8k+ vs 5k+: clarity and latency / 2 HMDs 1 PC (should I return my 5k+ loaner...)

Yes that could be part of the issue - I might try to remove it and see what happens if i swap them. but its generally like if I took a look with just one eye and look a bit more outward then normal its perfect. I could get that in the 5k+ and still have room dialing down to 60 (so 62 fit quite good). In the 8k+ I am at 60mm IPD dialed in and still have that effect. In the 5k I noticed that the center was moving out of my focus also for lower vales of IPD, which I cant reproduce on the 8K+ , there I go as low as it can.

2 Likes

Thanks you guys for your opinions!
Think I will buy the 5k+, that way I also have a safety net in case I might have to send the 8kX back (well, I don’t hope so, e.g. my first 5k+ was nonfunctional though, so it is possible). Think the price Pimax is asking for buying the loaner is not far from the resell value, so in case the 8kX is the perfect solution for all use cases, I could simply sell the 5k+ later.

1 Like

My IPD is 58.8 and I’m able to achieve clarity the same as my 5k+ on the 8k+. The only thing for me at least on the comfort kit thick foam I have to tighten an extra 1mm or so. The MAS makes a nice difference in this regard because you have more pressure and it’s almost impossible to orient the headset at a slight angle.

Also I’d point out that the soft foam does make it easier to orient the headset at a slight vertical angle when the facial pressure should instead be directly towards the face.

5 Likes

I only return my 5K+ cause Pimax can’t give me a non-defective one.

1 Like

I have the same experience with my 8k+ and replaced the face foam with a thinner one to get it more comfortable.

4 Likes

Hm, if the 5k+ turns out to be better for fast paced games and the vision kit and MAS are really comfortable must-haves, then the decision to keep the 5k+ could become more expensive than initially anticipated… :slight_smile:

So also the IPD experience is “more original”? Then I definetly need to try that. What did you use, is that a vive foam?

I noticed immediately after the first few minutes of gamplay with the 8k+ that something is not “right” for me, and i am happy now with it. I use the same foam with 5k+ to get as near to the lense as possible.
Yes, its a 6mm face foam for htc vive .

3 Likes

Thanks I will try that!
I also had the feeling that the top Comfort kit foam pushes the HMD in an unusual position since my forehead seems a bit large ( I noticed you removed yours).
But didn’t extend on that. But I think I really should.
Its a really a picky thing to get the “perfect” position and it really makes a large difference.

2 Likes

As far as I understood they use another foam for the 8kX now? Would be interesting whether the Vision kits that can be bought individually all have that new foam now or the one that came with the 8k+?

2 Likes

Pimax has stated that the new comfort kits will come with 2 pieces of foam: 1 regular (what they have been shipping) and a new thinner foam. I’m not sure if this covers the separately purchasable CK or only the one that comes with the 8KX (and possibly other newly-ordered headsets).

5 Likes

I just tried it without foam - and i guess that really is the difference.
Thanks for the hint, I did various press to my face tests but none did what removing the foam did.

3 Likes

Maybe keep an eye out on this:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/confort-kit-the-foam-wears-out-quickly/28138/24?u=drwilken

It seems like a “genuine” (made to fit) piece so maybe that’s the Pimax one (and maybe the thin version is also (close to being) available)?

And the follow-up question :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT. Here’s the answer:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/does-the-foam-wear-out-quickly-on-your-comfort-kit/28138/26?u=drwilken

1 Like

I did notice that you can see where the foam is in touch with my head its not a bad wear but it shows (also due to the light color) but on the 5k it has not up to date.
Its bit of a pain those foams, even my Sennheisers Foam or better the upper most layer starts wearing off and also the sewing came lose… not what I would have hope for in that price class.
Hope Pimax brings some of those foam variants into the world.

1 Like

Guys go check out vrmust site, this is where I bought the leather face cushion to fit the 8k+ and the Artisan, with the comfort pad.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for posting that photo. Great to see confirmation the comfort kit can be used this way.

1 Like

I got one yesterday at Amazon and crazy as things are its on the 8k+ already now. It’s a bit small for the Pimax but works.

I think a modular Face Cushion would be awsome.
@PimaxUSA
My checks seem a bit far away, so to reduce pressure on the nose I am thinking about taking the two lower parts of the original Cushion and place them on the left and right and keep the thinner upper part of the 6mm one.

Having the option to get different thicknesses for the different areas would be Awsome

I might add a very thin one to the top, so the velcro does not scratch the upper forhead in longer sessions.

This could also be achieved with some underlay, velcro that attaches to the bottom and has the counterpart on the top side again. Then it could be added as need under a thin cushion to build the hight most comfortabl and with best optical results. That would also reduce production complexity if it works as a DIY Kit.

Of course we could also just t buy a role of velcro :thinking:

4 Likes

Seems like an extension of the idea I posted here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/please-add-with-the-pimax-8kx-also-a-thin-face-pad-in-the-package-for-the-comfort-kit/27779/13?u=drwilken

Great minds think alike… :wink:

3 Likes

You are and where definitely right! :laughing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.