5K+ Received, my thoughts about it

The review was done using PiToolSetup_1.0.1.111_beta (which is really important considering the differences I experienced with an older version).

This is a repost as a stand-alone thread from “https://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-arrived-yesterday-first-impressions/15900/16?u=schadows” for the “https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-official-activity-updated-sharing-your-gaming-experience-with-pimax-grand-prize-rtx2080ti/16183?u=schadows” as asked by @Leon.Wang

Like many others I also received my 5K+ too and … mixed feelings.

For the records, I already have an HTC Vive, and obviously reused its controllers and base station.

INSTALLATION :

Quite the painful process.
Installation manual is way too basic, especially since you have to use HTC Vive accessories (lighthouses and controllers) and there is nothing about that in there.

After pitool installation, there was only a “Start Steam VR” and “Room set up” button, but neither it wasn’t enough to get the whole thing working, and I was wondering how can the headset connect to the Vive lighthouse and controller without doing anything. The fact is it didn’t >__<
After trying several things on my own for about an hour, I found a solution on the forum by deleting files here and there, and a new button appeared to pair the accessories.
But a couple of week later, the whole things wouldn’t start again, and I had to updating to a beta version of PiTool (coupled with several restart) so that I could play again.

Imagining someone more “casual” than me, the meager documentation provided in the box, and the quite unstable software would be clearly insufficient.

You also need to be aware (not written anywhere in the documentation either) about the suspend functionnality of the lighthouses are tied to the Vive Link Box (and now the Vive headset too), so you MUST uncheck suspend mode in the settings if you don’t wish for them to stay sleeping.

As for the software in general, although it has potential, letting us choose settings that others don’t let us tweak (refresh rate, masking, brightness, etc.), it is still very unstable as explained above, and also some option needs to be changed per game with a reboot of the headset and/or Steam VR in between, which is a very tedious process.

CONFORT :

Quite disappointed here.
The strap is awful (can’t wait to receive the deluxe headstrap), and the face cushion is everything else than a cushion. It is very thin and hard which is very uncomfortable.
The nose part has almost nothing so it hurt the nose when hitting against it when turning the head suddenly, and raising the headset a little to avoid that show a big space at the bottom which let light enter the headset, breaking immersion.

Also, my eyelashes were brushing the lenses, which was very uncomfortable. I don’t consider having long eyelashes (and I’m a guy) so it surprised me.
I usually wear glasses, but switch to contact lenses for before trying the headset, which ended up being a good idea to avoid scratching the lenses.

Pimax MUST provide an face cushion twice the thickness of the current one (I miss the possibility to get the lense closer/farther of the Vive).
I tried switching to the Vive cushion, which was a little thicker, and it was already an improvement. Not perfect of course, but still, an improvement.

The promised deluxe headstrap is desperately needed, as some solution for the area around the nose.

VISUALS :

The good part is here d(^_~ ).
First thing first, comming from the HTC Vive, I’m VERY impressed by the screen door effect. Sure it has not disappeared entirely, but you reaaaaaally have to look for it to find it (whereas it jumped to my face the first time I tried the Vive). it is such a big step up compared to the Vive. Kudos to that.

When I first tried the headet with the available PiTool software at that time, the Large FOV had very disturbing because of heavy distortion on the edges. Even normal FOV had some kind of “line” at the edge where it seem to display something else.
Having to updating PiTool to a more recent version (but beta), I must admit I didn’t noticed distorsion while playing Space Pirate Trainer for example. I was greatly impressed.
Even Normal FOV didn’t had that suspicious line at the edges.

Having switched back and forth between the Vive and 5K+, I must admit that after getting used to the Pimax FOV, it is quite hard to go back to the Vive where I now feel cramped.

As for the sweet spot … I don’t find it any better than the Vive so far. Since the FOV is better, it give the impression the sweet spot is even more narrow, but that just because there is a larger blurry due to the larger lenses.

The only downside I noticed so far is the lack of real black, and lesser contrast than the OLED panels of my Vive. But, in my opinion, that’s still a good trade-of against the screen door effect.

TRACKING :

Nothing to really say here.
I mostly played Space Pirate Trainer (which involves lots of sudden movements), and quite frankly, I didn’t notice any difference in tracking performance compare to my Vive. Just better graphics and FOV.

CONCLUSION :

Generally mixed review.
It has lots of potential with a BIG step up in visual quality, but the unstability of the software and the great lack of confort is very concerning.
Fix the confort issues and it will be already be a great improvement to what VR can offer today.

The headset is even supposed to be future-proof with the accessories promised during the kickstarter campaign, like the wireless and eyetracking module, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

5 Likes