5k+ works for a few seconds - then screen blank

I got my 5K+ yesterday and have disconnects as well, one to three times per minute…
Moving to different DP- and USB-ports didn’t change anything, it keeps disconnecting.

This evening, latest tomorrow, I will try to uninstall everything and clean every temp-directory suggested here. Hopefully, that helps…

I also thought it might come from the HMD’s own power supply being to weak and/or defective.
Does anybody know whether I can use any other fitting power supply? I have one where I can adjust voltage and amperage - so if I set it to the values the 5K+'s power supply has, it should work, normally - correct?

1 Like

That should work.

The other guy with the bad (dead?) power brick had a different symptom than Yours as his HMD didn’t turn on at all.

He just bought a universal power brick and set the correct voltage.

Just make sure it can deliver the right amount of Amperes (it’s OK if it’s higher than needed as it just draws what it needs).

3 Likes

Thanks everybody for the proposals! Will try this out today evening.

1 Like

Status update: Completely reinstalled the PiTool as proposed by @JeepingJohnny.
Didn’t help unfortunately. Found out that by switching the HMD and the PiServiceLauncher service on and off several times I can get out of the 10935 state sometimes (needs several attempts), Then PiTool shows the 5k Plus, Start SteamVR and Room Setup buttons. But haven’t gotten the HMD led to switch to green anymore since yesterday.
Have now ordered a universal power adapter to rule out that something is wrong with the one I have. Not sure though - it is powering the red led just fine :slight_smile: So it’s at least not completely damaged. But we’ll see…

P.S.: When I am lucky that 10935 is gone I can even start games (e.g. TheBlue). And if I move the headset around the gyro infos seem to be transmitted as my perspective is changing. Just the screens stay black and the LED red.

1 Like

Finally the led went green again and the screens turned on. Returned back to red a few seconds afterwards. So I’m back to square one.

Not sure why you’re not RMA-ing? Obviously your HMD is broken

2 Likes

Not sure because this driver reloading and on/off switching to get rid of error 10935 - could also be a software incompatibility / bug. Or a software incompatibility and a hardware issue. Sent another response to the Pimax team (they brought up pretty much the same ideas as in this forum - so they are actively trying to help. If they propose to send the unit back I’ll do that. It’s technically still their’s anyways as it’s a loaner for the 8k x :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Do you have a friend who has a decent PC that you could try installing it on theirs to see if it is indeed the headset and not an issue with your specific PC?

2 Likes

Maybe try shutting down all extra software. Firewalls Antivirus anything running that you can turn off. Sounds like something is conflicting with the pimax drivers.

2 Likes

^^Good ideas, will try it on another computer as soon as I have the opportunity (not this week). Will also disable services as far as possible.

1 Like

Have you submitted a ticket? They can setuo having a teamviewer session to see what is going on. @anon74848233 can monitor tge ticket to help expedite. @pimax-Support @Sean.Huang can you look into this?

Try installing an earlier pitool as the newest might need a newer firmware if it didn’t update

Am in contact with Pimax support (Alan). RMA usually works by the company sending an RMA sticker that is supposed to be placed on the package to the customer, which they provide as soon as RMA is considered required. I understand that they want to rule out other possibilities first. Up to now the proposals were imho reasonable, so sure, will try these. (No, buying arbitrary new hardware and converting my room into a clean chamber was not on this list :slight_smile: ). If a teamviewer session is considered helpful I can also do this.

3 Likes

Some further tests: Found another 12V power supply with the same connector (and 2 A). Also disabled various services. Also tested several PiTool versions (.91, .76 and .84 - .90 didn’t even install for me - meant installier corrupted, even after another download attempt).
Didn’t really help, same behavior in all cases.

So have tried everything but another computer and the thin foil hat by now :slight_smile:
The led only went green once today at the beginning. Could indicate a thermal issue with some component. Let’s see what support says, probably it’s really RMA time now.

4 Likes

Please contact our support team via servicedesk, That’s the fast way to solve the problem

The servicedesk link : http://feedback.pimaxvr.com/

2 Likes

Ok, provided the previous email correspondence with support in the ticket.

3 Likes

Update: Got a replacement 5k+ from Pimax today - first tests went great so far :slight_smile:
Thanks to Pimax for the good support and uncomplicated handling!

6 Likes