Will the 12k be wireless? What Does Physics Say?

What I’ve read about it is that software has to support Varjo’s API in order to perform DFR. Which currently amounts to nothing except Varjo’s own sample applications. Do you know if this is actually true?

From what I understand, VR headsets with eye tracking have existed for a long time (Vive Pro Eye), and API’s for foveated rendering exist, but they’ve had almost no traction. So there may be a period here where DFR is possible but not actually supported.

I think Pimax may be forcing FFR/DFR support into games via code injection. Because the games themselves do not actually support it. That is, pitool is effectively modifying the game to make it support this feature (or trying to and sometimes failing which is why it doesn’t work on all games).

Does anyone know more about this? I could be totally misinformed.

I agree, and I see Sony jumping in on this as a major benefit for the VR industry particularly because it resolves the industry wide lack of traction for DFR. Certainly for games that port to PSVR2, as you say. But I imagine probably across the board, too. It moves it toward becoming a stock, expected feature for all games.

I’m about 90% sure this is the case, it’s also how the VRPerf toolkit does it, though it does it with significantly less compatibility than Pimax and it’ll just flatout crash the game most of the time, so I could be wrong. But I’m also pretty certain the game needs to support Variable Rate Shading to even have a hope of activating, assuming it doesn’t get blocked by something like anti-cheat(Such as what happened with Pavlov once it added EAC), so it isn’t exactly specifically supporting ETing and is kind of jury rigged, but it does work for a chunk of games. Why I mentioned it wasn’t really optimized and we could, and probably will, see larger gains once it’s more officially supported and optimized for. I recall seeing something about Sony and a patent for also reducing the geometry based on if you were looking or not using DFR? I can’t find it right now though.

But the foundations for it to work in at least some manner are technically already there and can get good gains, even if not really used by most, Varjo included outside some of their apps.

Thanks. Appreciate the response. Good discussion. Learned alot.

Nice! I think that’s what I think I meant to say. That its not supported by the software very well. Yes I know DFR is “supported” by Varjo. I didn’t make any “claims” that I know of that Varjo didn’t support it. There’s certainly nuance to the words “supported” and “utilized”… clearly I used the wrong word.

Regarding DFR support, the issue isn’t anymore on the hw side nor the sw stack, the issue lies with SteamVR having no DFR functionality as of now.

But as OpenXR is making big strides and actually has a functional DFR stack, I expect Valve will have to introduce this asap in order to not lose any more market share than is already happening. That, or SteamVR fully implements OpenXR en lieu or parallel to OpenVR (OpenXR compatibility is already present in SteamVR).

No developer can afford not supporting a low friction technology that close to all GPUs used can support and that is trickling down into B2C HMDs in the mid term.

1 Like

Pimax is just using Nvidia based FFR with ET primarily. So it depends on the game’s support of VRS iirc.

I think Kevin kinda confirmed our conclusions. 200Hz not possible at 12K, but he did confirm 12K at 90hz!

Sounds like 1 DisplayPort1.4, which will limit severely! - then we get to start all over again with the - “Cable accessory” later DP 2.0

Most likely, Pimax is implementing a WiGig 2 module. WiGig 1 was limited in resolution capability in the Vive Pro 2. And the Pimax 8KX has higher resolution. So the 12K QLED, even if the foveated transport and other tech reduce the data flow, will probably use WiGig 2.

1 Like

Way too much focus of wireless and standalone capability fROM my perspective, but Im a a brute-force AAA game PCVR guy. Wife and kids will love the beat sabery wifi stuff.

That isn’t what was said. Was talking about 6E not Wigig. With wigig you can get much closer to spec than 6E. Time will tell how close we can actually get.

4 Likes

Hey Kevin, it might be time for the team to revisit the early plans from the KS to create the AiO module they had advertised. As this could be a way to modify the idea and still have a Wireless module of sorts for earlier non Reality P2 hmds.

How close are you right now? Resolution and refresh rate wise?

1 Like

Well, regarding DFR, that usually has a lot more requirements and can’t just be injected. For example, IL-2 Great Battles has deferred shade rendering, directx11 and OpenVR. Hard to get DFR running there.

Oh well then…Ill be happy to see otherwise. Thanks for clarifying. So 6e gets 2.5 k per eye? That really does change the meaning of what was said. That is impressive!..(if the lag is not significant)

I reckon it’s still wigig 1 but with some compression. Kinda like Quest 2 with Airlink but the compression wouldn’t need to be remotely anywhere near as severe.

1 Like

In the video, he had two different wireless modules: WiGig and Wireless HD. He mentioned that Wireless HD has more bandwidth, and that they’re trying out both modules and deciding which one to go with.

1 Like

Thats good except seems late to be deciding that. Also from spec i cant tell if they meant 801.11ay. There was a question as to whether it was wigig 1 or wigig 2 in twitter, but i dont think that was asked/answered. And I cant fugure out which is which and what speeds are with which because the wiki is messed up and there’s too many confusing ways to measure throughput…actual vs real vs with/without MIMO, beam-forming.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s too late to be deciding which dongle package to sell at time of launch, that shouldn’t affect the design or manufacturing of the headset itself, and if they already have it functional, and it’s using off-the-shelf parts in a custom shell, they don’t have to rush the wireless module to ship it by end of year.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.