2017 (Q4) Bandwidth/Refresh Summit

Good question. Probably already tied in with one manufacturer but they should be open to other options even if it delays shipping. Pimax should be over engineering this thing to be future proof and crush competition. One small bottle neck would make it inferrior to other next get headsets announced soon. They need to over engineer it so we can push the displays to their limit

I took a brief look. Analogix doesnā€™t seem to have much in the way of competition out there(at least in my searches).

I would say probably what might be best would be if it is the bridge chip as it seems. I would see if they could make the bridge componet board an upgradable module. Thus once a new bridge chip is available; PiMax could release a Bridge chip board upgrade.

@Matthew.Xu @deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR

9 Likes

That sounds good to me. Iā€™m competent at repair and upgrades, so Iā€™d like an upgrade option. Especially, if it would allow me to later upgrade my 8K to an 8KX headset, once suitably powerful graphics cards are available at consumer prices.

3 Likes

The ā€œupgradeā€ could mean changing the whole electronics as I do not expect to find pin and signal compatible alternative for analogix and the signal routing on the PCB may be as important as the chips themselves. Which just brings back the original Pimax idea to have the modular upgrade for 8K to 8K-X which they seem have abandoned later on.

If you look at the current design with the valve sensors the mechanical aspect of the headset is already complex adding a modular upgrade although possible would increase cost and decrease production wield

Considering that this upgrade would not be cheap and required a very powerfull graphic card therefore be of interest to only a small number of peoples, the better option is to sell your Pimax 8K headset and Pimax to offer an upgrade coupon the kickstarter backers

1 Like

Iā€™d still prefer to swap a board, instead of buying a new headset, thatā€™s bound to be a less expensive option (if for no reason other than avoiding shipping charges to return the old unit to China).

3 Likes

Iā€™d be happy with 2 HDMI ports to get 90hz refresh. Apart from extra cable is there any downside?