What happened to the proximity sensor in the received versions?

@Pimax-Support @anon74848233 @PimaxVR
Seeing images of review and asked some testers of the versions M1 and M2 carried confirm that it carried its sensor of proximity.:hushed:

Looking at my received Pimax 8k … I find that I don’t see it anywhere.

What happened to it? Haven’t you installed it in the final versions sent to the sponsors?:thinking:

You could answer that, thank you!

1 Like

Pimax already said that this sensor is not necessary because the headset goes to sleep after a period of inactivity.

3 Likes

Yes it was a long story here and backers ended up fighting:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/proximity-sensor/9984?u=trevorvr

2 Likes

There is already a thread on this please search for it.

1 Like

To add in short Pimax stated it was due to the internal gyroscope being enough to detect if the hmd was not in use. Thus they could remove the proximity sensor which also according to them lessened issues with the fabric.

But there was heated debate wether that was actually enough, though it has a power button(and volume buttons) that should be enough for most.

3 Likes

They claim they replaced it with a far inferior alternative, which wasn’t replacing at all.
A lot of people didn’t get that it’s the attitude and behaviour that is worrisome.
Pimax released ‘final versions’ and had their youtube slaves review them in extreme depth, had the berlin meet up and pushed the marketing. Pimax then take components away, fundamentally change a function in the hmd, say nothing, keep shipping.
Even if you don’t care about loss of proximity sensor, are there no changes to the ‘final version’ that could be made that would bother you? Is it okay to send one product to review and another to customers without informing them?
Not for me, so I’ll be glad for this dealing with pimax to be over.

Yes and it works fine…

3 Likes

Okay, sorry. Resolved my doubt you can close the thread.

2 Likes