Wow VoodooDE tested the starvr one and he is blown away by it!

I would shill out easily 2k if I could be sure it’s gonna be good for 5yrs. I’m not a resolution junkie either. Because of that the bummer was no USB port for extras, I still hope for hand tracking modules becoming widely used in coming years. Forward facing camera is another thing that could be more relevant in future since MR have the potential to use it afaik.

1 Like

$3000 euros would be $4500.00 Ca. I think I will wait for the price to drop hehe. Good to see the tech advancing though. It will eventually have a descendant that will be a more realistic price for the home user.
The first CD recorder (not even DVD) was single speed and $3000. Look where they are now. You early adopter do buy it though. It will push the development and lower prices.

2 Likes

Interesting. Now it makes even more Sense; StarVR One specs mentions Quadport Rendering. Now I recall reading they were using Eye Tracking as well for Auto Ipd & Distortion correction.

So the lenses don’t need to be perfect at all; but this makes sense with them setting requirement to min 1080 as it has to divide the pic into 4 viewpoints to render. The Dynamic Distortion correction would be simply to accommodate eye position changes in terms of angle viewing through the lens.

Now if pimax can at least get the dynaminc distortion correction implwmented will make it a happy medium. However it does put a lot of real pressure on Vrengineers(sp?) Xtal headset.

The Xtal’s said by Ben to have better clarity then StarVR One. But you need to have the neck of a bulldog to use it & it’s absolutely enormous.

Now @bubbleball posted Idealens is building a 180 FoV headset; the pics make it look like it’s not using angled screens.

1 Like

Even with upscaling it could have nicer pic; but they will need to minimally get Dynamic Distortion eye tracking work. Now StarVR One might be restricted to Nvidia atm to get all the goodies working.

1 Like

Ah keep in mind it works perfectly with what has been shown. This doesn’t mean that all games will work perfectly. The real test will be when it’s in folks hands like @Sjef & others whom can afford it.

But with Oled has 1 critical flaw & that’s the risk of screen burn in. This is one of the reasons why Dell abandoned there awesome oled Computer monitor they were working on. Can you imagine how pissed a graphics designer would be to find the tool bars burnt into the screen?

Still want to see if Microled or a real Quantum dot display(free of lcd tech) evolves; all the plus of Oled with none of the pitfalls like uneven organic decay or burnin.

1 Like

I honestly really don’t care too much about the price. We all know it’ll most likely be somewhere between the $2500-$5000 range. If that’s the case then sign me up! I don’t even make a lot of money and my job salary is fairly small, but I will do whatever it takes to save up and get one these, because having an awesome, kickass VR HMD is THAT important to me!

3 Likes

Did they only let you try custom app? i guess for any standard games you will still have distortion issues.

I’d pay 2k max for it ,I’d feel sick to my stomach if I spend anymore and then next year comes they put in a higher resolution panel.

3 Likes

Same here. Over $5000 and I might pass. Next year is going to be VERY huge in terms of new display tech coming out (JDI, BOE, Kopin, probably Samsung, LGD etc) so we all know this HMD is going to be ‘old’ soon and like @Virtualdaydream just says, it would surely feel bad to pay that much while even better tech is coming up soon …

1 Like

It’s strange people have such a difficult time believing good lenses can exist.
Go try a pair of modern spectacles. The decent ones are distortion free with sweet spot covering the entire lens. They can bend light in all sorts of complicated ways. They’re not expensive.
They’re not made by a toy company who keeps playing with plastic molds.

1 Like

What’s funny is the experience you could get if you used the optilife lenses that Infiniteye first used, with proper rendering and Distortion correction.

It almost seems like Pimax has gone for an injector type of setup with the 8k, IE a software layer/wrapper that handles all their distortion on top of the game software without requiring specific optimization or programming.

Because of that I don’t think some Distortion will be fixable.

Are you referring to Oculus or HTC ? :wink:

1 Like

I believe the video mentions that they took 2.5 years for the lenses to get where they are now.

I want to hear “wow” by pimax 8k too, haha.

No I also played normal SteamVR Apps!

5 Likes

Calm down on high res future everyone!

Today we are at the doorstep of FullHD ray tracing fx at 60 FPS for north of 1k for the GPU only…

3 Likes

You do know that say an overhead projector uses 2 lenses. 1 to compress the image & one to uncompress it back to normal.

Plus glass lenses are heavy & may break if dropped.

Now if you mean glasses; that is made for a specific use. Not making tiny screens life size. :laughing:

What games did you play?

they sholud prepare like HTC and other manufactures 2 price points
1- for enterprice bundled with dedicated apps , comercial programs ( 5000~10000USD /Euro)
2 - for premium home user ( 1500~3000 USD/Euro)

My guess If there will be only one pricing than this HMD will be beyond 5000USD/EURO range and for home individuals this mean a very bad investment becouse in 1~2 year competitors might do similar headset with better PPI and resonable prices.
I have some savings but I definitly prefer spent this money for my kid than 1~2 year gaming in this headset.

BTW anyone noticed that ACER representative in MRTV video said that this version is not manufacured one so evrything is great now but we don’t know what visual quality they will achive after tooling and mass production

2 Likes

It takes a lot to break a good glass lens. I would glady trade some weight for good glass optics. Also, depending on the way you mount the HMD to the head, weight can be less of an issue.

1 Like