3840x1600 60hz as a mode for the 8k (non X)

I truly hope that its not limited. I would hope that a firmware uodate could fix that. For one chip to be a limiting factor like that, it would be as bad as their choice of hdmi 1.4b and a color compression standard that they could not even use on the 4k.

If it ends up being true, this should have been a lower FOV HMD. At least then, that low input resolution would not matter as much.

I would almost suggest pimax engineers just bypass the internal scaler entirely if you are right about that.

In fact, just let the GPU on the PC scale the image, and send the chip an already prepared 4k frame that it will accept…

Ie render at 3072x1600 on the PC, scale it in software on the PC, send image to scaler, or directly to the panel.

I cant get over how incredibly stupid it would be. The GPU already needs to render a greater than 4k image to compensate for distortion. To then downsample into 1440p then upscale again to 4k is just a waste of time, and probably adds latency .

4 Likes

I suppose the other option that might be possible if the scaler is quite limited is to do a very high resolution but narrow fov mode? 2270x2160 at 60z is the same pixel rate as 2560x1440@80hz. That would give you a native full vertical resolution 120 odd degree headset with no scaling at all from rough calculations. Doubt it would be worth it in most games but it would be great for work/detail stuff. Also you would not have to oversample on the PC end to make the headset upscaling look ok (as there would not be any) so the actual GPU load would be much lower than standard mode while giving you higher detail in an fov slightly higher than HTC Vive.

So you might have 200 degree upscale mode, 170 degree upscale mode and 120 degree native mode.

Effectively a pimax 4k at native resolution and with proper tracking. I’d find that useful. What do you reckon @deletedpimaxrep1?

5 Likes

They would need to let you swap the lenses to an appropriate config in that case , and the 1440p mode at 80hz would already look as good as the Pimax 4k with appropriate low FOV lenses.

Hooefully the scaler can accommodate an uncinventional resolution.

It just seems like a total waste to upscale 2k to 4k, when the HMD should technically easily be capable of more.

2 Likes

No lens change. Just black bars inserted Into the edges of the span. Distortion correction won’t work any differently in the active part of the screen.

2 Likes

[quote=“VRGIMP27, post:41, topic:7591, full:true”]In fact, just let the GPU on the PC scale the image, and send the chip an already prepared 4k frame that it will accept…

Ie render at 3072x1600 on the PC, scale it in software on the PC, send image to scaler, or directly to the panel.

…The GPU already needs to render a greater than 4k image to compensate for distortion. To then downsample into 1440p then upscale again to 4k is just a waste of time, and probably adds latency. [/quote]
Don’t forget that the downsample is required, so that the data can be transmitted over a single cable. Full res data at 80 or 90 Hz requires 2 cables (like the 4KX). Or at least it DID. Now that we know that the 2080 will have the new Type-C VirtualLink cable connector, it makes sense for Pimax to rework the 8KX to use it instead.

Since the 2080Ti will likely be released soon, it makes me want to upgrade to a 8KX, even if I have to run it at a reduced resolution for a few years, until the 2180 or 2280 is released.

3 Likes

I always use mobile + riftcat to play vr, so 4k at 60Hz is acceptable for me if it can work on some mode.

My friend test 5k of “henry” on his gear vr and the image is wonderful. So I think 4k at 60Hz may be useful for some contents although it can’t play some game.

4 Likes

My vote is for modular scalar chip :joy: to upgrade in future

7 Likes

As I hinted about it many times, it is an incredibly stupid thing how much the display chips and logic are limiting on the display panels, adding useless extra work and wasting so much power; add the slow old panels to this equation, and you can see how a problem reflects on another and both try to compensate or avoid the problems of the other, in a loop…such a stupid thing…

Until maybe these bandwidth limitations are completely removed, and not constrained panels are used, there will be no significant progress in wide FOV VR; for example we’re still using connection cable technology that sucks big time, analog cables that are not suited for these types of applications, when we could have been already using something like optical thunderbolt cables for display transmission, replacing the hdmi/Dp analog rubbish from some years already, it’s probably time to consider things like these to go over these limits, because VR needs it badly. (TB even has became royalty free in 2017…)

4 Likes

Theere are bottlenecks everywhere. Look at that 4k 144hz monitor that just came out. To get the best out of that monitor (full color gamut, HDR, 10 bit color, rec 2020 it needs to run at 90hz. Still great, but there are not even GPUs that can drive that yet.

Even the new RTX cards wont hit those FPS.

4 Likes

We’ll see. Hopefully these new cards are pretty powerful.

1 Like

Definitely. I’m more worried about the 8k’s potential for longevity if we cannot raise the native resolution above 1440p.

4 Likes

Well i Would say it will give a good run even with the 2x1440p input. But truthfully Pimax could introduce a send in upgrade option to purchase.

Of course would be better if the internals were designed like M2 cards in a laptop to swap/upgrade items like. Bridge chip.

Remove cover swap card run software.

1 Like

I’m hoping their design can accommodate my recommendation for higher resolution at 60hz via software only. We did it on the 4k, I only hope the same works this time.

4 Likes

This is where it will be good to see how well the BW concept works. If it works well as predicted can be a great option even if not as good as Native.

1 Like

This is a lot more feasible with the new VR connector on the 2080. Otherwise, you’d need 2 cables and probably 2 circuit boards in the headset. Of course, Pimax would need to design a new circuit board, unless they change the 8KX design to use the new connector.

I would certainly buy a DIY upgrade to full native res.

3 Likes

Well even if you could change scaler/bridge as a swappable board. You could buy thr new Analogix Bridge chip upgrade board “sold by pimax”.

The upcoming chip may solve the 90hz on 8k as ot has more bandwidth & if mem serves a scalrr built in released sometime 2019.

Other wise pimax could setup authorized shops to do hard upgrades that are not user friendly.

1 Like

I’m not afraid to do an “unfriendly” upgrade. I know how to use a soldering iron, etc. I’ve repaired electronics without a manual, which wasn’t designed for repair.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean that unfriendly lol.

3 Likes

Does anyone know the model of Scaler that the 8k uses? @deletedpimaxrep1

1 Like

Where is it?

5 Likes