Would you sell or giveaway your old HMD now that you got your Pimax HMD?

Whatever VR Headset you’ve had until now, does Pimax HMD replaces your VR-time completely or do you miss and still go back and forth from your old HMD?

I have Samsung O+ and I wonder if I should just keep it or sell it before value goes down once my Pimax arrives…

What do you think?

1 Like

I think that you have to evaluate it yourself. Everyone has their impressions. I also had Odyssey Plus and waited for Pimax 5K +. For a week I was wondering which set to use. In the end, I decided to sell Odyssey Plus, but only because I believe that Pimax will be able to improve smart smoothing. Odyssey Plus had beautiful colors, with VR Cover they were super comfortable - but because of low resolution and antiSDE they did not have enough sharpness and clarity. I use goggles only for flights on the DCS simulator. It’s important there. If Pimax does not improve the smart smoothing function - to avoid double vision during flights - then I will sell Pimax and purchase HP Reverb. I prefer the smoother image movement during the flight than FOV.

3 Likes

Sold instantly, zero doubts. My use is racing only however, you may want to wait a bit to make sure Pimax fulfills your needs.

4 Likes

Like other said here it depend what application/features are the most important for you. I also had the OD+ and the black level, SDE and colors are wonderful but definition was lacking. Even with small FOV the Pimax 5+ or 8K are better for SIMs. but for adventure games, colors and SDE are on the OD+ side.

FOV, resolution = PIMAX
Colors, SDE =OD+

If you feel FOV constraint on your actual headset maybe this is enough to tip the balance in favor of Pimax. But you will still miss colors and SDE of the OD+, no win/win scenario here

Having both to compare side by side my personal choice was that I sold my OD+ and keep my Pimax but I’m eagerly waiting the next iteration of both headsets. So if your short on cash better keep only one and reserve your money for your next purchases in one year or so, they are not our final headsets!

And finally OD+ tracking is just enough to do the job, specially the hand controllers. Pimax on the other side is still in a kind of beta stage. Better wait to have both in hand before any decision. The resale value of the OD+ is low if you think about the special price (about 350 US) Samsung offered twice now.

2 Likes

Does Iracing still require PP enabled in Pitool ?

I’m keeping mine previous headsets as memorabilia, but there is no way I’m using any other VR than pimax at home.

I would sell it if you need to money.

3 Likes

Hey just a heads up if you aren’t aware that raceroom doesn’t need PP and it’s free :wink:

3 Likes

Hi I definitely can’t see me wanting anything with a 110 degree field of view after the liberating FOV of a Pimax. Very disappointed with the latest oculus offering. Single display etc.

1 Like

Once I receive the new lighthouses I’ll be donating my old Vive to my brother, he only plays driving games and Elite Dangerous so has no need for the controllers yet.

1 Like

I use my headset almost exclusively to fly in DCS World. Yes, I sold my Rift.

Despite some early difficulties with performance, the Pimax now runs well enough and looks awesome enough for me not to go back to the Rift.

3 Likes

I will keep my Rift for a couple of games until I can get controllers comparable to Touch. I find Vive wands to be unacceptable for In Death and Arizona Sunshine. I also have had no success in getting Dirt Rally running in Revive, but I can still enjoy it in Rift despite the fov.
For all else that I play my 5K+ is my choice.

1 Like

I do not know I will ask a friend.

Mrs Teatime has my Rift and we both play Elite Dangerous, either in multi-crew or a wing.

I have a plan to get another 8K or 5K and then the Rift will be sold.

Can i ask what’s your pc’s specs please :slight_smile:

I just tried my Pimax 4K before planning to pack it up as a backup. Wish i hadn’t, my positive memories about it are ruined now:).
It feels like a child’s toy now compared to P5k+. Only good thing about it is PPI and SDE but what good are they when it doesn’t feel like VR anymore, more like 3D googles with a sneak peek into what VR should be.
Will probably give it away to a friend/relative.

3 Likes

My friend told me iR currently requires parallel projection workaround.

1 Like

alright, thanks a lot for asking :call_me_hand:t4:

1 Like

I will definitely keep my Od+. Although 5k+ is interesting (now that I have found it is usable by putting more face foams in) it still lacks a lot too. The world still isn’t quite right in 5k+, there’s the eye strain issue and the pixels are really obvious and scream ‘I’m lcd’. The screen door (black between pixels) is not obvious at all but each square pixel really is obvious.
When I put Od+ back on there’s the wow of the colours and black again, the caressing comfort of the world being the way it should, the pixels being less obvious and no creeping feelings of something is messing up my brain… and I feel fine afterwards. The loss of fov isn’t anywhere near as big a deal as I thought it would be.
I’m still new to 5k+ as I took a months holiday and it arrived a couple of days after I left so I may still find improvements in use but I really can’t see myself getting rid of Od+ for pimax alone. I think it’ll be use both…but shorter stints for pimax with the eye strain and the world not being quite right. And Od+ as the welcome relief that I can play all night.

1 Like

At the beginning I had similar. I managed to get used to Odyssey Plus. After setting up the VR cover they were super comfortable and really met my expectations. At the beginning when I received the Pimax 5K + picture quality difference, lack of colors and SDE a little disappointed me. But this is only the first contact. I noticed that there is something that I call getting used to seeing goggles. It’s as if the brain learned new goggles after a while. Their optics. At the moment, it was 2.5 weeks and I really liked the new Pimax 5K +. At the beginning I also had the impression that the FOV is not such a jump - but when I flew on the DCS World simulator for a longer time, and then changed it to Oddysey Plus - it suddenly felt like I was looking through a hole in the wall. I note that I am flying to large FOV using the FFR Conservative. I sold my Samsung Oddysey Plus goggles and I do not miss them anymore. I also like the scale of the world and the fighter’s cabin in DCS. It’s 1: 1 when it seemed too small at Samsung Oddysey. The only thing I miss is that smart smoothing works well. For now, DCS does not work and during the flight I see double vision and jittering many times. I am waiting for a new revised version of PiTool. Pimax, I keep my fingers crossed !!!

5 Likes

Trying to sell my O+ at the moment. No luck so far.