What do I have to do for my custom engine to not require parallel projection?

As the title says, I am working in a custom engine and our game requires parallel projection to render properly in the Pimax. What exactly does their parallel projection setting do and what should I change in the rendering for it to no longer be needed.

5 Likes

@anon74848233 @deletedpimaxrep1 can you guys give this dev some help?

4 Likes

This may be dumb to say, but have you taken a look at their SDK for developing stuff for the pimax? I hope I’m not repeating something you’ve already done.

1 Like

@BarShiftGames Could you link me their SDK?

I only found old stuff for the 4k and Unity/Unreal using Google.

edit To be more exact the SDK I would need would be for C++.

If only David Braben cared this much :confused:

@marulu if this is not for the 8K / 5K headsets, https://pimaxvr.com/pages/developer , then I would suggest waiting for pimax to reply or sending them an email, as their kickstarter page does say it will “integrates with C++ API”, but no link was given, so maybe it’s a special privilege thing?

1 Like

@BarShiftGames Yes, thats one of the pages I found. Lets hope they release the C++ API soon or at least give me a hint on how to do it manually.

1 Like

Half life 2 pimax vr confirmed. :smirk:

2 Likes

@aesopfabled Haha, besides the need for parallel projection it runs great even at the max FOV in my 5k+.

5 Likes

The panels are angled in the HMD, so your engine should be able to account for that. Parallel projection compatability is a hack to deal with engines that don’t support rendering from angled viewpoints.

2 Likes

@Soul If rotation really is everything then why didnt pimax just add it into their projection matrix? Anyway I want to give it a try, do you happen to know the exact angle of both of the cameras?

1 Like

Considering that some games are aware of angled panels and do not require parallel projection mode to be set, I guess there is a way to get that value from OpenVR. I don’t develop for VR, but I can give you a clue, in 4.18 release of Unreal Engine they added supported for HMDs with canted display panels. You might hunt down the relevant commit and disect their implementation.

1 Like

Yeah? That’s awesome. Although when not using parallel projections you get sooo much extra headroom for super sampling. I don’t know exactly what parallel projections does that is so expensive because it seems like it’s just offsetting convergence, if vorpx is any indication. (You can correct what parallel projections corrects by using the vorpx 3d settings)

Canted displays…the latest nvidia architecture also comes to mind.

Thanks for the hint, if there is no word from pimax after monday I will go along that route.

bump (Post must be at least 20 characters)

@anon74848233 @Matthew.Xu @PimaxUSA @PimaxVR @deletedpimaxrep1

The poster asking about making their engine work with pimax without parallel performance killing projections is

on the team of Half Life 2 VR!! Please help him get half life 2 vr working on pimax without parallel projections.

8 Likes

I agree 100%. This should be a high priority task.

4 Likes

@Sean.Huang
@Alan.sun
@Doman.Chen

6 Likes

AFAIK you need to use nvidias (VRworks) and/or AMDs VR library