"World moving with you" phenomena. What, Why and Fixable?

The “Movement of the world” is related to distortions; in one version of PiTools it was reduced, in another it was almost eliminated and now it’s back.
I don’t think it’s the fault of the 80Hz, because the PiTools version I saw that almost eliminated it was using that frequency.

The sum of corrections reduces performance and I suppose, I don’t know, that it won’t give so much time to fix that distortions for not too powerful equipments. Will they abort the corrections before finishing, to show the frame in time?

That would explain that with the nVidia 1080 of Oscar the correction does not end so well and those who go to the Real o Virtual demos see a worse “Movement of the world” distortion, while our happy three friends, who have much more powerful equipment, see it better or directly not see it at all. Would explain that SweViver didn’t see anything and that Sebastian only saw it in the 8K, which consumes more.

If that’s the case, does SweViver see distortion on his laptop?

What do you think @Sean.Huang, @SweViver, Sebastian(@mixedrealityTV), and @VoodooDE ?

2 Likes

my point was that there should be a lens profile, that its fixed thing and a pitool update does not change the lens profile
if the profile is wrong for some reason (lens swap at factory) you will have trouble that other people can’t reproduce, if its general problem with the calibration process then all units should have problems

or if you take the unit apart (like done in the vive/gearvr mod) and reassemble it, there is a chance the factory calibration is off by some margin and you will not have to right setup anymore

the difference from reading seems to be the slow/general vs. fast movement and on the other hand it seems that the Spanish testers had the problem all the time even after the point mrtv said it was fixed for him (before the berlin meetup) and it reappeared lately on 8k with fast movement

This would actually make sense since the latest Pitool gave Sweviver better performance but apparently introduced this issue again, maybe it was in exchange of those corrections. Also sweviver not noticing it may be related to his greatly overclocked rig helping him not to notice the issue were others that don’t overclock or have inferior hardware were more exposed to it, it could be interesting to compare their rigs, perhaps it’s related to memory speed or cpu overclock.

Even sweviver mentioned that this pixel persistence effect happened a lot on the M1 but was no longer present on M2. If refresh rate was the culprit and as MRTV says its unfixable, it shouldnt have improved much since 8k and 5k+ are still using the same refresh rate than on the M1.

1 Like

Every PiTools has his own lens distorsion profile. The problem exists before any change in the hardware.

There was only 8K versions of the M1.

It should be noted that Pimax has to correct problems in games that do not take into consideration the use of non-parallel screens and also with games that did not take into consideration that could use more than 110 º FOV, so they have to make corrections that I imagine costly in terms of performance. Fixing the lens deformations has to be done after all these new corrections and it also has to be time-consuming.

Thanks man - the direct link was expired, but searching on the title sorted it out. It’s all way above my head, but interesting nonetheless – I guess at my level, my main takeaway is that Sam Fisher will be a great deal less conspicuous in the near future. :wink:

1 Like

I found this on the TH Pimax review: “First, we tried the normal FOV setting with PiTool set to 1x scaling, and SteamVR set to 100 percent scaling. With these settings, our GTX 1070 managed an average of 42.56 fps, which isn’t even fast enough to use reprojection to hit the desired 90 fps to match the refresh rate of the display. The game was playable, but we wouldn’t recommend it because it was hard to hit a moving target when reprojection is in use. The process also produces a distracting ghosting effect that surrounds moving objects.”

That sounds awfully similar to this issue, and it seems connected to bad performance just like @Cdaked suggested.

2 Likes