10900k, 11900k, 5800x or 5900x for 8KX?

is there any compatibility problems with amd cpus in certain games?

i know that raidaeon gpu cant use certain envideo features like smart smoothing or fixed foveated/dynamic foveated rendering but what about on the CPU side? should i go for a intel 11th gen, 10th gen or 5th gen ryzen for the 8kx? (preferably to hear from someone who has one of these chips or even both red and blue team chips)

also if you could let me know whether you use a raidaeon graphics card or an envideo graphics card with your processor that would be great.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not been spending a lot of time in VR lately but Iā€™ve not experienced any issues with my 5950x in the little time i did use the headset.

4 Likes

envideo or raidaeon graphics card?

1 Like

nvidia rtx 3090
(20 chars)

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to hear from someone with an 6800xt if they can get stable 90hz on native input mode with the 8KX, if so wouldnā€™t that make the envideo exclusive features a bit overrated?

Whatā€™s the point of having envideo exclusive features such as smart smoothing, and fixed foveated or dynamic foveated rendering if the 6800xt can already run 90hz native mode on the 8kx? If the 6800xt can get 90hz stable is a 3090 even worth it? 16gb should be enough VRAM no?

1 Like

the beta 90hz native is so far only available on a 30 series card, is what I think I read? I donā€™t know if they expect to be able to implement it on the Radeon cards but it sounds like itā€™s more than just brute power needed.

2 Likes

it has been confirmed by raidaeon users that the firmware already works on the 6700xt and the 6800xt, its just not officially ā€œsupportedā€.

3 Likes

ah, that is awesome, Iā€™ve not tested it myself because I need to use a newer nvidia driver to avoid my monitor making trouble.

if your card can push 90hz native then youā€™re probably correct that there is little gained with smart smoothing or forveated rendering. but for games where you have trouble reaching the 90hz stable you can either turn down the details / resolution of take advantage of the smart smoothing / forveated to make up for it. some games like msfs2020 you need to do everything to get acceptable fps.

3 Likes

i have 5900x and 6900xt. just got 8kx.
need time to set it up correctly.
beat saber great, spacepirate trainer great.having truble with project cars 2, but have ļ¼ˆfrom reading hereļ¼‰some things to try, like no parallel projection and focus point.

have dcs, but nit tried with 8kx yet
pimax experience; will not start apps.
had truble with vc not installed.
so give me some time i will report back.

3 Likes

how did a thread about cpus turn into gpus after 2 comments

2 Likes

How did a Radeon and nVidia turn into a raidaeon and envideo in one thread :crazy_face:

5 Likes

how did this thread turn into a thread about typos?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

first i wanted to give a fish, but then I enjoyed :joy:

1 Like

as far as i can tell my AMD R9 5900x is working well.
i can clock it to 5.05ghz on a single core.
not tried more yet.
while on 8kx looks like i have no cpu issues.
but i am having so much truble i can not tell.

2 Likes

5950X and 3090 are working great for me

2 Likes

me tooā€¦ :joy: works well: AMD 5950 and Zotac 3090 (the ā€œbadā€ version) unfortunately with 128GB RAM which limits overclocking because of architecture. Now activated rBar with the new driver and new ZOTAC BIOS. LetĀ“s wait and see. HL Alyx with 8KX is just greatā€¦

I have a 3090 Kingpin. Unfortunately Iā€™m not on the driver that supports resizable BAR yet since 90Hz doesnā€™t work on the latest driver yet.

The resizable bar wonā€™t work for my CPU- the I9 9900. You need a gen 10 intel CPU and motherboard.
Such is life.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, 9th gen may be unofficially supported by some motherboards: https://babeltechreviews.com/z390-resizable-bar-performance/

Edit: I was just able to enable Resizable BAR for my 9700 CPU on motherboard Gigabyte Z390. I had to update both my motherboard bios and my ASUS 3900 OC Gaming bios for it to work, as well as enable 4G decoding in the IO bios settings to have the Resizable Bar option to show up.

1 Like

fwiw my msi z370 with an i5-8600k also has a resizable bar bios update, i havent tested it yet though dont play any games with support and iā€™m on the old nvidia driver for the 8kx 90hz which isnt supported for the updated 3080fe vbios also needed