8k vs 5k+ latency (and quick 5k vs 8k impressions

Well tbh i find it’s not really affecting presence for me on either headset. But prefer the presence the 8k gives me vs the 5k+. But it’s only due to having both. If I only had one or the other would be quite happy & oblivious to the other one’s difference. & tbh after spending enough time with only 1 probably would prefer it to the other once tried.

But it’s all individual. Going into a TV show room one might prefer a lesser model technically speaking over what they see as better.

This why some see drastic differences in sde blocky/fuzz & some see little to no difference.

8 Likes

Just keep in mind some only see differences because they know it’s there. MaximumPC mag did a great blind test on mp3 sampling vs raw. The Audiophile in the group was quite surprised with the blind test.

2 Likes

I think it doesn’t matter what headset you go with, in 2019, I believe we will see some major releases which will have us all selling our pimax’s. I see the current pimax headsets as a one year ‘rental’ in a sense. Pimax might even come out with 8k-x in a year for all we know which far surpasses either of the current headsets. The reality is the 5K+ and 8K are so close, that it should really come down to what you can afford more than anything and know that either one is basically just a stop gap until whatever large fov headset comes out next year with anti-sde tech and oled rgb stripe screens at an affordable price which I believe is closer than we all think, maybe ten-eleven months away given how fast big corporations with huge budgets and access to panel factories can sometimes drop a product? Which is perhaps only six months away from when we actually all receive our pimax’s haha

2 Likes

Indeed tech is in flux. From reports folks whom jumped on the rtx cards are lilely to be upset. New stuff coming with pciX v4 or v5 & Amd’s new offerings are said to be quite awesome for price & perf. But of course have to wait & see.

1 Like

I messaged doc_ok from reddit (Oliver Kreylos, the vr researcher UC Davis) and told him he can borrow my 8k for a couple weeks, test the latency and check if all of the edge distortion stuff was done correctly if he wants. Will see what he says about analyzing the 8k. (He might be busy but seems pretty passionate about this stuff)

Also a few weeks ago he agreed that you can sort of eyeball general latency with this wobble testing (like pixel or star) when i asked.

Here is an article he linked to then and said he may update his blog with more info on the perceptual side in the future Zero-latency Rendering | Doc-Ok.org

11 Likes

It may affect them, it may not. I am not disputing that Sebastian can and should mention that he noticed it - but he‘s gone to a level of preaching on behalf of the 5K+ which I find rather exaggerated for issues even his co-testers had difficulties finding despite being in a crazy analytics mode for months on the devices. Just take his last Xmas „greetings“ here. There are a number of certainly more pronounced issues each of the headsets have, and telling people they made the wrong choice based on his fixation on certain points just looks blown out of proportion to me. Which elements contribute more to loss of presence, be it poor blacklevels, SDE, or loss of sharpness; or the distortion only a close circle have been able to detect, will remain unclear probably until the end of time, as there won‘t be one universal truth applicable to all users anyhow. And that‘s the whole point, as you conclude too.

4 Likes

Would be cool if you could get your hands on another 8K, just to be sure that there isn’t something wrong with your hardware.

1 Like

Maybe Sebastian @mixedrealityTV has loose eye sockets, so it’d take 20 additional milliseconds for his eyeballs to catch up with the movement. :thinking::beers:

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Look forward to hear how it goes. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

He should compare the 8K latency to the 5K+ for the result to be more useful.

1 Like

We all have not chosen the 5k+ but many prefer the pixel matrix and it is very clear. I looked at both and I chose the 8k after looking at both in Elite. For me the clarity of the 8k is still very good and I prefer how it looked. People keep going on about how the 5K+ is clearly better but they are very close to each other. So close that if the other did not exist I would be happy with either as an upgrade over my Vive.

9 Likes

I would prefer to get the 8K (for the better blacks and colors), but others have said that the text is hard to read in Elite Dangerous and suffers from some sort of aliasing artifacts, so I changed my choice to the 5K+.

It sounds like there is some sort of discrepancy between the 8K headsets or options. In your opinion, how was the text in ED?

1 Like

Hi, its being very hard to choose between 5k+ and 8k.
i have redout, everspace, hellblade: senua’s sacrifice and dead effect2, alien isolation. wich headset its better to play this games? i have a lenovo explorer and sde its fine there so i dont want to go to a worst sde . 8k its a good and stable headset? thanks

2 Likes

The text was very clear and easy for me to read it in both headsets. The artifacts while may be present in zoomed shots I did not notice in game. What sold it for me was the fact that on the 5k+ I could notice each pixel so for example lines on the hud I could clearly see were a row of squares. On the 8k with the slightly softer image I just see a solid line.

6 Likes

I feel really bad that the parallel projection setting was on for the 5k+ the whole time after someone tried pavlov at Chicago meetup. So SteamVR, skyrim, all the games were somewhat blurry during the event! People still chose the 5k+ though, but they didn’t get to see it at max potential :frowning:

It’s why the front LED was blinking on the 5k+ (when pp setting is on it does that!) and people asked me about the led and I had no idea.

Edit: okay I just learned that parallel projection is only a problem with blurriness in large FOV!! We kept it in normal fov a lot so we should be good but also did large a lot with it. Oh man elite looks amazing now in normal fov, it was the large fov causing blur (parallel projection bug)

4 Likes

Yeah the text is already very clear and readable in my lenovo explorer in ed, with the high res panels in the 8k stating the text hardly readable in ed is pure nonsense.
What disturbs me is i can see the pixels build op in the lines and text with my lenovo, i’m glad to hear it is more solid in the 8k

3 Likes

Since the day one and all my testings about the 8k and the lost of clarity in normal and large FoV I think about this.
How was everything set for showing people? Just go from one to another, ohh thats bad since its only since the last Pitool update, a few days ago, that the Large FoV have the same clarity as the small FoV.

2 Likes

That’s great, but now I’m sorely confused. The attendees at the recent get-together who mentioned text in ED (4 of them) all said there were bad text artifacts on the 8K, but text was great on the 5K+. ED is the main game I will be playing in VR. I play a lot of hours, so the headset is very important to me. I have a 2080, so I should have a GPU able to run at higher levels of super-sampling, which should help the 8K’s blurriness (to some extent).

I would prefer to get the 8K (for better blacks and colors). I thought that the 8Ks slight blurriness might mitigate the awful aliasing artifacts in ED to some extent. I find that aliasing to be my main complaint about the graphics in ED. Would you mind answering a few more questions?

Please confirm: This is based on your impressions after wearing each headset for no more than a few hours. (You don’t own one, right?)

In your opinion, even the smallest text in Elite Dangerous is clearly legible on the 8K, correct? I don’t care if the text is “crisp”; the question is: Can I read it?

Would you recommend the 8K to a friend who plays ED?

1 Like

I do not have one yet so my impression is from the LA meetup. I would recommend the 8k for elite to a friend. The color issues, dots, and SDE were the deal breakers for me. That said either will be a step up for Elite over either the Vive or Rift.

1 Like

@neal_white_iii I have opposite opinion as many forum posters here. Tons of hands on time now this week with both, and I would personally recommend 5k+ for elite, even with the worse blacks.

If you watch the first backer on the impressions videos i posted here he had about 2 hours with the game at the meetup. He gives an accurate analysis. Backstory: We completely optimized it and went back and forth with the 5k+ and the 8k at the end of the night.

Elite is on a deferred renderer so it’s going to have bad AA for VR (temporal aa, etc) but even with that it looks really good on the 5k+. And aliasing is less noticeable thanks to the pixel arrangement. He mentioned the text clarity in the video but I can tell you it’s not just the text but everything that is more clear, the stars, the entire cockpit on the 5k+. Also things wobble less and it’s more responsive. Literally the only thing you are losing is blacks being a tad less black imo. I don’t even really notice the color differences.

Edit: Also if anyone has their headset already make sure to use normal FOV because I just discovered today that Large FOV with the parallel projections on is blurry. (pp on required for elite)

3 Likes