Why does all the processing have to be in the headset?

Hi @pimax,

Serendipity

Is it possible to put all the processing in a box close to the computer that plugs into the computer ports and served to the headset directly? The box can do compression, supply one dense cable to the headset, or even provide wireless 8k streaming to the headset. The headset would be lighter, only requiring the panels and accompanying hardware, and no up-scalling would be needed because the box would supply 8k @90 hz, regardless of what the video card produces.

Did I hit or soething?

The headset is already lighter than Vive and Rift, it doesn’t need to get any lighter. Every hands-on has been amazed at how light is is, compared to how it looks. And what would be the difference if a box attached to the headset did upscaling instead of the headset?

Just seems to me an external box would be pointless and an extra step to plugging things in (and an extra thing to deal with in terms of dragging cables around while in VR). And then when they release the wireless add-on, you’d have the broadcaster and the box hooked up to your PC rather than just the broadcaster.

> no up-scalling would be needed because the box would supply 8k @90 hz, regardless of what the video card produces.

With respect that makes no sense from what I can deduce.

You appear to be proposing using upscaling (by refering to a breakout box away) away from a motherboard and GPU in a PC case and off the HMD also, but then say no upscaling would be required in this breakout box and it doesn’t matter how strong the GPU is?

My question would be, what would be inside the breakout box to run 8K@90hz, if it’s not an upscaler? Also, don’t forget nothing on the market can run 8K@90hz, as this is 4 x 4K panels at 90hz. A GTX 1080Ti struggles pushing 1 x 4K panel at 60fps.

Thanks.

Just a correction: a GTX 1080Ti can run one real 8K panel at 60fps.
7680 x 4320 at 60fps

You are ignoring technical limitations. There is no external display interface yet that allows to transfer 2x4k@90Hz through a single cable. HDMI 2.1 will be able to, but that was just specified and needs time to end up in hardware. Therefore the box you imagine could not transfer the image to the headset. If we had HDMI 2.1 already, we would not need an upscaler in the headset or an upscaling box in the first place, except for legacy GPUs.
The bandwidth limitations are even worse for Wireless.

The upscaler in the headset is a workaround for this problem, as it is easier to have high bandwidth over a short distance.

8k X will use two cables instead, to get enough bandwidth from PC to headset. That enables it to natively display the full 2x4k.

The whole issue will be solved over time, but the hardware is not there yet. I am hoping for an 8k X with HDMI 2.1 in 1-2 years.

1 Like

I guess if you mean at low settings, but at high settings (I should have been more clear I meant at this level of quality), checkout what a single 1080ti does at 8K on High+ settings:

Uniengine Heaven: 5.5 - 8.8 fps @ Ultra
Rise of the tomb raider: 15 fps @ Very High
Shadow of Morder: 20-27 fps @ Very High

Source: Tweaktown, 8K Benched Vega 64, Vs 1080Ti, Vs Titan XP SLI - Sep 19, 2017.

To be fair, the great game, Bioshock Infinite can manage around 26-37 fps @ Ultra settings, but we’re still a long way off 60fps maxed out on an old game. Source: YouTube, lots of others to search through to look at.

Now lets try 1080Ti in SLI, which sadly still cannot manage 60fps at 8K with the settings turned down from max:

Battlefield 1: 51-52 fps @ High

Rise of the Tombraider: 30-35fps @ Texture/Shadows at High, Sun soft off (Also can’t get constant 60fps with Titan Xp). On ‘the village’ this drops to just 30fps.

Crysis 3: 28-31 fps @ High/Very High
MGS 5: 10-60 fps @ Very High
Just Cause 3: 30 fps @ unknown
Call of Duty, Infinite: 30 fps @ unknown

Source: Youtube - Digital Foundry. 8K Gaming with GTX 1080ti SLI! Can we hit 60fps?

I know, it was only to put the specifications of the card; obviously, as you increase the image quality the fps will go down.
The Pimax 8K needs an nVidia 1080 ti card; better the next nVidia Ampere. Pimax 8K X would need at least the latter.

I misspoke. I meant 2x4k

First off, regardless of whether the upscaler is in the headset or breakout box does not really make a difference for standard operation.
Although you would like the headset to be lighter, it is already pretty light. People say it is way lighter than the Vive and about the same as an Oculus Rift.

BUT if they put the upscaler in the Breakout Box instead of the Headset when the System to make it wireless is released. It won’t work because there will be no upscaler in the headset. We would be viewing a much lower resolution image.

There is no breakout box

They said that as per community request they will make a breakout box(with the same functionality as the one vive has(as in no upscaler)). BUT it will not be included for the kickstarter backers.

Edit it was a reply to irregular programming.

You obviously can not put the upscaler in a breakout box that might come later.