3840x1600 60hz as a mode for the 8k (non X)

For sure, they need a working general profile, but if experience has taught us anything, let the community mess around for best results. No two people will be satisfied with the exact same profile

3 Likes

If brainwarp works well, maybe 50hz native 4k would be acceptable.

1 Like

i distinctly remember in discussions pimax mentioning that warping up from 60 was their low bar.maybe that has changed since, any boost in performance would be great

2 Likes

It seems to me that they want to be able to win on the spec sheet, which is ultimately unimportant, IE 80hz, super wide fov Fresnel lenses that have been problematic, etc. When a lower fps at a much higher resolution with Aspheric lenses would do absolute wonders for this thing given what has been shown by StarVR, Samsung, and Oculus.

Remember that those big companies are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to perfect Fresnel Optics when at an FOV of 170 degrees aspherical optics will still work, and they lack the distortion. Michael Abrash himself has noted that physics and current optical tech are the issue with high FOV.

60hz is not a low bar by any means, its the proven baseline.

3 million people presently own a 60hz hmd with a 1080p rgb panel (the PSVR) it only runs at 120 reprojected.

@deletedpimaxrep1 A dual element aspherical lens (like the one from the original OSVR HDK) would do wonders if the horizontal (as opposed to diagonal) FOV of the 8k is closer to 150-170 degrees. The entire lens is basically a sweet spot.

With a 3840x1600 60hz or 3840x1440 60hz mode, if you had aspheric lenses with good calibration, it would make the image incredibly compelling compared to ALL OF YOUR COMPETITION.

These are the specific lenses from the OSVR HMD, though they no longer sell them. Im sure the engineers could find a pair online.

https://osvrstore.com/products/dual-element-asphere-optics-for-5-5-virtual-reality-display?variant=16937368193

Here is a road to VR post about them

The headset is already a great value, what with the steam VR tracking and the Oculus support. The headset just needs some Polish and fine tuning.

Frame rate and lens Distortion seem to be your biggest problems, so nip it in the bud and use the technology that you know for sure works well.

2 Likes

I do not have PSVR (nor any other headset), but from the reviews I read about PSVR, it was mostly described as ā€œacceptableā€ and always as the worst from Vive, OR and PSVR bunch. So for me it is really difficult (without real hands-on experience) support your statement. Did you try PSVR and compared it to Vive or OR?

Those lenses are made for one single display and offer 90Ā° FOV. If you are interested in dual display ā€œpanoramicā€ lenses these are also available:

but cost a bit more :wink:

I am not sure either is an option for Pimax.

What you are asking for is complete redesign of the headset with completely different design targets in mind - definitely not ā€œjust some polish and fine tuningā€.

4 Likes

It would not require a redesign at all. All they need to do is make sure that a person can safely remove the 8kā€™s current lenses, (which has to be technically possible already given how many iterations they have gone through,) and then provide a plastic lens adapter that fits the current lens shape that will adapt the hole to fit a more conventional aspherical lens. If you need proof that this can be done, look up the Gear VR lens mod for the vive pro.

I have a Gear VR Note 4 innovator edition, (which is 60hz) and a CV1. I personally have no issues with a 60hz refresh rate. My computer monitor does 1080p 144, but I find that I can switch to 60 and I hardly notice as long as its locked 60, and as long as you get consistent frames in VR its difficult to tell the difference, but not impossible.

For example, even though the Vive and CV1 are native 90hz displays, if a PC misses frames Steam will automatically drop the FPS to 45 and reproject to 90 FPS. So, in truth often even in Steam VR half of the FPS are fully synthetic frames just like PSVR.

In other words, FPS have been made an issue due to motion sickness, ie liability not because its not technically workable.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œrisa2000, post:25, topic:7591, full:trueā€]If you are interested in dual display ā€œpanoramicā€ lenses these are also available:
https://osvrstore.com/collections/optics/products/wide-field-optics-for-5-hd1080-screen
but cost a bit more :wink:

What you are asking for is complete redesign of the headset with completely different design targets in mind - definitely not ā€œjust some polish and fine tuningā€.[/quote]
Those lenses are much thicker and heavier than the equivalent Fresnel lens, so imo, the headset design would need drastic modifications.

1 Like

CHRIST ON A BIKE MAN!!! $2,300 dollars and THEY ARE UUUGE!

2 Likes

Which is why so many headsets use Fresnel lenses.

1 Like

well, considering those were Sensics D Sight lenses, they are not going to be cheap. If a company in China decided to pump out a lot of units, those prices would drop veryquickly.

If you think about it though, even a set of standard 90 degree eyepieces would be kickass with the 8k, because it would increase the PPD

1 Like

At that rate, in regards to the bandwidth pipe, a mode to reduce res to boost framerate.

We already have that mode, its the default one. If you lowered the resolution more, you would probably lose any benefit that you might gain by adding an extra 10hz

1 Like

OK guys, I just ran some numbers, and based on the existing bandwidth available that we lnow works, that is stable, it is a sure thing that the 8k can accomidate a load of 3072x1600 at 60hz throughput.

I calculared, and It takes up the same bandwidth as 1440p at 80hz. as in the exact same number of total pixels of throughput. So @deletedpimaxrep1 tell the engineers to test 3072x1600 or 3232x1440 at 60hz to see if its stable or looks good.

It should look great as that would be 1536x1600 pixels for each eye

4 Likes

Do you talk about 1 eye or both eyes resolution? Besides, 8K scaler can only take 2560x1440 res (one eye), so you should probably elaborate a bit, about what do you mean by ā€œ8K can accommodateā€.

1 Like

We know for sure that the headset handles 1440p at 80hz stereo. 1440p at 80hz is the same pixel throughput as 3072x1600 or 3232x1440 at 60hz.

Right now, the 8k gets native 1440p at 80hz per eye

So we are talking about each panel getting 3072x1600 or 3232x1440 at 60hz

1 Like

It would depend if the scaler is flexible enough to accept a resolution like that. Also not sure if the panel can operate at 60 hz, but youā€™d think so. I really like your idea though

2 Likes

I think the scalar is very simple and not versatile. There may be significant limitations as to what it can do.

I really like the idea too.

1 Like

If its short that kind of flexibility, then it will be the 4k all over again.

3 Likes

If its only capable of a 1.5x scale of 1440p that would suck. If thats the case, it doesnt matter how powerful a gpu is. The HMD would always be constrained by its native input of 1440p.

2 Likes

So true. At one point I read the specs of the chip someone on the forum said was the one Pimax is using. It appeared to be very limited in capabilities. In particular, I was trying to determine if it could support 1080p, not just 1440p. I donā€™t think it can, but I could be mistaken, since Iā€™m not a hardware expert (just a software guy, with experience writing video (and other) drivers).

2 Likes