Wheres all the OMG posts?

Too busy playing sorry. I love the 5k+. DAS + cloth mod from a forum member here makes it very comfortable. Just stopped sweat soaked from playing Beat Saber. A graphically simple game but damn is it nice in large FOV.
My vive collects dust unless I wanna go scuba diving.
The pimax makes me play games again!

6 Likes

Just tried my Oculus Go for the first time since I received my 8k, now I understand the Pimax FOV.

The thing is if you go directly to the Pimax, you are going from 220 to 170… not impressive and still less than your natural vision.
You have to switch between the 2 headsets to understand, not necessarily how good (compared to human vision) the Pimax is but how bad other headsets are.

5 Likes

For viewing though, I tested several methods, Virtual Desktop, BigScreen and VorpX, and I always got the best results quality wise with VorpX.
The configuration is a bit more tricky, you have to play with the madVR parameters for it to work, but the end result is worth the hassle.

1 Like

I’ll have to try it out with Vorpx also. I’ve used the other two viewing methods but not Vorpx. Did using Vorpx give you a noticeably better image? I was quite impressed with how well it worked with BigScreen. Any tips on what you had to do with the madVR parameters to make it work in vorpx?

just had another “OMG” moment. Initially, I had no idea that Steam VR caps resolution. After I removed the limit, set PiTool to 2.0 and SVR to 100%… wow, what a quality! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When you find a sweet spot on the settings, the quality just pops dont it?

Still getting “OMG” moments…SDE? what SDE?

1 Like

Exactly - I can second that :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what’s the trick ? :slight_smile:

go to Steam\SteamApps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings and change “maxRecommendedResolution” : 8192

There’s wiki on top of this forum, it is worth going over :slight_smile:

If you did not do that before, prepare for OMG. Image is almost as good as with 2D display :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There really is that “OMG” moment when it arrives…:sunglasses:

I’m away from home right now so i cant try this but from my experince so far, running Pitool at 2.0 and steam SS at 100% will bring my 1080ti to its knees. What am i missing here?

1 Like

Yes, it brings 2080ti to its knees, but I prefer quality to high framerate. I get around 40FPS in rFactor 2, playble. We really need smoothing to get improved, because it is unlikely full quality and full refresh rate will be playable until 4080ti.

Interesting that you mention rf2. Thats all i play. Would love to have an OMG visual experience with it. So you run it routinely at 40fps with the strong quality settings discussed above? What mode do you use 64, 72, or 90?

1 Like

same here, that’s the only VR game I care about.

I am still learning - I do not know if above settings will work in rain, for example. But with 8700k@5ghz/2080ti +190mhz core/ +1200 mhz mem I find it fairly playble. One issue I have is that smart smoothing is unusable (I have it off), which is an issue because with ASW I never needed 90FPS. I am running 90Hz, without SS there’s no point going lower, and as I mentioned SS does not work well.

Thanks. Ill keep experimenting… when i get home. Youre rig is more powerful than mine so ill expect somewhat lesser results.

If I were in your shoes, I’d keep Pitool setting at 2.0, but then keep lowering SS in SVR until it is playable.

Will try…

OMG ! I tried, and that’s just amazing !
That’s just what I was missing. Thank you so much, I had read about this but had forgotten about it by the time I got my 8K.

Let me try to help you in return !

To watch Blu-Ray 3D movies in optimal conditions, you have to:

1. Follow the guide previously posted in this thread:
    https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watch-3d-blu-ray-movies-on-the-htc-vive-or-oculus-rift-without-having-to-re-encode-the-movie/

2. Apply the max resolution tweak to SteamVR, push it to 8192 at least.

I’ve set PiTool to quality 1.0 and then cranked SteamVR up to 250%, that’s 7008x6173 per eye according to the Stream VR settings but I’m sure those numbers are not exact when it comes to the 8K… I tried higher (300%) but I didn’t notice any more image improvements and started getting occasional frame drops.

I only own a 980ti graphic card, but the movie playback doesn’t seem to use much resources and it was smooth at 250%.

1. Set your Pimax refresh rate to 72hz.

Why? Because movies have 24 images per second. 72 is a multiple of 24 (3x24=72) and you will get smoother playback.
This also allows you to enable smooth motion in MadVR and get top notch results.

1. Set your screen resolution to 4K !

Why? Because when you setup MPC-HC to display side by side or top/bottom 3D, you only use HALF the resolution, so you will lose quality since Blu-Ray 3D movies are in 1920x1080, while you will only send half that resolution to the headset if you playback the movie in 1920x1080. I use side by side, and that would be 960x1080 only per eye. Poor.

If you set your screen to 4K, you will have 1920x2160 per eye, using the full resolution of the 3D video.

You can use the tweaks possible with both nVidia and AMD drivers to display 4K even on a 1080p monitor. For nVidia it’s calling “Dynamic Super Resolution”, I don’t remember the name for AMD but it works too since I was using it when I had an AMD card with my old 4K headset.

Another solution is to configure a Surround setting (or the AMD equivalent) with two 1080p monitors in order to be able to display the full Blu-Ray 3D resolution per eye.

But if you want the optimal experience, you need 1920x1080 per eye on your monitor(s) since that’s used as input by VorpX (but also BigScreen and Virtual Desktop).

1. Start MPC-HC, wait until the VorpX dialog saying it’s trying to attach to MPC appears, and then in File menu select your disk in “open disk”, when it starts playing, put MPC in full screen to make full use of the resolution, and prepare to be literally blown away. Welcome to your very own personal I-Max giant screen home cinema. The 3D effects, specially in native 3D movies like Avatar, will come right into your face, specially in the “immersive screen” mode of VorpX. You are IN the movie. And the screen door effect is as good as non existing.

Bonus: If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 (or better) home cinema audio receiver to go with it like I do, it’s even better, just let the sound go through that instead of the headphones.

11 Likes

Ok, I received a Vive base and now I can say “OMG” officially :slight_smile: It is not only working well, it is best tracking I ever had compared to oculus and WMR, because I’ve not noticed any drift at all.

There are some things that could be better, and top of my list would be: a) Smart Smoothing is unusable in rFactor 2 (so I hope it gets improved) b) I believe I have one dead pixel (always blue). AFAIK this also can happen with LCD monitors, so I wouldn’t take this as a negative reflection on Pimax 5k+. It is also impossible to see while actually using the device in game.

Other than that, racing with high FOV/resolution is amazing!

4 Likes

Ive been telling friends to come round and see my “PIMAX OMG’s” :sunglasses::heart_eyes::star_struck:

2 Likes