5K Super Refresh and FOV setting issue

Hello, the product page for the new 5K Super says that we should have these settings available:

Refresh Rate FOV(D)
180 Hz 150°
160 Hz 170°
144 Hz 185°
120 Hz 200°
90 Hz 200°

Now, I don’t know how those diagonal degrees of FOV translate to Wide, Normal, and Small because there are more bins in the product page table than there are the PiTool (4 vs 3 respectively).

However, the main issue is that “Wide” is only available on 90Hz mode and I would suspect that “Wide” would also be available on 120Hz given the product page table.

What’s the issue?

2 Likes

Horizontal FoV:

• Potato ~ 100º (150º diagonally)
  • Small ~ 120º (170º diagonally)
  • Normal ~ 140º (185º diagonally)
  • Large ~ 160º (200º diagonally)

?

“Potato” isn’t available on all headsets as far as I remember.

5 Likes

I was looking into the 5K Super as well but I am skeptical. On the 5K Plus when you are using 90Hz the measurements are as DrWilken stated above. When you move up to 120Hz (even though the menu in PE says the same sizes) the FOV is smaller. All FOV settings are smaller than what they are in 90Hz. For example Small in 90Hz looks like Normal in 120Hz, Normal in 90Hz looks like Large in 120Hz and so on.

Would it be assumed that this same trend is going to follow in the 5K Super, or will 90Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz etc. have the same sizing layout across the board, and the different Hertz modes will simply be restricted to a specific size.

Thanks for your feedback,

1 Like

I hope you would know better Doc :wink:.

The FOV values advertised by Pimax are calculated in Pimax Time-Space continuum, where days mean weeks, weeks mean years, the circle has 450° and the Euclidean geometry no longer holds.

Your better approach would be to go with non-quantified qualifiers like “Bigger, smaller, and quite alright” instead. :wink:

Or you can check the HMD geometry database (HMD Geometry Database | Collected geometry data from some commercially available VR headsets.) to get an idea for 5k+ or 8k-X. The 5k super is not in there yet, but I would not expect its rendering geometry to differ much from already existing Pimax headsets.

7 Likes

I believe he is just using the reference of the pimax values to real world equivalents.

:beers::smirk::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

4 Likes

Exactly… :+1::wink:

I do know better @risa2000 , thanks to Your effort… :nerd_face:

4 Likes

So…why can’t I use Wide on 120Hz then? Seems like an error given it’s advertised it should work same as 90Hz…

2 Likes

I would recommend downloading @risa2000’s hmdq program and do some tests. Risa would likely be interested in adding results to his hmdq database of headsets.

Risa also sent @Pumcy info on your program. He said it will be very useful. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.