5K+ or 8K? My test of M2 through pictures of Aerofly FS2, Project Cars, and Virtual Desktop (Update with pics of extreme setting on floor 28)

I don’t think you can base an opinion on SDE on pictures and videos unless there’s a very large difference such that of the original vive vs pimax. If you look at the SDE comparisons that have been posted, the vive pro/odyssey looks pretty close to that of the 8K, but I can tell you having tried both, the odyssey is very noticeable SDE to me, while the 8K (V3 at least) was very minimal, closer to the PSVR’s SDE. I’m interested and hopeful about the 5K+, but I think you should trust the opinions of the people who have actually tried it and said the 8K has better SDE rather than the pictures and videos.

1 Like

Which is why I think these are very misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re right. The problem with Sweviver’s review is that most of his pictures are zoom in rather than zoom out. But when you zoom out, it appears Pimax 8k is finer and better than Pimax 5k+. But just looking at the zoom in pictures, Pimax 8K shows more SDE or poor SDE pattern than Pimax 5k+…like for example in a cockpit, you can’t even make out the numbers. This tells me Pimax 8K is not going to be clear from a distance view. Would it make a difference if he pump up the rendering and jack up the SS on 8K? Who knows, i would like to see pictures of that compare to 5K+.

Thanks!

2 observations

1). You’re the first one to my knowledge to answer the burning question of whether or not turning up Pitools to 1.75 increases the quality of the 5K+ as well as the 8K. SweViver says just turn up Pitools to 1.5+1.75 and the 8K matches the 5K+, so to see that you can do the same on the 5K+ and it remains one step ahead of the 8K suggests what we suspect I e. That for the same SS 5K+ outperforms 8K.

1. You give exactly the OPPOSITE advice as SweViver which is confusing. He says get 8K for Sims because you can see further into the distance with the lower SDE but get 5K+ for other games. You however say 5K+ for sims and the 8K for other games. Hmmmm. If the quality of the 8K is better for aesthetics as you say then surely that’s just the best HMD overall because it is also better for distance clarity…
3 Likes

This is very very helpful. By any chance, do you fly with Eagle Dynamics Digital Combat Series (DCS)?

There is a free option that allows you to download two planes for free. Any chance you can download and install for some testing?

I only use Rift for flying in DCS. I’ve had Vive, and Odyssey, but Rift had the best look for me. I was wondering if you could test it out like you did FS2? Thanks for the review.

2 Likes

There is a timeline posted on youtube He covers the basics of what you ask. 2:23:18

1 Like

Yup saw that. But there is no 5K+ vs 8K comparison. I wanted to see the HUD and instruments and the distant targets in the same way that yanfeng did in the original post.

Thanks

3 Likes

I take several shots of 8K at extreme setting: PiTool rendering 2.0, SteamVR Supersampling 500% (12479x11435)
I can’t see any difference from Pitool 1.75/SteamVR SS 42%. Nor is there much difference in framerate. I think there is something extraordinary with this PiTool version (0.74C). In earlier versions this setting will make the computer crawl and unplayable. Anyway here are the pictures.

8K 1x extreme setting

8K 3x extreme setting

2 Likes

Would you mind posting 5K images of the same text with same SS? Thanks!

1 Like

My 5K+ is not at hands now. I don’t think it would make any difference in the case of 5K either. There is something wrong with this PiTool 74c.

2 Likes

People are confused and can’t decide which headset to pick because the difference between the image quality is so minimal and varies depending on the game and the camera angle and the moon position and some other things as well.
My money is on 5k+ since there’s one less component to break down. And to eff up the signal.

4 Likes

Did Pimax deliberately cheat us with “200°” FOV?
And now it turns out that it is a maximum of 160 ° horizontally.
When a “FOV” is mentioned, ALWAYS meant the HORIZONTAL FOV.

Is the 5K+ ALLWAYS better? Also with 1080Ti or 2080Ti?

Who cares ?
Vive isn’t 110 … it’s 95
So still around 75 ° more and if you would have seen the other reviews they say 170° so it would be 85° more … pretty much exactly the % difference that they advertised.

3 Likes

OK. But what are the 110° at Vive? And I believe, “210°” at StarVR One is horizontal.
Where can I download the test tool for FOV?

Not true. FoV on both Vive & Rift is off. Due ti no standards on reporting specs.

The Vive has a max of 100° of Fov horizontally …
Just look it up.

1 Like

Pimax never said it was horizontal. The kickstarter always showed the measurement as diagonal.

4 Likes

Only problem with the “diagonal argument” is that the diagonal in degrees, of 170 by 120, is not 200; It is 170.112, unless somebody can show me how we arrive at 200 (Personally I suspect that the mistake was made, of treating the angles in degrees, as were they pixels, or millimetres, of kathete and hypothenuse length on the screen’s plane).

EDIT: I’ll note that Pimax seems to have corrected the matter, by not listing anything in degrees in PiTool, instead naming the options: “Large”, “Normal”, and “Small” (…or something similar, if I misremember the exact words).

1 Like

@yanfeng many thanks for these pictures. You can avoid all the processing, filtering and colorizations applied by your smartphone using the RAW format, which in Huawei P20 Pro is native. The RAW format is the capture of sensor data, can be opened in photoshop and other programs to be transformed into JPG or PNG without effects and under the same conditions

(the phone’s graphics processor thinks that the screendoor is noise, so it tries to remove or reduce it)

4 Likes

@mmorselli Thank you so much for the advice.

3 Likes