3D Depth and IPD Adjustments

Just out of curiosity, are all of you using an IPD offset in Pitool to achieve a greater sense of 3D depth? I’ve always left my Pimax offset at the default setting of 0 and just dial in my actual IPD via the dial. How does it work? Do you make adjustments to the offset, then manually readjust your IPD via the dial? Isn’t it bad for your eyes to mess with settings like that?

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve always done the same as you - dialled in IPD and 0 offset :+1:

5 Likes

usually it’s only needed when you want to achieve 2 eyes in focus at once feature & it makes Pimax work wrong, coz you need to put IPD on minimum which breaks world scale, software IPD makes things look good again & without eeye strain, but it varies per person & is really subjective.

If you dial you mechanical IPD, panels automatically offest the image to be aligned with your lenses you don’t need to dial software offsets for it, but if your brain is used to other scale or you dialed lenses too close to each other you need to return panels images back to be aligned with your normal stereo vision.

We don’t do it to offset images too much & get eye strain, it’s kinda hack & additional tool to calibrate to get panels images aligned properly.

The best way what you can do in terms of aligment is to close one eye, then switch quickly eyes note the difference at angles at which you look on some object at X distance & try to achieve the same thing in VR so it matches your IRL convergence & other factors, with this got achieved you have no eye strain

5 Likes

You should try altering vertical offset as well, it makes a big difference to world scale. It adjusts live and shouldn’t cause you any harm, and may well greatly improve the experience, it does for me. Just experiment with it in different titles.

3 Likes

my hundreds of hours of experimentations with IPD leads me to this temporary conclusion :
Set the IPD the closest as possible as your measured far IPD. this is the best way to have the right world scale.
now, you can do it by the wheel only, by the IPD offset only, or by a combination of both.
Do not necessary start by trying to make picture clear on both eyes at the same time by adjusting the lenses, it would automatically lead to a wrong IPD and would automatically need to use a strong IPD offset in pitool. This is not necessary, for most of us, brain can adapt and build a 3D clear image from one eye in the clear zone, and the other in a less clear. it just takes some time.
I suggest to use a combination of IPD offset and wheel, and I also suggest to do the changes by very little incrementations, to let you brain/eyes adapt.
For example, my measured IPD is somewhere in the 63 / 64 mm zone.
my most recent good results are by setting an IPD of 64.
the wheel is set at minimum+3mm; and the IPD offset ads another +1mm to reach 60+4 mm
the image appears perfectly clear to me, although I have never both of my eyes looking at the clear center of the lenses at the same time.
Brain adaptation.
if you make strong changes at once, like several milimeters changes, it will give you a wrong feeling at the first place, leading to a bad conclusion.
it can take hours, if not days to adapt to a new setting.
So ideally aim at your real measured IPD, but if your current pimax IPD setting is far from that, do the change very progressively, and in a week or less you’ll have both a clear image and the right scale.
This is what happens for me.
Of course, the foam, the mods on the foam, and the orientation of the headset are crucial to reach a good result.
this headset is very sensitive to how it it placed relatively to your face/eyes.
also you may have a difference in height between your left and right eye. so the vertical IPD can be a solution to correct that.
this is apparently the case for me as I often return back to a 0.5 difference between left and right.

1 Like

Awesome reply, makes sense. :+1:t3:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.