5K+ ejecting smoke

Hi, I had a concerning event. 3 Days after getting a replacement cable for my broken 5k+ cable, I enjoyed flickering free gaming. After a longer session I took of my sweat drenched headset and pressed pressed the power button, as I was hearing a hissing noise and shortly after I smelled burned plastic. I directly unplugged the headset. While examinating the 5k+, the lower usb port was ejecting smoke and was extremly warm to the touch. Maybe sweat was creating a shortcut in the 5k+? Probably total damage and I don’t think, that I will ever again plug it to power. Has anyone else ever heard of fire hazard before in a pimax headset?

Not that I heard.

To be honest, when I first got the 5k headset, I did smell something burnt occasionally in my room near the computer.
I check everywhere, but couldn’t find the source. My computer is connected to the 5k Super headset all the time.
Cannot say for sure that’s something in the headset though. Now the smell is gone.

My 5k+ used to regularly overload and knock out my usb port. But no fire.

No fire hazard reported. There was 1 other case involving the bottom usb port. Sweat might be a reasonable hypothesis that has maybe pooled in the bottom. If your table had a wet spot that may have interacted. However not sure.

Have you contacted Support? If so @PimaxQuorra can likely look ino the ticket.

There have been some similar reports on hmds like quest and quest 2 from what I had seen on Reddit.

Is there any visible damage around the bottom usb port? The fellow on reddit had pics of the port plastics melted.

Hmm, looks like it is filled with molten plastic or something…

indeed it also looks like the connector shifted position. I am thinking that likely a good idea to have a rubber plug for when it is not occupied.

Was it sitting on the desk when this occurred?

No, I held it in my hand. It happend the instant I took the headset from my head and held it in front of me, probably turning it 90-180 degree during that movement. But coming to think of it, a few minutes before that during the game, windows was telling me, that the usb device couldn’t be detected. I was just irritated, as I was not plugging any usb device during gaming. But maybe it was when something started to happen to the usb port of the headset. So I think, the sweat entered anywhere else and it was only flowing to the lowest point in the inside of the headset

1 Like

Maybe you’ve got one of them scent prototype modules built into it… Did you play anything related to fire? Might be a feature :grin:

Nah but there was a fellow that vaped to death his 5k+ iirc on Facebook. :person_facepalming:

Though the best was the fellow here whom his pet kangaroo ate his display cable.

Hello,

I assumed the sweat caused this issue.

Suggest not to connect any power to this headset to prevent further damage.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.