What Pimax needs to do to stop being janky

I just found some technical missinformation from you and try to help you to learn. Or was it it “lying” to discredit the OP’s statement?

Then I apologize for getting in the way of this insidious plan.

1 Like

What is the overall capability of Crystal? Resolution? Clarity? Price? Wirelesness? Eye Tracking? Hand tracking? Market position? Store? Dev support? Confidence? MRTV interviews? Etc…

I would say most important is sales as sales keeps your company afloat.

So once again whats your take on the OP?

Sargon did not ask a question. He made a serious of statements.

If that was what you meant, then I thought he has some thoughtful opinions and many of his suggestions are things Pimax should take to heart.

3 Likes

Why didn’t he just PM Pimax direct? Why make a forum post - to attract attention?

So this thread should be locked then.

1 Like

Silly take…

What’s yours?

I think Sargon’s points are all valid. Being an enthusiast (fan boy, yes), all of these things suit me fine, with the exception of the toxicity in some places. But yeah…I generally agree with his assessment…love my 8kx, hate what Ive had to do to make it work for the 15-20 games I play, and have been frustrated by being strung along with development.

Theres nothing wrong with an enthusiast based company. That how all of the best started. Hopefully they can transition to a good blend of the customer-facing side while retaining their driving passion. Else we have their current competitors, right?

Not sure a progress-to-finished-product number would be much good either; My own personal work experience would suggest to me that the old adage: “the last 10% is 90% of the work”, is more rule than joke… :7

1 Like

There is and it’s called profit. No Profit and you end up like HP.

Pimax has been bailed out twice with two multi million dollar Investments. I doubt they will get a third. Operating cost v Profit. You can’t make losses forever. Crystal needs to sell well around 8000 units a year for Pimax to break even by my calculation.

1 Like

Checkout Reddit. Plus I know some have difficulty with there own perception due to very limited time on the forums. Otherwise they would have better awareness of contributions as some were on the PimaxVR committee that directly contributed to the success of the Kickstarter and even made tools like proper working flasher tool and made there own special firmware to unbrick p4k and p1:B1 model. That firmware has also been used on the p2 series with that firmware flashing tool.

The KS was a great boost for pimax overall. However it also caused a lot of upset due to poor communication and consistent missed dates and radio silence. The forum has been stuck because of the past dark clouds of those days.

What is not very good is to have procedures changed to start a process of healing and change to only have some member(s) not even giving change any chance by sending a dm less than 1 week since the changes came into effect. Fortunately that looks to be a small minority. To which it has already demonstrating there are indeed positive changes.

The forum was not prepped for the original Kickstarter and is why largely the forum is not as user friendly as it could be.

To that end Pimax has a special Announcement category for easy to post information free of non pimax members posts.

And to be clear you mean consumer headsets as there are indeed hmds at the enterprise level and there not easy for non enthusiasts and why they have tech support subscriptions. I find often people are over complicating things at times with too much tinkering. Except of course when there is something truly off like bad firmware/bad flash.

3 Likes

For one stop making presumptions of things you do not have any hard information on.

This isn’t the Musk Twitter fiasco which is wide in the open of clear failings.

Or say the big 3 North America Auto makers whom regularly get bail outs they don’t need.

3 Likes

Sargon is spot on- the user experience has to get friendlier. Auto IPD is part of that. Another part is overall communication and marketing.
Pimax has gotten better at service, but there’s always room for polish there for any company.
I had quite a time setting up my 8KX and likely would have even given up if not for the help I. This forum and later tech support. I ‘bricked’ my 8KX twice just trying to update the firmware.
Help from Pimax tech support was excellent for me, but it shouldn’t be needed just to fix a firmware update glitch.
Once all that got sorted the8KX became outstanding. But I can see how some users might get frustrated beyond human endurance and just walk away.

2 Likes

One of the problems though you can’t call consumers of headsets in this class ‘casual’. Casual consumers are folks whom buy easy to use hmds like the Quest, WMR and even the Index(Though SteamVR can be a bit tricky for first time setup). Casual users are not usually folks spending $1000 to $3000 just on a video card. Most casual user’s pc wouldn’t typically cost more than $1500 for the complete pc.

The biggest issue has been due to poor testing software prior to open public release and seemingly ignoring user feedback like for example forced firmware updates. To the point many have stopped updating pitool and firmware due to the updates often breaking things that worked fined.

Then also having Pimax Experience development shelved without something equal or close as a replacement. It was drastically improving the end user xp. One of the worst mistakes imho pimax has made to date.

A fairly common complaint I have seen is the change to compulsive smart smoothing now being unusable when all they need to do is restore the option for 1/2 vs only 1/3.

Myself? Generally haven’t been a fan of some of the artifacts/issues I have observed with smart smoothing so usually avoid it.

2 Likes

And the G2 overall Renders considerably less than the 8kX. With the 8kX set to Small FoV it is rendering close to the same/equal or maybe more as the G2.

3 Likes

You seem to be oblivious to the obvious. He is trying to help you learn how to be technical instead of using rabbit hole logic.

ie 8kX Small FoV is around equal or more than hp g2 full resolution and when on equal ground of near same resolution being rendered with similar FoV the 8kX performs better. Now it is too bad the G2 cannot render a larger FoV due to it’s hard limitations of screen size and optics. Otherwise you might actually understand the performance gaps being presented.

If you render a g2 at less resolution you get less details as your still using full viewport.

3 Likes

Presumptions again? You know for sure he hasn’t dm’d them?

1 Like

I pretty much concur with Sargon’s general position in the OP. There are some things which could be debatable, given more clarification. However, on the whole I think Marketing and Communications are not PIMAX’s strong points. It’s not uncommon for there to be disconnects within a company between Marketing and Engineering. I think there’s certainly room for improvement. It’s hard to change how a company operates while creating a good product. You really need to adopt a practice of 1 step back and 2 steps forward. I surmise PIMAX senior executives are more concerned with being first/fast to market and give little attention to the above practice due to other short-term urgencies.

What PIMAX has to avoid, is trapping itself into an ‘Over Promise & Underdeliver’ situation.
I feel it’s currently trending this way.

3 Likes

LOL currently? It’s been literally like this since day one since they released the 4k. But it seems you start to see it now too.

Be careful though. People are funny. They literally want to be lied to. If you make a post on why you believe there’s good news around the corner, you’ll get a lot of love. If you post reality, they’ll hate you. This has been going on forever, I guess it’s just human nature. We have people here who sold their 8kX almost half a year ago to get the money in their hands for the Crystal because they truely believed it would be ready in Q3 last year and made all those ‘positive’ posts about why they thought the release was around the corner. Those posts got a lot of love. And then there are the ‘toxic ones’, those how DARED to claim it was not even close to being ready. Even youtubers like Bradley who dared to say in, what, july?, that the 12k was VERY far from being finished and he got hated on so much … It’s always the same, people hate reality and love to be lied to. This will never change.

3 Likes

So true.

If Pimax were held to the same standard as forum members then they would not be allowed to lie and make presumptions either. Should we ban all MRTV interviews that make presumptions on dates and specs? Ban the Pimax ready list as we know a lot on that list is in fact not ready.

Ban all announcement with dates and ban specs that have not be shown in public working as intended.

If we did this then all the animosity in this community would be gone because there would be no fuel and the fire would not exist. We would be talking about Pimax in the same vain as Sony, HTC, Varjo, Valve and Apple who don’t make wild announcements that aren’t true.

1 Like