screens and no scaling issues from inbuilt chip. Not worth having something in between.

2 Likes

Agreed. There’s no point in an 8K+, when the 8KX is what the + version should be. Now, imo, there is a spot for an 8K OLED version, but not until those panels have full RGB subpixels, instead of using PenTile panels.

3 Likes