5K+ and Nolo CV1 problems

Hi,

Cross-posting here because I’m not sure where the problems comes from. The interactions between Nolo software, Pitool and STeam VR are complex so we can’t guess.
Some time ago I had a brief period where the CV1 seemed to work quite good (after already lots of problems), but it didn’t last long. Now I’m quite fed up of the problems and I’m thinking of replacing at least the controllers or even everything, but I’d prefer not losing the picture & FOV of the 5K+.
Seeing on MRTV yesterday that the Artisan was going to use the same station and controllers than the CV1 gave me a very little hope that things still can be sorted out.
I have 3 problems at the moment:

1. Cables interference between the Pimax cable and the headset marker cable (the 4m supplied with the CV1). If the cables are too close, the tracking starts to behave erratically. If I pull the Nolo cable away from the Pimax cable, back to normal. Very annoying since it’s difficult to keep the cables completely separated in a gaming session (not even talking about room scale, even sitting on a chair).
    Not sure how I could reasonably fix this, would need a super shielded 4m micro usb cable maybe. Didn’t find one yet, and no answer yet in the Nolo forum where I posted this a few days ago. Anyone with a 5K+ and a CV1 also experiencing this?

2. Completely unstable positioning. Yesterday I started a game of Guns’n Stories, which looks great on the Pimax. I could play for a few minutes (as usual), then boom, I was suddenly flipped backwards in the game although I was still facing physically the base station (playing in a chair) and there was nothing I could do about this, game over. This happens quite frequently, completely killing the VR experience. Not sure if it could be related to the previous problem, possible.

3. Very often too, the right controller “jumps” behind me, this can happen randomly in game or at next startup of Steam VR, again completely killing the current VR session. If I quit the game, it remains like this in Steam VR home. I have to switch everything off, redo a room setup, and maybe it works again. Only does this with the right controller.

Double clicking the controller system button to recalibrate does not solve the issue.

To make it short, I’ve simply never have been able to really enjoy my VR setup up to now. Even when I thought it was working, it was because I did only very short sessions during initial VR discovery.

It seems to be a software issue, but is it in Nolo software, Steam VR software or Pimax software, I have no idea. For sure, it doesn’t work properly.

Everything ( Nolo firmwares, Nolo home, Pitool, 5K+ firmware, Steam VR etc…) is at the latest level. Whatever the issue is, they’d better fix this for the Artisan, although the 1st problem should not occur with a single cable.

@PimaxQuorra

1 Like

Okay as Nolo From what I have read can be problematic.

The Cable for the headset Marker. If it is Micro Usb where it plugs into the Headset Marker. See if you can find a short Micro Usb on one end going to a Usb-C and use one of the 2 Usb-C ports on the headset might resolve this issue.

If @park is around might have an idea on other issues your experiencing.

1 Like

Hello Gandalf68,

Could you please raise a ticket at Support with title (5K + and Nolo CV1), our technician in CS team will give you instruction once they receive the ticket. If possible, notify us the ticket number, we can help to forward it to our CS team.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

1 Like

I repeatedly say every Pitool update. Perhaps it is in technical support that you need to write, and not here in the forum. As a tip, you can install Pitool 129, it is currently stable for Nolo

Thanks for this, didn’t know it was possible to use the headset integrated port (I see only one at the bottom?), for sure it would be much better since it would eliminate this interference problem, and also one cable from the pimax to the PC. So the Pimax acts as a sort of USB hub? I have ordered the needed cable.

BTW, yesterday evening I had the left controller “jump” behind me, so can happen to both.

I’ll wait for the cable, see how it behaves and then open a ticket if still needed. There was a Nolo update yesterday, maybe it is just random but it seemed to be a bit better… to be continued.

1 Like

The top usb-c port is just below the top headstrap.

Thanks Heliosurge, found, you have to know it’s there otherwise invisible :blush:
So now waiting for the cable and hoping things will improve. I will update the post here of course.
This should be in the CV1 doc, they only have an old doc for the 4K , not showing this.

1 Like

Haha… I suddenly had a doubt… I checked the Nolo Box that I had stored and… there’s an appropriate 20cm cable included!! :smiley: So no need to wait for the ordered cable, and good news, it works fine, so problem 1 is solved. Thanks a lot for that, it is also much better with only the Pimax cable hanging around!

About problem 3) , this is now clearly a pure software problem, Steam VR related it seems, or the way it works with Nolo/Pimax software. It just happened again, but if I press the system button to enter the Steam VR menu, the controllers (pictured as Vive controllers) are properly placed and tracked (tracking is still a bit jerky, but one thing at a time). Switching back to Steam VR Home or a game, the left controller is behind me. Strange. Steam VR is 1.9.16

1 Like

Awesome to hear. Glad at least 1 issue resolved. :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

Need to figure out where my Razer Hydra is and re visit it.

So, the current situation is that the controllers work fine in the Nolo visualizer, but in Steam VR they are facing backwards 45° in my front left, and are at the floor level. Calibration and room setup don’t change anything. This is really a pain. Never had that before.
Video: Controllers problem - YouTube

1 Like

Have you checked with Nolo support on this?

You need uninstall the nolo home. it interferes with the display of pitool drivers and check the pitool version should be at least 1.0.1.121

4 Likes

@TheDeax thanks for this, it seems to have solved the problem! I barely used Nolo Home (only for diagnosis with the visualizer in fact) since it’s not needed for a Pimax anyway, but I never uninstalled it completely…
I could play a normal session of Beat Saber for some 20 minutes yesterday evening, which never happened up to now! Maybe I’ll finally be able to enjoy VR. To be continued.

3 Likes

Well, it didn’t last long. This evening I’ve completely lost the controllers in Steam VR, but even PiTool doesn’t see them in green so I don’t think Steam VR is guilty here. I reinstalled Nolo Home just to check that the Nolo hardware was OK, and it is, they are working fine in the visualizer. Then I uninstalled Nolo Home again, but still no joy.
This software environment is simply and totally unstable :rage: See also the post about rebooting the 5k+ that I will do in the next minutes…

@PimaxQuorra

1 Like

Nolo itself can be unstable as each company that has direct nolo support needs to do update things.

See iVRy in Steam. He comments on not supporting anything directly with nolo save main driver.

Added pimaxquorra to your post. If you have a support ticket enque may need a tech to take a look.

Hello Gandalf68,

We ask @SweViver here to check on your problem, he might have some useful tips for you on this problem.

@SweViver Can you please help him on this matter? Appreciate on your help.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

1 Like

Strange, I haven’t seen this problem yet running with Artisan and NOLO CV1.

Also…what is NOLO Home? :joy: I didn’t even install any software to get it running. Just plugged it in, it installed some driver, disabled Lighthouse tracking, did the pairing and calibration and it just works. Had a 30 minute session in Aerofly FS2. The controller tracking is extremely precise I must say. You can easily tell as you constantly hold the yoke with at least one hand. No tracking loss or shaking at any time. Did 2 flawless landings.

1 Like

Pimax has there own Nolo driver. NoloHome is the gate software if using it on a headset without sobto speak native support ie phones?

Because of Nolo’s setup like this have to be careful updating nolo firmware as it might not be updated in pitool Nolo driver.dll

1 Like

Yes, Nolo Home is useless with a Pimax, except as said previously for the built-in visualizer, which allows to verify that the hardware and tracking are working fine when there is an unknown problem in Steam VR & games. Today I completely powered off (unplugged) everything, PC, headset etc… and it works again. But I’m way to high and have to re-do the room setup once more. This is completely unstable.
Question: if I buy Index base stations and controllers when they are available, would it work fine with the 5K+?

2 Likes

I see, thanks guys.

Regarding the question about Index controllers and 5K+, yes it will work flawlessly.

2 Likes