5K+: SS and PiTool-Setting not working properly? [solved - FOV "large" is buggy]

Hello everybody,

I just might stumbled across another problem:

It seems as if my 5K+ doesn’t react on any SteamVR-SS- or PiTool-setting. Image quality stays the same, and sharpness doesn’t get better or worse (most noticeable with any smaller text or HUD elements).

A couple of days ago, I’ve driven some races in Project Cars 1, and I was once again quite disillusioned, because I was not able to read my lap times in the little table in the upper right corner - which I was very easily in my former 4K-HMD (with SteamVR-SS 190%).

So I started different SS-settings as well as PiTool-settings:
a) PiTool 1.0, SteamVR-SS 100%
b) PiTool 1.0, SteamVR-SS 150%
c) PiTool 1.5, SteamVR-SS 100%

=> there is only a slight effect on the FPS (a: 42,28, b: 41,78, c: 41,17), but this so tiny that it might be coincidence. But apart from this, no change concerning image quality and sharpness.

Even driving SteamVR-SS up to 190% doesn’t change anything - Euro Truck Simulator 2 still is very well playable with 50-80 FPS - but I can’t read any road signs until I am almost passing them - which I was with the 4K to a much greater distance already; not perfectly, but significantly better.

I already tried different ways of starting and rebooting the 5K+, PiTool, SteamVR - always the same result. PiTool and SteamVR already have been reinstalled three times, so a wrong driver installation probably isn’t the cause.

Does anyone else here have problems with SS-settings not working properly?

Thx :slight_smile:

What FOV are you using? High or Normal?

High (large)
(20 characters)

Try changing it to Normal. I have heard there are problems with High/Large. See if it helps.

I know that playing on High/Large on games like ED/Lone Echo makes it look worse. I think it’s the software

Ok, thanks for the tip. I’ll try it :slight_smile:
Hopefully, if that’s the reason, Pimax gets that bug fixed… That large FOV is so much better for my games… would be a pity if they don’t fix it.
But first, I’ll see whether that’s the problem.
Thx.

Some game engines, especially UE4, ignore the SteamVR SS setting so you have to use the SS setting in game if it is available.

1 Like

Obvious that nothing had changed.

I have pc1 too and will try once I come back next week from holidays. I did try it once or twice to compare it with pc2 but there was not much FPS gain between the two and pc2 looked much better.

Just a restart of steamVR should be enough if you change the SteamVR SS settings. Of course if you restart steamVR you have to restart the game, too.

Wow, good to know this!! THX!!

1 Like

Ok friends, issue fixed:

FOV-mode “large” seems to be buggy together with PiTool-setting and/or SteamVR-SS, as @TonytotheB has suspected.

I updated PiTool to latest version 1.0.1.95 and changed FOV from “large” to “normal”, and now, the difference in sharpness between PiTool 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 is obvious. Having set it to 2.0 (for testing, extremes workes best ;)), I finally can read the lap time table as well as the smaller letters on my Toyota Hybrid’s bord computer. Furthermore, I finally can read the gear, day time, temperature and speed limits in Euro Truck Simulator 2.
As long as I set FOV to “normal” - switching it back to “large” results in PiTool-setting working not properly apparently.

Furthermore, with “normal”, the whole image seems to be a bit more steady and less flickering than with FOV “large”.

So at first, my issue is solved, and the difference between “normal” and “large” isn’t as significant as expected.

Nevertheless, when I “buy” a HMD advertising a “large” FOV (200°), then I expect it to work properly in long-term. So @anon74848233, please forward this PiTool- and SteamVR-SS-setting issue while having set FOV “large” to your engineering team :slight_smile: Would be nice if this bug could be fixed someday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

See my post about this:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/psa-pitool-render-resolutions-are-not-linear/12079

Seems like Large FOV is using a smaller vertical resolution. You need to upscale it more, simple as that.

1 Like

Well, from my experience, “large” doesn’t react to any upscale setting at all. I can push SteamVR to 190%, and it looks as if I didn’t touch the setting. So, from my point of view, it’s not only a matter of more upscale - first, it is a matter of whether it upscales at all - or not :wink:

That’s interesting. Is there an upper limit to supersampling, I wonder.

mine does what I am expecting it to do either normal or large fov. as long as I restart pitool and steam VR each and every time I change something.

but as said certain games just dont react to steam SS - like iRacing.

Pitool settings and Steam SS settings get completely ignored on all FOVs (8K). Any experience with this behavior?
(1080ti)

Could you provide the following information?

Version numbers (PiTool, PiPlay, FW, SteamVR, etc)
Which games (ie some games, all games, oculus home, steamvr, standalone, etc)

Some games especially UE4 games ignore Steam SS settings. These mostly have their own settings in game.

1 Like

Steam Home isn’t reacting to any sampling changes.

Steam Home doesn’t react with my 5K+, too. But the games do, so far. Best check with a game with a lot of text. Normally, you should notice the difference right away.

My 8k ignores only under 2 conditions SS from pitool and steamVR in games like elite and Il2-Bos (requires parallel projection activated):

-FOV large
-parallel projections checked

(computer restarted every time)

2 Likes

Guys if you want to be able to supersampling with the pimax you need to change the value in a file into the steamVR folder.

There is a line into the .txt file that is Max recommended resolution and by default the number is 4096.

Even if I was putting Steam VR at 85-90-100% my benchmark points result with assetto Corsa was always the same.

I changed that number for 8 192 instead of 4 096 and now there is no way I could run the benchmark at 100% with steam + 1.25 with pitool and still reach 90FPS like before.