XTAL 5K vs XTAL 3 vs 8KX - Wider FOV Headsets than the 8KX

If you are traveling to Europe in a few weeks, could make sense to send your unit to them for a checkup. I read all XTal topics here in the forum and it seems like that the lenses of all XTal units are behaving the same, with sharp spots and fuzzy spots. Maybe @stixvr can help us with his experiences, he had two units with different lenses. If on both units this phenomena occured (if I remember correctly from reading), than the probability is high that the lenses of your XTal 3 unit are completely fine.

Of course I hope for you that indeed something is wrong with the lenses of your headset and that it can be fixed. Finger crossed, that it will costs nothing for you!

2 Likes

Soooooo… I mailed VRengineers and they replied:

Even if you are not using dioptric glasses with other headsets, it’s possible that you would need small dioptry correction with XTAL as it is focused on closer virtual distance than standard retail headsets.

I heard that before, I had been in contact with another guy who said reading glasses helped with the XTAL. I thought it made no sense since my eyes are not that bad, I can see sharp as of 25-30 cm. Shorter than that things get blurry but I didn’t think the focal distance on the XTAL would be THAT short. So today I thought what the heck, I went and bought 5 reading glasses (these things are cheap) and … with 1.75 I can see sharp in the center with my XTAL 3 and feel almost no eye strain at all !!

LOL I feel kind of stupid for not trying this earlier but then again, who would have figured the focal distance is THAT short on the XTAL. Needless to say I don’t have this issue on any other headset, most have probably way longer focal distances than the XTAL.

I will now kick this info back to my VR rep and see if they can sell me some correction for the lenses so that I don’t need to wear glasses, cause first of all they dont really fit well in the XTAL and second of all they cause distortion at the edges of the glasses.

Anyway this should be very interesting info for you @pascal314 or anyone else interested in the XTAL.

2 Likes

Interesting to read, that this hole issue with the eye strain for most people is coused due to the short focal distance of the XTal.

Why they designed the focal distance such short?

Then I hope for you, that they will offer you the prescription lenses for free, inclusive shipping, I mean for such an enterprise headset this is a must, in my opinion. But I am happy for you that there is a solution on the horizon!!!

I have since more than a week Problems to get in touch with them. They are not answering my mails back, seems like they are dead or do not like me somehow. I sent them one Inquiry and a Mail with a few questions about their service and the headset.

@Djonko Did you had also problems to get in touch with them in the past? Do I something wrong?

Which payment method are they offering?
The limit of My credit card is not high enough and since this year I can not longer recharge my card with money from my bank account above my current limit. Then PayPal for safety would be the last option for me.

1 Like

weird, no I dont have any problems answering, they answered me yesterday

1 Like

Actually they just sent me some photos of their lens inserts:

They said that costs of the lenses, the modification of the headset and the shipping back of the headset comes at about 500 euro. I’m planning to have this done.

It does seem though, going by those photos, that the lens inserts would diminish the FoV … Going to find that out before placing the order

1 Like

BTW @pascal314 where are you from? If you’re from Europe, I’d just fly to Prague if I were you to get a demo. If you’re from the USA, vrgineers is often doing demo’s there too, right now there’s a demo going on in California. You can follow their twitter for their demo location news. Such demo would definitely allow you to check if you like the headset and you can ask them any question you might have

2 Likes

Might take the opportunity to ask about those fused pancake lenses that Brad showed the other day, whose makers have apparently been approached by both VREngineers and the Lynx guys… :7

2 Likes

Ok, good to know, so maybe the personal for the orders are in holidays. Or they are very slowly regarding orders and faster for the support, who knows. But I think they do not offer Paypal as a payment method, so ordering a headset will be impossible for me than anyway. Funny Situation somehow, I have the money, but no safe possibility to transfer the money to them. I will not consider any form of bank transfer or similar, I want to get my money back if something goes wrong.

2 Likes

I think this prescription will limit the FOV vertical and horizontall. I heard from many people that those lenses will nearly always reduce the visible FOV. In the pictures this lenses are looking smaller than the lenses of the headset. Also some area of the headset lenses are blocked by the prescription mount.

I hope that I am wrong, but this is what I know from other people around me.

3 Likes

I am living in Europe, Germany, so a trip to Prag would be possible for me. But I do not know if I want to spend money only for a trip to try out one particular headset.

Could make sense to avoid paying money for a order and the hole sending back and waiting for refund thingy.

But thanks for the information anyway, maybe it will be the best for me to do that and to travel to Prag for a demo. If you are spending up to 10K, you should know if this is something for yourself or not.

1 Like

A few days ago on eBay were a Xtal 5K offered for 3K, but the risk for not likeing the headset and then to sell it again with possibly money loses is to high. I did not ether knew at that time that I want the 5K Version and not the 8K Version, only thanks to this Forum I now know this. So sad that there are no retail sellers for Xtal headsets, like for Varjo or Pimax.

I am not sure but @mixedrealityTV might also have an Xtal you can try at his mrtv headquarters.

1 Like

It is possible that hypervision has been a lens supplier for Vrgineers as it hadn’t been visible of anyone using there other lenses.

I was always curious of there earlier robo headsets(Said to have 170 wide fov) with claims of dp lengths of was it 50 to 100 feet?

1 Like

Could be the case indeed, only problem is that mrtv does not offer the MRTV experience at the moment, as far as I know. If you should encounter the opposite information, please let me know, thanks!

1 Like

You would have better info on that being local. I imagine covid really put a downer on concepts like mrtv experience.

You might be able to contact seb especially if on his patreon.

1 Like

Correction not Robovr but vrhero

I’d definitely recommend doing that in this case, A few hundred bucks for the trip is nothing in comparison to the headset price. The big advantage is that if you feel something is not right (blurriness in the center for example like I had) you can directly discuss with them and they can offer you a solution and show you version with lens inserts for example. What are you going to do when you have such problem at home? Send it back, while the problem might be (not might not be) easy to solve? Anyway just my 2 cents. Also if you like the headset, you can immediately buy it and take it with you, deduct the shipping and the trip is already almost free anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is very valid point. Ppl whom have found the Xtal.terrible at shows may need special adjustments done in software and possibly an add on lenses to have a good xp due.to sensitivity.

1 Like

You can actually buy a headset direkt there? I did not know that before, that changes a lot of things regarding this trip. Ok, then I will consider that for sure! Thanks!

Your arguments and point are of course valid and true. Nice that they are decducting the shipping price, if you are buying it directly there.

I should be more patient and should try it out first, before any money is moving.
I mean a lot of folks are stating always the same, problems with the lenses, fuzzy picture, eye strain and so on. I hearing that not so often from the pimax headsets, so this has to say something about the probability I will like the Xtal Headsets and that will be small after all the experiences from the people of here.

Anyway, do not ever hesitate to give me some tips and opinions, they are always welcome!

1 Like

I will say @Djonko is a very good resource as long ago he created his own flasher tool and debug firmware for pimax headsets… Firmware tool was to correct an issue in early pimax flashing tool. The Debug firmware was primarily to unbrick an early pimax hmd then flash with the firmware needed.

1 Like