5K+ or 8K? My test of M2 through pictures of Aerofly FS2, Project Cars, and Virtual Desktop (Update with pics of extreme setting on floor 28)

@Tobias_Claren I have no accurate way to test the FOV. I tried to push the FOV slider of Virtual Desktop to 200°, and I can still see both sides of the virtual screen. Anyway it’s big enough.

6 Likes

Guys, this is not complicated. The 5K use NATIVE resolution. The 8K can not and will not EVER produce a sharper image than the 5K simply due to FACT that the 8K native resolution can not reproduce a 5K signal image correctly. You cant just makeup data that is not there to fill in the extra pixels on the 8K and expect it to look exactly as its intended 5K signal.

I knew the 8K was a gimmick from day one once I heard it will upscale a 5k signal to 8K.

1 Like

I still want to see StarVR One & OG tested for real horizontal FoV. And not so hard to be able to do with Steam support at least in the One version.

Diagonal is likely some weird Triangulation using the 2 viewpoints creating an Arc that runs diagonally. An optometrist might be able to answer something on this.

2 Likes

Awesome I figured digital cameras were likely applying filters unless you turned off key settings.

Adding an intermediate pixel every two, 8K cannot, theoretically, have less information than 5K. Cleaner image does not necessarily mean less detail. The same occurs, but inverted, in a sharpness filter. The resulting image looks sharper, but contains less information than the original

1 Like

With same render res / SS, wouldn’t they both contain the same amount of information?

1 Like

Yes, with the exception that 5K should use more pixels from the rendered image due to the smaller display, but the scaler shouldn’t remove information

2 Likes

Agreed. The scaler technically wouldn’t remove information so much as smear it around.

2 Likes

@yanfeng

Can you do the same test of this?
http://community.openmr.ai/t/mrtv-pimax-8k-vs-pimax-5k-plus-sde-quality-comparison-at-maximum-quality-settings-supersampling-on/8394/30?u=bubbleball

This tool
http://community.openmr.ai/t/real-o-virtuals-free-headset-test-tool/5748

@VoodooDE Can you do it too?

The 8K scalar does not remove information, it just displays it incorrectly on the 8K panel because an 8K panel is PHYSICALLY not capable at displaying 5K image correctly since the pixel matrix does not match the 5K signal.

Just try it yourself on your computer. Change the resolution on you computer monitor out of native resolution and look how horrible it looks. This is exactly what is happening in the 8K.

3 Likes

I understand how resolution scaling works. This isn’t my first rodeo. Or twentieth. Been using computers since the 80s.

5 Likes

Theoretically not entirely correct. If you drop the 5k and stomp on it til it doesn’t turn on any more… tada!

There’s a very serious problem here. The resolution should be the same at same value, since both devices have the same input resolution… yet on the 8K it’s LOWER with a higher setting. Software bug? That would explain many things… Hardware bug? Now that’s very bad.
@deletedpimaxrep1 could you comment on this please ?

2 Likes

isn’t it because of the difference of panel utilisation?

2 Likes

Then we’d need to know what the REAL input resolution of the 8K is. If it’s really much lower than the 5K+, it would explain lack of details of the final result despite having a much better panel with higher DPI.
And then… well, there’s no point of choosing the 8K hoping it will get better, because it can’t happen if it’s a hardware problem. The 5K+ will always be better.

Yes but because you must distort the image before the scaling process this in theory could reduce the final detail level how much that the question but it’s not ideal. by upscaling with a none integer ratio 2.5K to 4K a distorted image I’m pretty sure we losing something here. It’s the only problem? don’t know…

if the upscaler was more “intelligent” compensation could be done but been done by a hardware chip it’s improbable.

Let me try to explain what I’m suspecting… (pfew, finally managed to format the images properly…)

I’ll use this original picture. I intentionally added some smaller text to illustrate the problem we also have in the headsets.

This is how it would appear at original resolution seen from nearer in a headset (5K+). It’s crisp, but you see the pixels more.

This is how it would appear on a headset with higher output resolution and an upscaler (theoretical 8K)
As you can see, the image is smoother, you see the pixels less, yet the details remain.

Now this is how it would appear on a headset with higher output resolution and an upscaler but with a lower input resolution (real 8K ???).
As you can see, details get lost, the small text is almost unreadable… just like on the 8K vs the 5K+.

We definitely need some clarification on what really happens in the 8K.

7 Likes

Just wondering if you are aware of the latest PiTool update addressed yesterday by SweViver? Seems to be a game changer to the images, especially the 8K clarity.

4 Likes

Well latest update seems to be showing improvements overall.

But awesome representational pics. In the same factors can simulate using sharpening & other filters prior to upscaling to observe effects.

1 Like

What really makes me suspicious is the difference of resolution in the Steam 3D software between the two headsets at the same setting even though both are supposed to have the same input resolution of 1440p per eye. In my pics, the difference between the two last images is only a reduction of 10% of the input resolution, same output resolution, same scaling algorithm, and the quality difference is already obvious.

It would really be a relief if all those problems were just a small software error in the Pimax driver which transmits the wrong input resolution. There’s absolutely no valid reason why the 8K would lose so much detail with exactly the same input resolution, even if the upscaler is the most simple one (I used simple subpixel upscaling in my examples, no complicated Lancos filter or other).

PS: I’m working in computer graphics for 30+ years… I started on a Commodore Amiga, nowadays I work in digital signage (including some AR and VR). So I know a bit about what I’m talking about… :wink:

3 Likes