8K New Prototype Updates

Here’s a thought with flexible displays why not warp the panel to reduce warp calculation? Using mild warp distortion to fine tune.

Is there any information about which version of Lighthouse the 8k will ship with? I am assuming they are the current ones since the new ones will not be available for some time.

Good point. And if their customising LCD displays why not manfucture a square 4k display instead of the landscape wide FOV. They must still be modding phone displays

Might be harder on the 8k model due to special optics but on a revisit on say a 4k model base with dual displays in theory should work well.

I think that’s the future of VR. However it will take 2 years I guess before 4k OLED displays that can bend hit the market.

1 Like

@deletedpimaxrep1
I have a question about the auto-demisting system.
Does this mean that I see vertical stripes and flashes that I saw on the pimax 4k again?
If so, do you plan to use an additional lens (shutter glass)?

The people who experienced pimax 8k in Kitas 2017 praised the screen that was brighter than pimax 4k.
We are waiting for it to be released in that state. So I’m worried that pimax might give this change to the final version.

1 Like

I still highly doubt those vertical lines are for defogging. They’re across the shutter glass and in fact they seem to be the only electronic connection the shutter glass has. So I don’t think they’re for defogging at all but they’re just part of the shutter mechanism if you ask me.

@deletedpimaxrep1: can you confirm ? Also does the pimax 8k have shutter glasses ?

@crony @Sjef we have improved auto-demisting system, there won’t be vertical lines in the next gen 4K and 8K.

4 Likes

Yes,we will upgrade to TS4231 for the more feature support!

3 Likes

So… nobody wants to explain what 75/90 hz refresh rate means ?

2 Likes

5K and 8K CLPL version is 90Hz,
The 5K BE(Business Edition) AM-OLED version currently is running in 75Hz, but we’re try to improve to higher refresh rate.

6 Likes

I advertise of pimax 8k on www.etr.fr but many people think that your masks will not keep promises because it’s still too early for 2 x 4k and 200 ° fov. You must absolutely have them tested at reputable vr sites

2 Likes

21 posts were split to a new topic: Pimax brainwarp technology

Anyway this is cluttering up the thread, I’m going to move all these brainwarp posts to a seperate thread, hang on …

EDIT brainwarp discussion here please: http://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-brainwarp-technology/2811/1

1 Like

Best feature and what I’m exited most is eye tracking which will alow Foveated rendering whot will not just increase performance, it is esential for full and realistic usage of 200 deg FOV.

In theory it surely is a wonderful feature but I don’t think there’s even a single game that supports it at the moment ? I’m afraid we really need to wait till HTC/Oculus are going to offer it as a standard feature for developers to start supporting it.

HTC is already ofering eye tracking as modul, about Oculus it is not sure in which direction Facebook will go with VR usage. Looks like they are not interested in VR for gamers and there is no anouncemant about any possible CV2 Rift. Oculus will go in some sort of All in One VR more for video and VR desktop for facebook usage.

I’m expecting that some serious VR games like DCS or Il2 BoS, some of driving sims or Elite and dangerous will implement such technology. I doubt they need much adopting to implementing new technology because VR need lot of hardware resources especially AAA titles. Sush titles will make essential difference with implementing such techology and one more thing VR is new stuff and it is progresing faster then GPU so in near future this will be for sure demanding stuff.
When 8K reach day light HTC Vive will already breake the ice with eye tracking and Foveated Rendering whot is already 2 or 3 yeare old technology.
It is time to get practical use.

No, it’s a chinese company offering a module for the Vive. Huge difference in terms of support and ability of getting developers motivated to develop for it .

Fact of the matter is that I own a Deepoon E3 for several months already. It has eye tracking too. Now try to find me just ONE single game or application that can use it. One would be enough. I can’t find even one. That’s my point. I don’t think SteamVR even supports eye tracking at the moment. In fact I’m pretty sure of it.

So with Pimax 8k it will go exactly the same: Pimax will offer eyetracking, but you can’t use it.

We’ll have to wait for the big guys to offer it. Then the ball will start rolling.

Truth imho we need less fragmentation. Too many different sdks. We need developers to agree to a basic set of standards for easier cross compatability.

Like freedesktop.org? Standard that is used for linux desktops.

PC needs less limits & more flexibility.

This is where its unfortunate that valve decided to create its own openvr branch instead of going with osvr. Plugins are great way to ad features.

Now within steam we might see these features come into play as there is alot of developement on steamvr.

3 Likes

I think foveated eye tracked rendering needs to get baked into the OpenVR SDK… but most graphics settings are adjusted on a per game basis, with the exception of reprojection/ATW.