8K, or 5K+, that is the question - Discussion

As 8k X backer i´m going for the 5k+ :sunglasses:

I like the clarity more and the better readable text.
And i´m not a sim gamer :wink:

1 Like

SDE 5K+ far away

SDE 8+ far away (good for driving car?)

4 Likes

I wonder how many backers aren’t obsessing over their headsets like we are and haven’t been keeping up with the forums.

2 Likes

Good question. Assuming I hadn’t been following the drama, I would have done some significant research if I got a “Which do you want, 5K+ or 8K?” email. As it is, I’m still not sure, but I have many weeks before I’ll need to decide.

2 Likes

Are these actual pictures from the 5k+ and 8k?

Yep, actual pictures.

1 Like

Where did you get these photos?

I can’t imagine the first 100 backers of this project not reading the forum. The first 100 backers knew about the kickstarter before it was mainstream, waiting with their mouse pointers on the buy button.

2 Likes

You’re pointing at different bits. That far off sky you’re pointing at in the 8K also has no SDE on the 5K+ but look at the rock just underneath on the 8K and you’ll see the SDE.

Although I agree SDE is better on 8K anyway though I agree.

1 Like

Of the % split between those that selected the 5k+ and those that selected the 8k, one must keep in mind a huge portion of Pimax backers simply don’t read the forums, the YouTube reviews and what-not. Not everyone, even in an enthusiast enviroment, actually pays attention beyond “is it ready?” The email offering those people a choice was telling them it was ready, simply stuck with what they backed.

Myself, I only came back to the forums because I knew it was getting close to delivering a product, and I don’t see 5000 other 8k backers posting on here - couple hundred at best.

Pimax is a Chinese company too, so how many Chinese backers (commercial or otherwise) are reading the English released info and videos?

2 Likes

Until yesterday evening, I still was convinced sticking with the 8K.
Then, I saw a new video from @mixedrealityTV where Sebastian invited someone else, Dennis, to try both HMD’s.
And it was Dennis’ reaction and explanation which finally made me doubt whether not to change to the 5K+…

When I look at those two screenshots above, the 8K’s image is way more blurry than the 5K+'s one.
Yes, I can see a bit of a SDE on the 5K+ there whereas the 8K has almost none. But where exactly is the benefit of a lesser SDE if the whole image gets more blurry instead…?!? Ok - I can perhaps see some more objects at far-sight - but I’d have to strain my eyes in order to focus on any closer object.

It’s really a pitty we have take such an difficult decision.

But right for the moment, if I’d get the Pimax e-Mail now, I’d choose the 5k+.
At least, I think… :wink:

3 Likes

Which headset is “best” really depends on what features are most important to you.

The blurring is slight, when you are in VR (and not zoomed in with a camera).

I also think that it MIGHT be possible for Pimax to improve the clarity of the 8K. (There seems to be something wrong with the upscale, which might possibly be fixable (depending on the source of the blurriness).

I’m still undecided, but leaning towards the 5K+. If Pimax can improve the 8K visuals, I’d get one of those instead.

2 Likes

Well, I am #246 or #247 - based on the last days’ progress, I expect my e-Mail with the question within the next 7-10 days approximately, latest, as long as there isn’t anything unexpected happening.
So I fear I don’t have the time to wait until Pimax might improve something - or not :wink:

Does anybody know, whether the 8K’s panel and pixel matrix is the same as for the 4K?

I have the 4K, and the image is 90-95% cross-sharp without any noticeable SDE - so very very good, almost perfect though not 100% perfect.
So if it would be the same kind of panel and pixel matrix in the 8K, I’d stick with it - then everything is fine and even might be corrected somehow through firmware update or the like.

1 Like

I am still holding out hope that one of the chosen 100 (on each side of the 5k+/8k fence) are running with Team Red. Maybe I will finally get some decent information on how these HMDs perform with Vega as the driver.

1 Like

I do not know, but from the this video it looks like they are different panels. It has been already discussed here by people who own 4K who confirmed that subpixel arrangement observed on 8K does not look similar to 4K one.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/demostrating-pimax-8k-has-real-rgb-subpixels-with-an-4k-panel-resolution-and-explaining-the-source-of-its-image-problems/8629/35

1 Like

It would be great to have some up-to-date through the lenses video (like this one [Pimax 8K through the lens] Elite Dangerous + Pimax 8K v5 prototype - YouTube) to compare 5K+ vs 8K. It could give a better idea of the image quality when playing a game.

I really appreciate all the beta testers efforts to show us de differences betwen both headsets, I learned a lot by following discussions on the forum about screen panels, optics and more… But at the end, I still can’t imagine how my game will look when I’ll put my Pimax 5K+/8K on. Yes I saw some pictures, but it’s not like in a game, when the camera and objects are moving around.

Maybe a through the lenses video comparison (not zoomed, in a moving scene) could help us compare SDE and clarity in a “near real experience”. I personnaly would like to see how SDE, near and far objects are appearing in a moving scene from a game like Skyrim VR, or how a scene with text like the ED example looks in the 5K+.

Thanks a lot @SweViver, @mixedrealityTV, @VoodooDE and all the others who helps us backers to make a decision here!

edit: typos and spelling error… English isn’t my main language!

2 Likes

I don’t understand that everybody seems to accept the colours and blue tint on the 5K+, I find them awful.

1 Like

So you should pick the 8K, if the colors matter more than the sharpness.

This is what makes the 5K+ vs 8K choice so difficult. The 8K is both better and worse than the 5K+, depending on the feature you’re comparing.

4 Likes

No i find them alittle bleached also on the 5k from the comparison shots but nothing like the mixed reality sets

Believe me when I say it, you will never think about it or even notice it unless u compare it side by side with 8K.
Really, the 5K+ have great colors. Dont judge by the poor through the lens photos…

12 Likes