8k+ same as 5k+?

That can’t be right and I think it must be an issue with pitool (I hope so) but I need to ask

Does 8k+ should have bigger resolution than 5k+ when steamvr is set on 100%?
Colors are also the same. Absolutely no difference in graphic except 8k+ got no visible SDE.
Everything is exactly the same like my 5k+ without sde

My res at 100% in steamvr is 2562x2106

Fov - NORMAL
Render Quality - 1.0
PP - off
maxrecommendedresolution - 16384

Those of you who already have 8k+ could you please tell me what’s your resolution in steamvr at 100%? Thank you :+1:

8K+ and 5K+ has the same input signal at 5K. 8K+ upscale it but you will perceive the same resolution and have to use the same settings in SteamVR. You will notice a bit sharp than 5K+, but not a lot.

You just wasted money.

My 8k+ is better than 5k+ all the way around by a considerable margin.

3 Likes

@Culver9
Go plus 2 on contrast and -2 on brightness for colors they are way better than my 5k+.

@quanentanglement that’s exactly what I had on 5k+ and now I use +2 red and green +1 blue -2 brightness. I can barely see any difference. Also I had sharper image on my 5k+

No SDE is the only better thing :confused:

@SweViver any news about 110Hz for 8k+?

1 Like

@Culver9
Not sure then. Maybe down to settings? But my 8k+ is much much better then my 5k+ in colors, contrast , resolution screen door effect, comfort, I can push res higher and get better performance than my 5k+. What is your GPU?

@quanentanglement I have rtx 2080 (not TI version)

Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe 8k+ would be better with higher resolution.
Can’t wait for 3080ti :wink:

What game did you test? I’m spending all my time with dirt rally 2

1 Like

@Culver9
I’ve tested a lot of games.
Boneworks
Siners and saints
Shadow legend
Curios tale of the pets
Hellblade vr
Fallout 4
Skyrim
Luckys tale
Probably some more, Lucky’s tale looks insanely sharp and smooth! No horrible black dots like my 5k+.:face_vomiting:
I was seeing details in Hellblade that I never seen before, and that game is heavy workload for any GPU.( should still have headroom to s.s. with next gen.)
Fallout 4 actually looks awesome. I think I may finely play this game. Going to add some mods and figure out controller scheme. Index controllers aren’t compatible I will probably use OG vive wands.

1 Like

But then the difference might be that you have one of the not so good batches of 5k+.

3 Likes

How would you be able to push res higher and get better performance? The work being done by the GPU is exactly the same.
I am sure the 8K+ is great but this sounds a lot like placebo effect (for the performance).

2 Likes

@Thoemse
Possibly, I’m not using fpsvr. But I seem to get less stutter and less frozen screen or crashes at high res.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.