What gift would you like most for the $2m stretch goal?

I’m using wi fi headphones for 16 hours per day, still alive, no worries :smiley:

3 Likes

So TPCast for the Vive is using the newest Wifi standard, which gets to 4.6Gb/s. Yet 2x1.4 DP is 64 Gb/s, so you guys would need something 14x faster… I wonder how you’re going to do that. Knowing Pimax I’m guessing there’s going to be a downside you haven’t told us about just yet :slight_smile: Probably it’s only working for 2x1080p@90 hz, something like that, although even that is already going to be extremely difficult I guess. More likely only 2x720p@90hz.

You’re comparing an enclosed 1kW echo chamber with a small source of no more than 0.1W, which is neither enclosed nor transmitting continuously. Add to that that WiGig, TPCast and the like operate in much higher frequencies and basically cannot penetrate skin (that’s why the body scanner radars operate in similar ranges; skin becomes visible). What you call “burning” your head is literally less than a millionth of the power. A much more relevant number to compare to is that your brain itself is producing about 20W of power. Your main issue is insulating that too much, which is why there are fan accessories for Vive and Pimax 8K.

Your numbers are a little off. DP 1.4 (and 1.3) operate at 32.4Gbps raw bit rate, but that’s 8b/10b expanded (I wonder if 1.5 will allow 64b/66b like 10Gb Ethernet, or even 128b/13xb like PCIe 3 and up), so the effective bitrate is just under 26Gbps. And that’s their maximum rate, even if we assume 32 bits per pixel (it’s normally ~25 due to some other overhead and 8 bits per colour) we’re below 48Gbps for the display panels of the 8K X. Meanwhile TPCast, WiDi, Miracast etc all use some rather agressive video codecs; Display Stream Compression is a much smaller one, and gives compression factors around 2-3. The big tradeoff here is latency and power against transfer bitrate. I’m curious to see what is suggested, but I suspect the TPCast is pushing the boundaries of acceptable quality in the first place.

You might be right. Either way compressing that to 4.6Gb/s that’s most definitely not going to happen lossless. More likely they’re only allowing way lower resolutions like 2x720p or maybe 2x1080p in combination with compression.

Coupon for the wireless module.

I would go for the “eye tracking module” … wireless I am not sure with actual routers speeds and if I want to play in highest resolutions like DSR 5K ultrawide screen?? I prefer fluid communication between PC and HMD.

1 Like

Eye tracking.

Mostly because i don´t believe that wireless is feasible anytime soon.

I highly doubt either wireless and eyetracking are feasible anytime soon. And even if eyetracking would be feasible, you’d still need SteamVR and games/apps to support it.

Yep, both still in early development stage (TPcast barely deliver Vive´s resolution, let alone a 5k signal) but in the eyetracking is much more feasible, just in need of an advanced sensor (for eye saccades) and implementation in software.

Anyway, i really dont believe in either in 2018/9

1 Like

Valve had working 8k 90hz last year with a company called quark. It’s extrwmely feasible and already a product for the vive, and with the 60ghz band it can meet the needs of pimax 8k

1 Like

Link ? I remember that even Intel had problems with their 60hz “solution”.

What makes you say that ? Like I posted above that only satisfies 10% of the needed bandwith. And even that 10% would be difficult, since that would be really pushing it to the max.

Myself? I would hope the Wireless module would use a private band opposed to wifi. Then maybe double up on the 5gb chips; reason? Sharing you internet router with the headset will no doubt. Cause multiplayer games issues.

Any thoughts on Li-Fi?

I vote for wireless module as well. This is the most logical step to free yourself before you can fly…can’t fly with the damm wire…like an umbilical cord still stuck to your mother lol.

1 Like

Wireless module :heart_eyes: Such an awesome stretch goal initiative!

3 Likes

Will have bundle price for both eye tracking and wireless module?

I want all of them, including other module.

2 Likes

Of course, as it’s a coupon, I hope that it means the thing won’t be implemented until it works perfectly :slight_smile:

No rush jobs! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ideally a wireless module would be great, but since I am getting the 8K X, I highly doubt the same wireless solution can be applied to the X model. The amount of bandwidth would be very, very high.

I would very much like to vote for EYE TRACKING. I think that would seriously make the feeling of presence when using the headset not just an idea, but a reality.

2 Likes

I think we’re talking what is still science fiction at the moment.

Beam me up Scotty.

4 Likes