8k vs 5k+ latency (and quick 5k vs 8k impressions

@Ludiks Good that you see it now!

To be honest I feel like sebastian (personally). I can’t unsee the wobble when I come back to 8k (after using any other headsets with lower latency for a couple hours). I see it even when just looking around normally the small wobbles. Probably because my brain knows it’s there now so it just focuses on it. For others they probably won’t notice like I was saying earlier.

It’s more like feeling the acceleration of a 8 cylinder versus 6 for me. :wink: 6 cylinder fine for most but I like the feeling and 8 gives me.

It’s like I ruined it for myself by testing for it and comparing

2 Likes

That’s always the problem. If you don’t see it; it’s better not to look for. Once you see something it’s hard to unsee it.

So my general advice don’t go looking for things you haven’t noticed. Be it Wobble, sde or color difference. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Keep in mind a 4 & 6 cylinder can accelerate as fast or faster if power to weight ratio matches up right. But an 8 will often give a better top end speed. (Ref Fast & furious movies) :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry. am working every day through till the 7th Jan, including public holidays and weekends, so can’t be on forums much, but will try to post some suggestions for ED users tonight when I’m home after kids are in bed.

Obviously my suggestions are coming from a pimax 4k perspective and I don’t know how they will translate to 5k or 8k?

Eno

2 Likes

Hey no worries. With Christmas & all very understandable. Just figured in ED there might be tricks in ED settings for the 4k due to upscaling. Family & work must come first. Merry Christmas to you & your family. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

There are a few I know of… For instance to improve the text clarity there are a few option to set,
… but for texture improvements there are different options

… but for a machine that struggles to hold frame rates you don’t use both sets of options at the same time.

My suggested options will be focused on what you want clarity in specific areas.

That might be better so people can experiment with the areas they want to improve, obviously for very high end rigs turning all the options on may be a choice :slightly_smiling_face:

Eno

4 Likes

That depends on the subject in question. If the thing you haven’t noticed yet causes motion sickness, then you probably want to be able to see it (rather than just getting sick without knowing why).

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, but coming from a lenovo explorer with good sde, witch its best 5k+ or 8k? i dont want to have worst sde, or both have better sde than lenovo?

1 Like

I tried both headsets and have an lenovo myself. The SDE on the 8k is significantly smaller, it feels really refined to me. The 5k+ it felt about the same or slightly worse, but the clarity is better then the lenovo.
Century made a great comparison, keep in mind people say the sde of the 5k+ is comparible to the Vive Pro, some say slightly worse. I personaly have tried the vive pro for just a minute

2 Likes

But then you need to know specifically what makes you sick. The french vr journalist for example proclaimed that pimax solved (at least for him) motion sickness.

However for those whom do not suffer it for the same reasons might not be solved. His seems likely one of the componets is low res of gen 1 headsets component of Vergence accommodation conflict.

My opinion without havingba Lenovo to compare. The 8k should have better SDE vs the 5k+. Reason? Due to in theory both Lenovo & 5k+ having the same vertical res & similar main focus view area (say the 100 degree part of the FoV area).

But can’t give you anything definitive.

I think @mr.uu can give a better opinion as I think he said he has the lenovo & does have both headsets as well. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

I do not have the Lenovo, but tried it for 20min a few weeks ago. The Lenovo did disappoint me big time. I also thought, okay, rgb-lcd should be almost as good as my Odyssey (from SDE-point of view), but it was not. The greys (blacks), terrible. The SDE also very visible. No improvement to Odyssey at all. Very annoying.

So from a Lenovo Explorer, any Pimax (8k or 5k+) is a huge upgrade. Also SDE vise.

1 Like

Strange, I have everything on the contrary. Lenovo after OG Odyssey causes more positive emotions, SDE is definitely smaller there, although it can also be noticed…
I’m not very pretentious to the color scheme, I was quite happy. But the lenses are muddy, of course, the sweetspot is narrow, the headphones must be additionally connected, the IPD is not adjustable … But for all that, Lenovo wins OG Odyssey for me in terms of SDE and clarity.
But there really need to try to get into a clear spot, sweetspot, it is difficult to do the first time in fact.

SDE just can’t be better on Odyssey, because it has a lower pixel density per inch, and even PenTile panels.

Odyssey + will certainly be the best in SDE now, in spite of the resolution. But many complain of clarity at distant objects. Familiar pilots write that fly on it in airplane simulators is worse, because distant objects are less clear, and this is very important there.

1 Like

This is highly misleading.
Pixel per Inch means nothing in terms of SDE.
The smaller panel needs to be more enlarged to fill the same FOV. The light emitting parts (OLED) or the switching crystals can be smaller or bigger, yet the ppi is the same. So even ppd is not the holy grail of measurement here. Only in combination with the sub pixel layout.

So again, I had a terrible experience with an explorer and I would not recommend it to anyone.

1 Like

After Lenovo Explorer for me, Odyssey is gone, unfortunately. Look at the pictures above. Everything is very clear there.

The base pixel density of the screens is of paramount importance, and then everything else.

Standard PenTile 1080p resolution will feel the same as the RGB 720p, not to mention the higher density. That says it all.

@jeroen Hmm I have not tried the lenovo explorer like you mention, but I tested with an NPC’s face in the distance on the 5k+ and 8k in Skyrim a few days ago. I saved the location and I counted the pixels on the face, about the exact same number pixels (probably only about 40 on each) that made up the entire face. So the face was blurry. The difference was when I moved my head around a tad I could make out the eyes and eyebrows facial features much better on the 5k+. Also the gaps between the pixels was much worse on the 8k (worse pixel fill factor, space between pixel). The SDE is definitely smaller on the 5k+ when I check this. The 5k+ feels like the SDE of an oculus go to me but a smidgen or two better (check a high res image on go and stare at SDE, talking SDE not resolution) 5k+ definitely a little better pixel fill factor than the Go, and better than the 8k by even more. (These aren’t massive differences in the big scheme of things though.)

tldr; 5k+ vs. 8k SDE is sort of like an Oculus Go’s SDE and pixel arrangement (horizontal) vs. a Vive pro or OG odyssey SDE and pixel arrangement (diagonal). 5k+ is slightly less SDE than the Go though.

1 Like

Don’t scare me so please :roll_eyes: :poop:
In general, it is strange, after all, at 8K has higher resolution panels. @Mr.uu has 8K and 5K +, and he has the opposite opinion about SDE. @Heliosurge also has the opposite opinion. So far you are the first, it seems, who noticed a higher SDE at 8K than at 5K + …
@Ludiks at 8K perfectly sees everything in racing at a distance, on the horizon, and this is an indicator of good SDE.

So far I am inclined to think that not everyone can correctly see the difference in SDE …

Can you do some kind of demonstration test, take pictures through a lens with the same scale so that you can accurately see and count the pixels on both headsets? It would be interesting…

1 Like

Strange I found the 8k better as the pixels are approx 33% smaller.

3 pixels in a space of 2 on the 5k+. Weird.

3 Likes

you don’t have to convert me, i have seen it and made my choice i have no doubts what i like what i see and what my preference are, by the way, specs 16,6 milion pixels on the 8k vs 7,7 milion pixels on the 5k+

2 Likes

@Century Yeah I definitely find it better on 5k+ personally. At the Chicago event we discussed the uniformity of the face on the NPC’s in skyrim up close. It almost matched the odyssey+'s anti-sde but without the softness the odyssey+ adds.

If you watch the impressions videos I posted from the event most talk about the SDE being better on the 5k+. I can tell you it’s sort of like an Oculus go SDE (but even less SDE) versus a Vive pro’s SDE sort of. If you look at something deep blue it becomes even more apparent I have noticed.

Edit: @Heliosurge sorry :slight_smile:

Edit2: also sorry century I have a bad cheap phone for pictures through lenses

1 Like

Oh no. You can not put 8k and vive pro on the same level in terms of SDE. You must be kidding.

5 Likes